Kinectimals on ios, good or bad for WP7?

jmerrey

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
I understand the reasoning behind it, but it still ticks me off! Just two weekends ago I was at my sister's house, and her kids were amazed at kinectimals on my phone (they have it on their xbox). My sister started searching for it on her iphone marketplace. When I informed her that it was wp7 only, she said "i just love your phone."

DarkSynopsis

Sep 13, 2011
Does worry me a little I mean if Microsoft stuff starts hitting iOS it does make you lose a little hope in having exclusive titles on the WP7 that might bring over some people.

In the end though its the same price and it lacks connecting to LIVE for achievements on your Gamertag :p

Judge_Daniel

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
Every good app that someone downloads on iOS becomes a higher chance that they will not want to switch ecosystems, despite user experience. Creating paid apps for iOS isn't very bright on MS's part. They should have made it very restricted and ad-supported so that WP7 would still have a better counterpart.

enahs555

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
You got to understand though, that the xbox division is separate from the phone division. The XBOX division has to make sure their products are successful and profitable. To do that, you make your product available to as many people as possible. If Microsoft limited all of their products to what they could use to support the phone, they would go out of business in a month.

J4rrod

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
You guys are looking at this all wrong. You wouldn't believe at the comments I read on various articles on the Xbox LIVE app for iOS that said "wow, now I want to try WP7" and "I love this UI, a WP might be my next phone."

Sent from my Samsung Focus S using Board Express.

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
Im with J4rrod. I think they should make these and other MS services (Zune especially) available to other platforms. Its a great way to get rid of that bad image MS has. You gotta give everyone a taste first before they give you a chance. Some people stick to one brand because they have good experiences with it. Example, people who buy Sony everything. TV, PS3, PC, camera, etc. The more MS stuff you get in peoples everyday lives, the more inclined they are to buy another MS product. Kinda like how some people keep buying iPod or iPhone, because they got alot invested into iTunes. Its a silly excuse, but is used more often than not.

Pronk

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
What bothers me is MS have time to knock out an iOS version of a WP7 game when WP7 is still crying out for advanced games.

Any iOS user who's a gamer tempted to take a look at WP7 because of the xbox companion or Kinectimals is going to laugh at the paltry selection of genuine AAA titles available on the format and then quite possibly not look again. MS need to get their own house better stocked before trying to coax over users from other platforms. And they really shouldn't go giving away platform exclusives that genuinely might tempt users over. That's like Apple agreeing to sell Siri on Android.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
You guys are looking at this all wrong. You wouldn't believe at the comments I read on various articles on the Xbox LIVE app for iOS that said "wow, now I want to try WP7" and "I love this UI, a WP might be my next phone."

Sent from my Samsung Focus S using Board Express.

Im with J4rrod. I think they should make these and other MS services (Zune especially) available to other platforms. Its a great way to get rid of that bad image MS has. You gotta give everyone a taste first before they give you a chance. Some people stick to one brand because they have good experiences with it. Example, people who buy Sony everything. TV, PS3, PC, camera, etc. The more MS stuff you get in peoples everyday lives, the more inclined they are to buy another MS product. Kinda like how some people keep buying iPod or iPhone, because they got alot invested into iTunes. Its a silly excuse, but is used more often than not.

As WP7 users, would the reverse work for you? Eg, if apple made icloud, imessage, itunes, siri available on WP7 would you be more or less inclined to switch to an iphone?

Big Supes

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
I have zero problems with MS offering Xbox stuff to IOS or Android. Xbox isn't exclusive to Windows; it's a console.

MS restricting it to Windows is the type of behaviour I would expect from Apple.

I think things exclusive to Windows like 'Beaming' (to Xbox), should be/will be exclusive to WP, but there needs to be more. The Xbox Zune should be able to sync with the PC Zune player with a dedicated (exclusive) Zune remote app for WP. Windows needs to bring the exclusivity which can then be made compatible with the Xbox and WP.

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
so much for MS ecosystem..

now its MS/apple ecosystem.....

reason for owning a WP are going out the Windows ...

might as well switch back to Iphone it does the same thing.... AND MoRE...

****** ******* ******** ***** ********* disappointment

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
I have zero problems with MS offering Xbox stuff to IOS or Android. Xbox isn't exclusive to Windows; it's a console.

MS restricting it to Windows is the type of behaviour I would expect from Apple.

I think things exclusive to Windows like 'Beaming' (to Xbox), should be/will be exclusive to WP, but there needs to be more. The Xbox Zune should be able to sync with the PC Zune player with a dedicated (exclusive) Zune remote app for WP. Windows needs to bring the exclusivity which can then be made compatible with the Xbox and WP.

Isnt this the sort of thing that we expected with Xbox live on WP7 but is not happening? No guarentees WP7 wlll have any exclusive MS features going forward. It was supposed to be "3 screens and the cloud" with Windows Phone as the 3rd screen, now its the iphone.

With Skydrive, Xbox live, Onenote/Office on the iphone/ipad MS has given millions of people every reason to stay with the already successful ios platform rather than consider a Windows Phone or Windows 8 tablet. People have shown that they prefer the ios platform and with all the apps, accessories, dev support in ios's favour. they have less reason to switch.

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
As WP7 users, would the reverse work for you? Eg, if apple made icloud, imessage, itunes, siri available on WP7 would you be more or less inclined to switch to an iphone?

You can't really reverse the role at this point, because WP doesn't have a foothold in the Market yet. Most people who have WP now are coming from iPhone, BB, Android and WM. So they made a conscious decision to switch and give the platform a try. But in a year or two, maybe. If I had a mac and not really ****** of either Apple or WP, I might as well switch to the iPhone if all those services I use are Apple products, except my phone, because it will no doubt work better and be more seemlessly integrated with an iPhone.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
You can't really reverse the role at this point, because WP doesn't have a foothold in the Market yet. Most people who have WP now are coming from iPhone, BB, Android and WM. So they made a conscious decision to switch and give the platform a try. But in a year or two, maybe. If I had a mac and not really ****** of either Apple or WP, I might as well switch to the iPhone if all those services I use are Apple products, except my phone, because it will no doubt work better and be more seemlessly integrated with an iPhone.

Dont see why you cant reverse the roles, my question was purely about whether offering ios features on WP7 would make you inclined to switch to ios, as thats the supporting argument for putting WP exclusive games and services on ios.

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
Dont see why you cant reverse the roles, my question was purely about whether offering ios features on WP7 would make you inclined to switch to ios, as thats the supporting argument for putting WP exclusive games and services on ios.

Either way, I answered your question at the end of my paragraph.

Siah1214

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
It's a business. They want to make money. If they can hammer out apps and bring in $2.99 an app from a platform they didn't build, great. It's the only efficient way to monetize Apple's userbase. Think of it this way: Microsoft can sell Apple customers stuff like kinectimals, office, or similar, and make $14.99 from the sale of one copy of onenote to an iPad user. Apple has no way to monetize the WP7 userbase. Meanwhile, if you don't want to pay for OneNote, get a wp7 phone and get the same functionality built in.

You people need to think outside of your stupid ****** world, because it only exists in your head.
You're an idiot if you seriously think someone's going to run out and buy a WP7 device for kinectimals.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Thanks ninjaap for your civil reply. Would be nice if the discussion could continue without insults though, which others seem to feel is necessary.

kenstone

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
I think it's okay. With the Xbox stuff and the OneNote app on iOS, I think that it can help to discourage the old thinking that Microsoft is evil, stodgy, etc. Some people may never have used the cool Microsoft items, so this at least may help push the mindset about Microsoft in the right direction.

Siah1214

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
I think it's okay. With the Xbox stuff and the OneNote app on iOS, I think that it can help to discourage the old thinking that Microsoft is evil, stodgy, etc. Some people may never have used the cool Microsoft items, so this at least may help push the mindset about Microsoft in the right direction.
Exactly, they're getting their name out there.
I honestly feel as though Microsoft isn't trying to compete with Apple. It seems as though they are competing for Android users, which makes sense, as it seems android users are more unsatisfied with their platform and more willing to jump ship. So it makes sense to try to steal Android market share and monetize Apple's market share, it's just good business.