Verizon lowers the boom (so to speak)

Joelist

Nov 21, 2011
Visit site
Well, at least VZW is speaking up about Windows Phone. Unfortunately what they are saying is not good. Basically it is "deploy LTE phones or we will discontinue Windows Phone".

http://www.winsupersite.com/article...reless-reasonable-demand-windows-phone-141509

And I think Verison is in the right here. Their strategy is pretty obvious - LTE is their future and they see 3G devices as becoming obsolete. This is BAD news for Windows Phone as Verizon is pretty much issuing an ultimatum. It also makes it clear that the blocker here is Microsoft - if they had put LTE support into Mango then Verizon would have worked with the OEMs to get an LTE Windows Phone.

However, it could also be GOOD news in that Verizon seems to be telling MS what needs to happen to get them to support and push the platform. So the ball is in Microsoft's court.

I should note that the link I posted is to a VERY Windows Phone friendly site.

Joelist

Nov 21, 2011
Visit site
I agree. Verizon is not the bad guy here at all - if anyone comes off looking bad it is Microsoft for not putting support for LTE and other current technologies into Mango. Let's see if Microsoft responds to this and what the response is.

naplesbill

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
Honestly, if Verizon were being just and fair (which they will never be), they should give the same ultimatum to Apple with the iPhone.

This is typical Verizon arrogance, and a big part of the reason they didn't get the iPhone in the first place.

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
MS is working on incorporating/adopting/adapting to LTE the Nokia 900 is said to be set to be LTE capable/ready one would be reasonable in thinking that if Nokia is that HTC and Samsung and all the other manufacturers are working to get their devices ready for tango and LTE support.

Joelist

Nov 21, 2011
Visit site
I have heard no official statements at all about MS doing anything to get LTE into devices. Can you cite official statements?

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I haven't seen any "official" statement, but internal leaks/rumors have shown that Nokia plan to make their American splash with LTE phones.

Joelist

Nov 21, 2011
Visit site
Honestly, if Verizon were being just and fair (which they will never be), they should give the same ultimatum to Apple with the iPhone.

This is typical Verizon arrogance, and a big part of the reason they didn't get the iPhone in the first place.

Wrong.

They did not get the iPhone because Apple tried to hold them up for crazy terms. Eventually as Verizon started using Android to catch and pass the iPhone Apple came to them and effectively conceded the points. So now Verizon carries the iPhone but note they don't push it aggressively at all. And while it sold well for them their Androids still sell way more.

IMO Apple's ultimatum will come if the iPhone 5 does not include LTE, because that is more like late 2012 and in that timeframe is where Verizon seems to be looking to start sunsetting 3G phones. RIM they may give a pass to because of all their corporate customers who use BlackBerry.

davidkhou

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
I don't know; I read this statement as not good news that we will see anything from VZ at CES in January. (Or even if we do, nothing released until mid 2012, with Apollo). If they were in fact plannning something big for CES, I'd think that it'd likley be well along the development path and there would be no need for them to issue a statement like this that's basically poking MS in the eye.

I was biding my time with Android on Virgin Mobile until the penny sales over Thanksgiving, and am glad now that I made the switch instead of waiting indefinitely for this saga to play out.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
LTE support will come when it comes. It's not like MS and the manufacturers don't want it. But there's likely already and upgrade timeline, and resources are deployed in the order of importance.

Frankly, if Verizon isn't saying this to all the OS makers, then screw them for not being consistent. I understand why they want LTE phones. But having wide LTE distribution is still at least another year or so away. And the technology in its current phone eats battery life. So I understand why mobile phone makers would want a variety of devices available.

threed61

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
Verizon is brutally consistent about supporting devices that sell well, and dumping those that don't. If your OS has less than 2% of the smartphone market, and isn't seeing much increase, mightn't be better to be ahead of the curve?

Joelist

Nov 21, 2011
Visit site

LTE support will come when it comes. It's not like MS and the manufacturers don't want it. But there's likely already and upgrade timeline, and resources are deployed in the order of importance.

Frankly, if Verizon isn't saying this to all the OS makers, then screw them for not being consistent. I understand why they want LTE phones. But having wide LTE distribution is still at least another year or so away. And the technology in its current phone eats battery life. So I understand why mobile phone makers would want a variety of devices available.

Actually wide LTE distribution for Verizon is here now. They already have their LTE widely deployed (as in it covers areas occupied by roughly two thirds of the US population). What they are doing here is completely logical.

And the whole "wants" issue really means little. It is the technology in demand so enabling the OS to support it should be the absolute A1 priority for MS. As to the OEMs note that pretty much every OEM escept RIM and Apple have deployed LTE devices. And of the two that haven't RIM per multiple sources will be wheeling out LTE BlackBerries next year. And Apple likely will LTE the next iPhone.

This really does go back on MS. Unless they want WP7 to die they need to get current/next generation technologies enabled in the OS and do it quickly.

Joelist

Nov 21, 2011
Visit site
Verizon is brutally consistent about supporting devices that sell well, and dumping those that don't. If your OS has less than 2% of the smartphone market, and isn't seeing much increase, mightn't be better to be ahead of the curve?

Well put - when your platform has a microscopic market share the last thing you should do is drag your feet in embracing cutting edge technology. Embracing the leading edge is a great way to give a platform some "wow" and get it noticed (and thus grow the market share).

canesfan625

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
Represent? Verizon sucks and so does the Trophy. VZW should be careful since they are are well known for forcing their customers to take what they are shoveling vs giving them what they want. Its already well known that they are arrogant.

**EDIT** wait, What about the Radar 4G?

Last edited:

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
I think we've had big hints that LTE is coming in early 2012 so there really is no indication of MS dragging their feet, Verizon is basically just doing what they do best, throwing their weight around.

Microsoft has a roadmap, and they have done a lot in one year and are still working to improve. LTE is just one tech, overhyped to sell new contracts to those who are told to believe bigger, faster is better. Its coming, no need to make a big deal out of it.

Last edited:

Umm Yeah

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
Represent? Verizon sucks and so does the Trophy. VZW should be careful since they are are well known for forcing their customers to take what they are shoveling vs giving them what they want. Its already well known that they are arrogant.

**EDIT** wait, What about the Radar 4G?

Unfortunately, Verizon can afford to be picky. Consumer Reports has come out with their annual cell phone service ratings and for the second year in a row, AT&T came in last place. Of the big four, Verizon came in first (Details here). In some areas, such as where I live, I wish there were a good alternative to Verizon but there's not.

They aren't pressing Apple for LTE because they are selling iPhones hand over fist, which is really all Verizon cares about. WP hasn't been shown to generate the foot traffic like the iPhone so Verizon is merely stating that they don't feel WP will succeed without having LTE to help generate interest. It's just business.

canesfan625

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
Unfortunately, Verizon can afford to be picky. Consumer Reports has come out with their annual cell phone service ratings and for the second year in a row, AT&T came in last place. Of the big four, Verizon came in first (Details here). In some areas, such as where I live, I wish there were a good alternative to Verizon but there's not.

They aren't pressing Apple for LTE because they are selling iPhones hand over fist, which is really all Verizon cares about. WP hasn't been shown to generate the foot traffic like the iPhone so Verizon is merely stating that they don't feel WP will succeed without having LTE to help generate interest. It's just business.

Yeah, I have several friends that are going to be running screaming from VZW as soon as their contract is up. LTE is great and all but anyone with any sense will not put up with their craptastic data plans.

VZW is just talking out of its butt anyway. Let them push their 4 second battery life Android phones all day long. I wonder if a pissing contest starts what will happen with the FiOS/Xbox deal

naplesbill

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
Wrong.

They did not get the iPhone because Apple tried to hold them up for crazy terms. Eventually as Verizon started using Android to catch and pass the iPhone Apple came to them and effectively conceded the points. So now Verizon carries the iPhone but note they don't push it aggressively at all. And while it sold well for them their Androids still sell way more.

IMO Apple's ultimatum will come if the iPhone 5 does not include LTE, because that is more like late 2012 and in that timeframe is where Verizon seems to be looking to start sunsetting 3G phones. RIM they may give a pass to because of all their corporate customers who use BlackBerry.

It is not wrong, and that is a childish way to respond to a post. The arrogance at Verizon did cause them to miss out on the iPhone. You can bet they kicked themselves in rear for that one.

And you are avoiding my other point. The iPhone 4 S was released almost at the same time as Mango and the Mango devices. Yet, Verizon didn't tell Apple they would not promote their new device because it lacked LTE. It was their previous stupidity with Apple that burned them, and now they are afraid to jeopardize that relationship again.

Verizon is notorious for their stupid decisions. How about locking out the GPS on devices for years. The only way to unlock the GPS was to pay for navigation service. They were also the worst for removing or changing features and creating device restrictions.

Their attitude is harmful to consumers as well. They are very Apple-like in this way. Bypass competition through restrictions. They have improved in recent years, but this is still Verizon we are talking about. This nonsense about LTE is laughable at best.

naplesbill

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site

I would never put my faith or money in Consumer Reports. They have some of the dumbest reviews I have ever read, and their testing methodologies are typically skewed and have ridiculous reasons for deducting or adding points.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon