Finding a stolen phone

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
How would I go about finding a phone that is not registered through Windows LIVE?

What you can do is report it to the police as stolen and also give them list of calls made on the phone after it was stolen. You should be able to get a list of calls made off you AT&T account.

N8ter

Banned
Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Gsm phone? you're sol no police are going to waste time on that. Person who took it got a new phone gratz to them.

Hope you had insurance. Get ready to pay that deductible.

And yes it sucks. I've been there.

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Tapatalk

N8ter

Banned
Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Registering it on live won't help the tracking isn't real time and it's useless once they take the sim card out. If your phone is locked they will be forced to factory reset it which will wipe all of that out anyways. Live provides faster tracking via SMS, which won't work with the phones sim card pulled out.

Those services are useless in all cases except when you misplace your device in your house or a relatives, or something like that.

The best way to track a phone is to get a court ordered search warrant to the carrier for imei tracking, and that won't happen unless you got robbed an attempted murder.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

rpm5101

Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the replies. The reason for this thread was that my girlfriend got her Trophy taken from a party. She doesn't know much about these new-fangled services on smartphones and AT&T didn't register Windows LIVE when they set her phone up for her.

Thankfully it was a friend that accidentally picked her phone up and she got it back a couple of days later.

I have set up those service for her now.

WPLuver

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the replies. The reason for this thread was that my girlfriend got her Trophy taken from a party. She doesn't know much about these new-fangled services on smartphones and AT&T didn't register Windows LIVE when they set her phone up for her.

Thankfully it was a friend that accidentally picked her phone up and she got it back a couple of days later.

I thought the Trophy was a Verizon phone, no ?

Curtieson

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
I thought the Trophy was a Verizon phone, no ?

haha, look at you reading between the lines, nice job because that is a good question, haha

But he has a Focus so maybe a Freudian slip?

Why are people exchanging phones at a party? Even if you let someone see it to play around with it...why are you letting them run off with your hundreds of dollars toy?

N8ter

Banned
Oct 10, 2011
Visit site

Yea, those services are decent for finding it at a friends house. They're useless and a waste of battery life if the phone actually got taken, like when my Vibrant was swiped in a mall nothing could help it cause the person who picked it up turned it off and took the SIM card out the minute I started calling it.

I don't think these things will ever truly be secure until there is a way to put a lock code on factory resets, TBQH. I cannot believe no one came up with a solution for that yet. Being able to factory reset so easily via 3-button method makes almost every GSM phone a jackpot if found or stolen.

rpm5101

Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
haha, look at you reading between the lines, nice job because that is a good question, haha

But he has a Focus so maybe a Freudian slip?

Why are people exchanging phones at a party? Even if you let someone see it to play around with it...why are you letting them run off with your hundreds of dollars toy?

Ah yes, my mistake. It is a Quantum, the one with the keyboard.

No one was exchanging phones, she had hers connected to the music player and someone disconnected it, placed it on a table, and started playing from their phone. It was then taken from the table.

TheRewardisCheese

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
Yea, those services are decent for finding it at a friends house. They're useless and a waste of battery life if the phone actually got taken, like when my Vibrant was swiped in a mall nothing could help it cause the person who picked it up turned it off and took the SIM card out the minute I started calling it.

I don't think these things will ever truly be secure until there is a way to put a lock code on factory resets, TBQH. I cannot believe no one came up with a solution for that yet. Being able to factory reset so easily via 3-button method makes almost every GSM phone a jackpot if found or stolen.

funny you mentioned this...... i remember some of the old nokia and motorola feature phones of yersteryear had this exact implementation....yet all these smartphones have almost nothing in the way of this.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)