Has Microsoft lost faith in Windows Phone?

DontHate707

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
Has Microsoft lost faith in Windows Phone? | WMPoweruser

As we've all seen throughout the past couple of weeks MS has been bringing over exclusive features to ios, idk why exactly. the reason i bought a windows phone is because i knew ms would be integrated there products into the os. i love ms software and i knew they werent coming to ios or android. i felt special with my xbox and skydrive integration now not so much, idk if there thinking there hurting android with this strategy. it sure as **** isnt hurting ios which is honestly is getting old to people now, and windows phone is a great alternative to ios but with ms not really offering anything more why would any would switch? if anything this pushing them more towards ios or even android because in all honesty android is to strong and getting even stronger to even get knocked off from the top spot. why would anyone choose a arrive or a titan over a more powerful phone like the iphone4s? with a smoother experience and beautiful hardware all the apps in the world. imo ms is giving up the exclusive features to ios and for what? money?
is this all apart of a bigger strategy? maybe ms has something bigger for windows phone in the future?
if i was MS and i decided to bring over features to ios i know for one they wouldnt be on the same level as my actual product i would give you a light experiences to what my user get with windows phone.
if ms keeps this going there gunna be relying on one thing to set themselves apart and gain new users and that is metro ui.

Mio_Ray

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
The same reason that iTunes are available for Windows. As of now there is no real windows option for a tablet so making OneNote for iPad and iOS in general is a stroke of genius. They give iOS users a taste of the real deal and allowing iOS users to use all that nice space on Skydrive makes it more likely that some of them/(us) will switch to Windows Phones and maybe even tablets when decent windows tablets arrive.

I know I am on my way :)

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

naplesbill

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
The iOS products are not as well integrated and do not necessarily provide all the same features. Case in point, the XBox Live app for iOS does not allow you to gain achievements.

Microsoft is a software company that makes a lot of money. They will provide client access to their services and systems for other platforms. This is no big deal.

dragonide

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site

As we've all seen throughout the past couple of weeks MS has been bringing over exclusive features to ios, idk why exactly. the reason i bought a windows phone is because i knew ms would be integrated there products into the os. i love ms software and i knew they werent coming to ios or android. i felt special with my xbox and skydrive integration now not so much, idk if there thinking there hurting android with this strategy. it sure as **** isnt hurting ios which is honestly is getting old to people now, and windows phone is a great alternative to ios but with ms not really offering anything more why would any would switch? if anything this pushing them more towards ios or even android because in all honesty android is to strong and getting even stronger to even get knocked off from the top spot. why would anyone choose a arrive or a titan over a more powerful phone like the iphone4s? with a smoother experience and beautiful hardware all the apps in the world. imo ms is giving up the exclusive features to ios and for what? money?
is this all apart of a bigger strategy? maybe ms has something bigger for windows phone in the future?
if i was MS and i decided to bring over features to ios i know for one they wouldnt be on the same level as my actual product i would give you a light experiences to what my user get with windows phone.
if ms keeps this going there gunna be relying on one thing to set themselves apart and gain new users and that is metro ui.

Windows Phone is one of the best product Microsoft ever created.
Microsoft knows it.

Microsoft is trying its best to push WP forward, and the 2nd generation is very promising.

Radar/Titan/Lumia 800/Focus S are all devices that are going to bring money and a good market share.

2012 will be a good year for WP.

chasvs

Nov 30, 2011
Visit site
MS is integrating Skydrive and Windows Live capability to other OSs to be a Centealndata hub tonall users. WP7 is going to haveva breakout year in 2012!

Luisraul924

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
To be honest, I think they know exactly what they're (Microsoft) doing. Think about it, they're giving them access to stuff for gaming (primarily) the OneNote stuff that Mio_BB mentioned was right on the money the tablets aren't out yet nor is Windows 8. However the Xbox Live stuff, who will be the primary audience that will know about these apps? I see two classes of people taking notice: tech geeks and gamers (both casual and heavy). Now when you look think about it chances are the tech geeks and heavy gamers are more than likely either in the same category or about 80-90% of them belong to both categories, so for the sake of this explanation I'll just be using the word "gamer". So the heavy gamer that notices and enjoys the Xbox Live stuff obviously has an Xbox 360 right? Ok so the same could be said for the casual gamers. Now if you give them a good experience on their current platform but hold back the full experience for example the gamer points and the Xbox Companion app that we have, then that officially gives Microsoft a new angle of advertisment. How many iOS users do you think there are out there? then, how many of them do you think own Xbox 360's? My guess is a lot. so by giving them a "tease" so to speak, they now have a hook upon which they can advertise by saying "oh yeah? you like that? Come check out Windows Phone, you'll love it!" I'm positive Microsoft has not and will not give up on Windows Phone. They aren't stupid, they know how important mobile computing is nowadays. Look at all the effort they've put into Windows Phone, they won't be giving it up trust me. As for the "demotion" of Andy Lees, you can't really call it a demotion, just simply a transfer that's all. How is moving a person's work from Windows Phone to Windows 8 a demotion? If anything that actually sounds like a promotion given that Windows 8 is Microsoft's flagship product. The way I see it, it's just a re-adjustment of strategy, working at the same goal just from a different angle that's it, nothing more, nothing less.

Last edited:

N8ter

Banned
Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
The iOS products are not as well integrated and do not necessarily provide all the same features. Case in point, the XBox Live app for iOS does not allow you to gain achievements.

Microsoft is a software company that makes a lot of money. They will provide client access to their services and systems for other platforms. This is no big deal.

But GameCenter does. iOS users only win by getting that app. All iOS games use GameCenter and the only big alternative there is OpenFeint.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Exomondo

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
iOS just gets support for some features, it gives people a taste of the MS services, but if they want the full integrated experience they have to go WP7.

Sure the Skydrive app is nice, but it doesn't give you integration and auto syncing with photos you've taken or into the office suite for documents. Same with the XBL app, you get some XBL functionality but you don't get XBL games and you don't get all the features of the Companion App to control your XBox.

The fact that they aren't placing artificial limitations on these services is a good thing.

L

lumic

Google has a crappy search app on our platform. Does that mean they have lost faith in Android?

Luisraul924

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Google has a crappy search app on our platform. Does that mean they have lost faith in Android?

lol... well that's KINDA true, but that logic doesn't work in the same way it does for Microsoft... I mean it's not like Google is struggling to get marketshare or anything... Regardless of that though, I still stand by my lengthy explanation.

N8ter

Banned
Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
iOS just gets support for some features, it gives people a taste of the MS services, but if they want the full integrated experience they have to go WP7.

Sure the Skydrive app is nice, but it doesn't give you integration and auto syncing with photos you've taken or into the office suite for documents. Same with the XBL app, you get some XBL functionality but you don't get XBL games and you don't get all the features of the Companion App to control your XBox.

The fact that they aren't placing artificial limitations on these services is a good thing.

Anyone downloading those apps, especially the Xbox apps, already has tasted Microsoft services.

The truth is simple. Windows Live, Xbox, and Office teams are not obligated to the Windows Phone teams.

Rhody#WP

May 3, 2011
Visit site
I think this is a move to generate awareness and mindshare. Apple loyalists don't even know a world outside Apple exists. They act like the iPhone is the only smartphone, despite being dominated by Android. I have a few friends like this. One friend of mine said, "I didn't even know MP3 players still existed." I had to explain to her that her iPhone is an MP3 player. She thought Steve Jobs invented digital media.

MS is smart by getting Kinectimals and Xbox Live into the minds of Apple loyalists, because Apple does not have a player in the game. If MS can get these people to buy an Xbox and create a Live/Skydrive account and an Xbox Live account, they get those people to take a step or two outside the Apple garden where they can discover they have other options. Maybe those people will use their Xbox to buy movies or listen to music using the Zune service. Maybe those people will really like Skydrive and try the other Live services.

naplesbill

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
But GameCenter does. iOS users only win by getting that app. All iOS games use GameCenter and the only big alternative there is OpenFeint.

Gamecenter has no ties to any console games. That is really the point of the XBox achievements. I would guess that 80% of people I know with iOS devices, have never even opened the Gamecenter app. It really doesn't provide much to normal users.

XBox Live on WP7 is tied directly to your Live ID. This makes things much more automated and doesn't require much of anything from the user. When you play Live enabled games, the achievements and such are handled in a much more integrated and simple way.

Kahuna Cowboy

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Actually it is a smart move. Google offers all of their services on iOS as well, that has worked well for them. iOS or Apple in general, is the rarity that does not share squat with anyone else yet is still successful. No one is going to switch to Windows Phone because of Xbox Live, Bing, OneNote, or Skydrive. However, if you offer them to other platforms everyone can see Microsoft has leaped light years forward from the days of Vista and Millenium Edition. That improves the Windows brand and hopefully make people more open minded to the level of integrated service and attention to detail MS has worked hard to improve upon.

You're not going to get the phone into a perspective buyer's hand by the name Windows or Microsoft alone. You are not going to do it by being the closed off enigma that Apple is either. But next time some one who needs a new mobile phone is in the store, and has used some of the new MS service apps and was impressed, he or she might want to at least check out a Windows Phone to compare against the iOS and Droid offerings. Once it actually gets to that point, MS is confident the phone and Mango will speak for itself and sell itself.

Then of course, we have MS going into tablets this next year too. They really need to get their name recognition back up for that endeavor.

N8ter

Banned
Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Gamecenter has no ties to any console games. That is really the point of the XBox achievements. I would guess that 80% of people I know with iOS devices, have never even opened the Gamecenter app. It really doesn't provide much to normal users.

XBox Live on WP7 is tied directly to your Live ID. This makes things much more automated and doesn't require much of anything from the user. When you play Live enabled games, the achievements and such are handled in a much more integrated and simple way.

That's my point. If they need that app they already have an xbox, and an iPhone and probably don't want a Windows phone anyways nor care about it.

The integration between WinPhone and xbox live for gaming isn't all that strong anyways, and there are no xbox live titles on iPhone. Those people only care about Gamecenter achievements and the app is mostly for convenience and management purposes.

Maybe Microsoft plans to port some xbl titles to iPhone, though?

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Tapatalk

Exomondo

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Anyone downloading those apps, especially the Xbox apps, already has tasted Microsoft services.

Well yes they may be using an XBox or using Skydrive but they don't have that on their mobile devices, which is where so many people expect to have such things integrated and available.

The truth is simple. Windows Live, Xbox, and Office teams are not obligated to the Windows Phone teams.

Of course, we already know that.
Office is available on Mac, does that mean they lost faith in Windows? No, of course not.
Windows Live services (Messenger, Mesh, etc...) are available on Mac, does that mean they've lost faith in Windows? Again, no.
They just want more people using their services which means making them available on a broad range of platforms.

power5

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site

As we've all seen throughout the past couple of weeks MS has been bringing over exclusive features to ios, idk why exactly. the reason i bought a windows phone is because i knew ms would be integrated there product...........................

WP is strong and getting stronger. I don't think it is going anywhere.

Another note though, your post was one of the hardest I have read on this forum. It's really hard to take anyone's opinion seriously when their grammar is so poor. I am usually not a grammar nazi but it was that bad.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss