This OS is in desperate need of a 2nd home screen.

jdd77

Sep 24, 2011
Visit site
There needs to be a 2nd home screen (swipe to right) or hubs that you could put multiple like tiles in that show push notifications. As more apps are downloaded, weather they are for fun or informative, the home screen gets junked up and I spend alot of time pinning, unpinning, and rearranging.
For example: 'words by post' shows push notifications but I dont necessarily want it on my home screen and its ugly. Yet I wanna see when the person Im playing makes a move. I frequently check the 'my verizon' tile but dont want that on there either but still needs to be easily accessible. Other OS's have multiple home screens and it works, so why not wp7?

Last edited:

Rhody#WP

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Instead of having swiping left to right, they should allow you to swipe up and down.

Oh, wait... they already have that.

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
i suppose they could make it more liek Android....

i would MUCH RATHER custom HUBs as well ( Metro vershion of folders)

one thing i would like do, is to SWIPE towards BING SEARCH and not have to hit the search icon, hehe

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Amen! But this convo has been had 10000000 times here. I think most people agree that the notification system sucks. I have all my apps that use notifications on my home screen, but I don't have them at the top or all together, so I pretty much have to check my entire screen to see if I have any notifications from said apps.

aubreyq

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
Amen! But this convo has been had 10000000 times here. I think most people agree that the notification system sucks. I have all my apps that use notifications on my home screen, but I don't have them at the top or all together, so I pretty much have to check my entire screen to see if I have any notifications from said apps.
Although I could use at least one more home screen (e.g. to view a notifications list), something tells me Microsoft will never do it. I wonder how they'll address this valid need we all have because 2 home screens aren't really cutting it, are they?

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
I think the system is fine. You pretty much have unlimited hoemscreen. Only difference is its going up and down instead of side to side. If you want the feeling of a split homescreen, use an app called New Group. Its basically a tile that you use to separate your apps by naming the said tile (example news, games, etc). You can actually leave it blank creating the illusion of blank space. It can either be black or white in color to match the background.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Swiping to the multiple homescreens has been done by android, meego, prefer something more WP7. Notifications should go into a master toast that contains info on the notifications waiting and appears on your screen when you unlock it, a swipe on that to the left on that would bring in more toasts beneath it and you can tap on which one you want to open the related app. Swiping the master toast to the right (as we do now) should dismiss all other toasts you dont want to view right then.

Also allow apps to register update notifications on the lock screen, which then tells you in the first place you have new items 'cos as we know in the current system once you miss a toast its gone and you have no idea if you have any new updates.

E-werd

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
I thought about this myself. It would make sense to have a notification area to the left side of of the home screen (swipe right) to store a list of previous notifications until they are cleared.

Sent from my SGH-i937 using Board Express

jdd77

Sep 24, 2011
Visit site
I think the system is fine. You pretty much have unlimited hoemscreen. Only difference is its going up and down instead of side to side. If you want the feeling of a split homescreen, use an app called New Group. Its basically a tile that you use to separate your apps by naming the said tile (example news, games, etc). You can actually leave it blank creating the illusion of blank space. It can either be black or white in color to match the background.

I accually have that and Ive made verticle home screens with it. But the problem is the display of tiles just keeps getting longer and the more apps you add, the more you need to reconfigure the groups that were made. Although 'new groups' is a nice tool, it feels like just another work-around in this OS.

Big Supes

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
Maybe you could merge live tiles. For example - you press and hold to move or merge a tile. When the tile un-pins, you're prompted with a message "Move tile or merge". After tapping 'merge' it then allows you to drag and drop it onto a compatible tile. In context, you could merge your calculator app with your world clock, percentages app, timer, note pad, etc. Once you're done, the tile would flip on the home screen to show what apps it's merged with.

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I use new group to separate certain apps. It doesn't help with notifications.

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I hope they just don't ignore it. I think Steve Ballmer called a notification screen a "junk drawer" :( It's really the only major area where WP7 is lacking as a OS. IMO.
Although I could use at least one more home screen (e.g. to view a notifications list), something tells me Microsoft will never do it. I wonder how they'll address this valid need we all have because 2 home screens aren't really cutting it, are they?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lolz1234