Notifications!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jmerrey

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
There are tons of threads on this, so close this one or merge it or whatever, but this has happened to me too much lately: Phone is in the other room, I hear a notification, then about a minute later I hear another. I get to the phone, and who knows what that first notification was from. Facebook? New message on IM+? Turn/game request? Weather alert? Who knows? I guess it's time to sift thru every app on my phone and figure it out; or I guess I could pin every game and app tile on my screen and hope the tile shows me I have a new alert...

I love wp7, and I'll probably never switch, but good lord we need a unified notification area.

ok, rant off

fisci

Nov 28, 2011
Visit site
There are tons of threads on this, so close this one or merge it or whatever, but this has happened to me too much lately: Phone is in the other room, I hear a notification, then about a minute later I hear another. I get to the phone, and who knows what that first notification was from. Facebook? New message on IM+? Turn/game request? Weather alert? Who knows? I guess it's time to sift thru every app on my phone and figure it out; or I guess I could pin every game and app tile on my screen and hope the tile shows me I have a new alert...

I love wp7, and I'll probably never switch, but good lord we need a unified notification area.

ok, rant off

pin the text,phone, me tile and email near the top...

there you go, 95% of your possible notifications at a glance

jmerrey

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
Yes it does, and I have it pinned. I was using that as a general example, not specific. Thanks though; maybe I'm being too picky, I really do love almost everything about wp7

Sent from my PI39100 using Board Express

MannLou

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
Most of my notifications are visible on the start page. What apps would you have running in the background that wouldn't be pinned? I'm just curious. I usually have the ones running pinned.

Sent from my kick-*** TITAN using Board Express

jmerrey

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
Turn notifications from games would be one example. Here's something else to think about: if I leave my phone for an hour and come back to it, how do I know how many notifications I got, and what they are? What about overnight?
As apps become more advanced, and are able to give you these notifications, it has and will continue to become more difficult to keep track of all the alerts.
Obviously, an alert from words by post that it's my turn in three games is hardly crucial information, but at the same time, I want to know.

N8ter

Banned
Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Don't want to have 15 different.notification tones and remember that. Just need a Notification center

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Tapatalk

muitosabao

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
don't forget that iphone users (like i was for 3 years before changing to windows phone last month) only got a unified notification on version 5 of the iOS, 4 years after it came out.
This was a constant request from every iOS user for years. But i think wp7 users are a bit worst in this sense, since if the app is not pinned, no notification number will appear anywhere, whereas on ios, even before the notification area on version5, there would always be a number on the app icon (though easy to loose, if you had (like i did) hundreds of apps, nested inside folders...

manicottiK

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
The confusion seems to be between tile notifications and toast notifications. Live Tile notifications are persistent -- if I don't see my phone for an hour, my email count is still visible. However, toast notifications disappear and can't be viewed after the fact.

My university portal will send me a toast when a grade gets posted. If I don't see that toast come in, I have no way to know that one of the many unpinned apps on my phone wants to tell me something. Yes, I could pin it, but now you're suggesting that all apps that send toasts should also support live tiles and that they should all be pinned to Start.

A "Toast" app could collect toasts and its live tile could show a count of new toasts received since the use last looked. Then, those who want to know what's come in and disappeared can pin the Toast app and tap it to view the history while the others can simply not pin it to Start. Both sides of this argumnt then get what they want.

N8ter

Banned
Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
don't forget that iphone users (like i was for 3 years before changing to windows phone last month) only got a unified notification on version 5 of the iOS, 4 years after it came out.
This was a constant request from every iOS user for years. But i think wp7 users are a bit worst in this sense, since if the app is not pinned, no notification number will appear anywhere, whereas on ios, even before the notification area on version5, there would always be a number on the app icon (though easy to loose, if you had (like i did) hundreds of apps, nested inside folders...

If an app with a badge was in the folder, the folder showed the badge count total so even that was workable.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12