Will WP7 hit 50,000 Apps by year end ?

gibbyhome

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
Well now that we have second gen devices
we now have nokia pushing and advertising Windows phone
and it looks like the app market is finnaly growing quickly
if you take a look at the Marketplace graph its now doubled what the first 10 months have done and it looks like there are more and more Devs pushing Apps ?
WP7applist - Windows Phone 7 Marketplace Stats

I am going to go out on a limb and say that I think Microsoft will hit 50,000 apps before the year is up ..
now I know that it would take over 1,000 per week for the rest of the year but this week alone is allready at 1,500 and we still have today and sunday ..

Who else beleave Microsoft can or cant hit 50,000 apps by the end of the year..

power5

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Its $100/year for a developer to even start making apps to test the waters in WP7. That cuts out a lot of possible apps. Cost for simple iPhone apps by seasoned developers is over $3000. Obama reportedly paid over $100,000 for his app. But to be able to charge that money for apps, developers need to create a portfolio. $100 is cheap given the profit potential, but it costs nothing for iPhone development and the market is more guaranteed. Of course you also have a lot more app competition to get your new fart app recognized.

bitslave

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Well now that we have second gen devices
we now have nokia pushing and advertising Windows phone
and it looks like the app market is finnaly growing quickly
if you take a look at the Marketplace graph its now doubled what the first 10 months have done and it looks like there are more and more Devs pushing Apps ?
WP7applist - Windows Phone 7 Marketplace Stats

I am going to go out on a limb and say that I think Microsoft will hit 50,000 apps before the year is up ..
now I know that it would take over 1,000 per week for the rest of the year but this week alone is allready at 1,500 and we still have today and sunday ..

Who else beleave Microsoft can or cant hit 50,000 apps by the end of the year..
Problem is that most of the 'new' apps are cookie cutter apps that add no value, sure pumps up the figures but if you did a serious evaluation of all the apps in the marketplace and used quality, support, creativity, uniqueness and functionality as the criteria, then the real figures would be much much lower.

The entry bar is too low and needs a crap filter, problem is with that is that the app numbers will drop, so for the foreseeable future it'll be more of same ole so people can spruik 'wow look more apps in WP7'.

Quality not quantity should be the bar to entry.

Cheers.

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
I think we will make it. Good or bad app doesn't matter. Take a look through Apple and Android market portfolio they have the same issue with crap apps. Windows phone is growing fast I hope it just keeps on growing.

bitslave

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Good or bad app doesn't matter. Take a look through Apple and Android market portfolio they have the same issue with crap apps.

I don't know about that, so you are implying that because iphone and android have lots of crap apps then Windows Phone should follow suite just so it can get the numbers?

I've seen lots of people complaining about the lack of quality apps or complaining about the poor quality of apps or lack of support.

So here's a chance for WP to differentiate itself from its competitors and raise the bar for the platform, the developers and ultimately customers.

Cheers.

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
Bottom line bodies count and your not going to nock it out of the park with the fist app you have to start somewhere usually mediocre or bad. Developers entering the market is what I'm hoping for and the more the merrier. At least were not getting slammed with a bunch of hot chick of the day picture apps.

bitslave

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
your not going to nock it out of the park with the fist app you have to start somewhere usually mediocre or bad.

Because every app has to go through the MSFT app certification process then this is where apps should also be evaluated for quality those that don't meet the minimum benchmarks get rejected or passed back for improvement.

If a developer of a rejected app is serious about raising his own standard in the craft then he'll try again and in the process become a better developer.

More is not better, just because 4 million mostly learner developers develop an app doesn't mean you will have 4 million quality apps in the marketplace, raising the bar means you will have quality apps in the marketplace and that a small number of the learners will transition to be good developers because they have the creative talent and ambition to do so.

Cheers.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
But those that have been brainwashed by the App Store and Androids whatever, seem to believe that more is better. So as much as I would love to only see "quality" apps in the Marketplace, I understand the importance of the numbers, from a strictly marketing perspective. Btw, of the 200 active (and 75 inactive) apps I have installed, I have probably contacted about 50-60 devs, and have gotten responses and usually helpful comments from most of them.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express

Duvi

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
Because every app has to go through the MSFT app certification process then this is where apps should also be evaluated for quality those that don't meet the minimum benchmarks get rejected or passed back for improvement.

If a developer of a rejected app is serious about raising his own standard in the craft then he'll try again and in the process become a better developer.

More is not better, just because 4 million mostly learner developers develop an app doesn't mean you will have 4 million quality apps in the marketplace, raising the bar means you will have quality apps in the marketplace and that a small number of the learners will transition to be good developers because they have the creative talent and ambition to do so.

Cheers.
It wouldn't work. In fact, I'm glad Microsoft lets those apps in. Quantity over Quantity in the beginning.

Like some mentioned in this thread, a majority of people look at the amount of apps over the quality of apps.

I don't wanna see crApps, but that's the only way, IMHO, to help the platform grow and not only attract more consumers, but developers.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Quality over quantity.

Number of apps counts for nothing when you still dont have the "big' names like pandora, fios, Hulu, HBO, MS's own Photosynth, etc and when the official ones that are available are lacking in features in comparison to their counterparts on other OS's, eg Facebook, Twitter. Boasting about the number of apps then having to concede that the most popular ones arent available or are available but are subpar negates any kind of positive buzz you create.

fisci

Nov 28, 2011
Visit site
Quality over quantity.

Number of apps counts for nothing when you still dont have the "big' names like pandora, fios, Hulu, HBO, MS's own Photosynth, etc and when the official ones that are available are lacking in features in comparison to their counterparts on other OS's, eg Facebook, Twitter. Boasting about the number of apps then having to concede that the most popular ones arent available or are available but are subpar negates any kind of positive buzz you create.

Jesus you guys act as if apples app store or androids started with all incredible apps right from the get go.

It takes time, and getting more and more developers interested eventually brings even more devs.

Yes, because turning away a large number of apps and devs is a MUCH better way to build a market SMH

gibbyhome

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
I think we will make it. Good or bad app doesn't matter. Take a look through Apple and Android market portfolio they have the same issue with crap apps. Windows phone is growing fast I hope it just keeps on growing.

I think Microsoft has more rules for apps than android and Iphone and they do a better job at stopping spam .
now with that said you are going to get apps that are not that good but the more we do get the better quality apps will come ..
Alot of developers are not writing apps for WP because the volume is not there

But with a Great number of APPS
Come GREAT Power ... :)

Sorry, Stole that one from Spiderman..

gibbyhome

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
But those that have been brainwashed by the App Store and Androids whatever, seem to believe that more is better. So as much as I would love to only see "quality" apps in the Marketplace, I understand the importance of the numbers, from a strictly marketing perspective. Btw, of the 200 active (and 75 inactive) apps I have installed, I have probably contacted about 50-60 devs, and have gotten responses and usually helpful comments from most of them.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express

I have to say that you don't get that with android,
I have heard many people that downlaod and apps from the android market and it crashes
so they email the developer and never hear back from them ..

I have contacted about 5 developer and everyone has responded to me within 24 hrs
that is an amazing stat..

Rhody#WP

May 3, 2011
Visit site
I don't know where it is, but we will see a tipping point. More apps will entice more users, which will lure developers. At some point, 40,000 will become 50,000, which will quickly turn into 100,000. I think Microsoft knows to be patient and let it happen naturally.

Kahuna Cowboy

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I will take quality over quantity. I don't think because Apple has a half billion apps and MS not even 50K is the problem. It's that major ones that should be on WP are not.

For instance a CNN app, or Panadora app, or major banking apps are each far more useful and provide more value to a prospective WP buyer than hundreds of "how to pick up chicks" apps or thousands of alarm clock apps like iOS has.

Also gaming really needs to step it up on WP. Touting last years iOS titles like Angry Birds, Plants vs Zombies, etc... Is kinda pathetic when your also the company behind Xbox.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graceevans