Am I the only one that thinks Windows phone OS..is ugly?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rootbrain

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
  1. ..is ugly?
I'm going to make the switch from Blackberry and have been signed up on the mobile nations sites for Android, Windows and WebOS (NEVER FOR IPHONE!!!!)

I've been trying to find things to like about winphone, but I think compared to Android, WebOS and even Blackberry, the UI is just ugly. Well, maybe not ugly, just plain old plain. Nothing interesting, certainly not exciting.

Will continue to look, but functionality offers nothing either over the other platforms.

I may be missing something, so thought I'd post and get some feedback, don't want to insult anyone, but really would like to know what's to like here.

If you have a minute and really like the Win Phone, please enlighten me. If I am missing something, I'd like to discover it before I pull the trigger and make the switch.

myanimator

Nov 28, 2011
Visit site
I actually find the UI refreshing and exciting. May I ask what you don't like in particular?

I used an iPhone for 3yrs, my wife has had a blackberry and I used that. I got tired of the iPhone and decided to give a Windows phone (the HTC Titan) a chance. I was really up in the air between Windows and Android for my next phone but I've been really happy with the experience thus far (1.5weeks).

I don't think the Windows phone is for everyone, but for me it works and I have a lot of co-workers really considering a Windows phone after playing with mine.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I don't really see the ugly in it. I really love the UI.

Though I will say that it is MUCH better in motion. Like when you scroll through the front tiles. Seeing the little bounce when it reaches the end like it hit a wall. Or seeing text squash and stretch in browser when you hit the end of a page swiping down.

It's a lot of little things that you really don't get to see unless it's in motion.

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
I find these kind of posts funny. If you find it ugly, then nothing we say will change your mind. Its not like we have any power to change the UI.

enahs555

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
Yeah know, to be true, the interface is kind of ugly in static pictures. I agree, and always felt that way. But the pictures do not tell the whole story, and you REALLY have to interact with one to really get a sense of the UI, and it is a truly wonderful UI.

fisci

Nov 28, 2011
Visit site
I find these kind of posts funny. If you find it ugly, then nothing we say will change your mind. Its not like we have any power to change the UI.
^this

you came from blackberry and find this os ugly?

Lol..

I like how it is a coherent whole instead of pieced together like android.

Last edited:

rpm5101

Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
So pages and pages of app icons is attractive? Live tiles flip over, show images, messages, information...how is that uglier or more "plain" than a static icon?

TaliZorah

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
So pages and pages of app icons is attractive? Live tiles flip over, show images, messages, information...how is that uglier or more "plain" than a static icon?

Well said!

I think it's just because the can't put a purdy picture in the backround.

rootbrain

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
Hmm, well guess you told me. I've played with the Titan, it's a bit of -meh-. Great hardware, but Win7 phone just doesn't make it for me.

Yes, Blackberry is also now -meh- that's why I've decided to switch.

Like I said, didn't want to insult, just gave my impression, but got insults anyway rather than information and opinion that would give me reason to continue to look.

Sorry I wasted the blog space. My post count will now remain at 2 for infinity.

fisci

Nov 28, 2011
Visit site
Hmm, well guess you told me. I've played with the Titan, it's a bit of -meh-. Great hardware, but Win7 phone just doesn't make it for me.

Like I said, didn't want to insult, just gave my impression, but got insults anyway rather than information and opinion that would give me reason to continue to look.

well what were you expecting?

like I posted, the design is coherent and flows throughout the entire experience..

This gets away from the boring, typical rows of icons and tries to do something fresh.

I really think it succeeds.

It's artistic as much as it is functional imo

Duvi

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site

The way you started the thread seemed like you had your mind made up already.

Multiple user suggested that once you need to see it in motion, that may change your opinion about it... Yet you only saw a few comments that you may consider "negative" responses (although I didn't take any of those posts that way). Almost seems like that's what you were looking for.

Can you please explain how WebOS and Blackberry aren't plain to you versus WP?

Maybe you're confusing a clean interface with plain?

I have all of the platforms you mentioned and find blackberry and webOS to be what you are calling WP.

Sent from my 3G iPad 2 using Tapatalk

TaliZorah

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site

Really? You thought "Hey, here is something I don't like... I am going to go onto an internet forum dedicated to this exact thing that I don't like and tell all those people who love it why I don't like it. I am sure I will get great responses from people who want to discuss it with me!"

Really?

Duvi

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
Really? You thought "Hey, here is something I don't like... I am going to go onto an internet forum dedicated to this exact thing that I don't like and tell all those people who love it why I don't like it. I am sure I will get great responses from people who want to discuss it with me!"

Really?
He still didn't tell us the reasons he has those feelings.

jd914

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
I find the WP7 platform elegant highly polished and intuitive. Everyone I showed my Titan to was simply amazed how nice the UI is and how fluid it runs.

jalb

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
  1. ..is ugly?
I'm going to make the switch from Blackberry and have been signed up on the mobile nations sites for Android, Windows and WebOS (NEVER FOR IPHONE!!!!)

I've been trying to find things to like about winphone, but I think compared to Android, WebOS and even Blackberry, the UI is just ugly. Well, maybe not ugly, just plain old plain. Nothing interesting, certainly not exciting.

Will continue to look, but functionality offers nothing either over the other platforms.

I may be missing something, so thought I'd post and get some feedback, don't want to insult anyone, but really would like to know what's to like here.

If you have a minute and really like the Win Phone, please enlighten me. If I am missing something, I'd like to discover it before I pull the trigger and make the switch.

If I were you, I'd just get an Android. Microsoft is really embracing the Metro UI design, and putting it in all their products. If you think it's ugly now, you're going to want to stick in the blender at some point during a two year contract.

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site

Well is seams your done with this and sense I don't see one insult here as you suggest I think I will close this thread.

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers