Has Microsoft lost faith in Windows Phone?

N8ter

Banned
Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Well yes they may be using an XBox or using Skydrive but they don't have that on their mobile devices, which is where so many people expect to have such things integrated and available.

Of course, we already know that.
Office is available on Mac, does that mean they lost faith in Windows? No, of course not.
Windows Live services (Messenger, Mesh, etc...) are available on Mac, does that mean they've lost faith in Windows? Again, no.
They just want more people using their services which means making them available on a broad range of platforms.

I never said they lost faith in anything. Reply with that in mind.

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Tapatalk

Exomondo

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Yes i can see that, i was just pointing out how the discussion relates to the thread topic. Ignore those 2 lines if you prefer.

martin_strahilovski

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
To be honest, I think they know exactly what they're (Microsoft) doing. Think about it, they're giving them access to stuff for gaming (primarily) the OneNote stuff that Mio_BB mentioned was right on the money the tablets aren't out yet nor is Windows 8. However the Xbox Live stuff, who will be the primary audience that will know about these apps? I see two classes of people taking notice: tech geeks and gamers (both casual and heavy). Now when you look think about it chances are the tech geeks and heavy gamers are more than likely either in the same category or about 80-90% of them belong to both categories, so for the sake of this explanation I'll just be using the word "gamer". So the heavy gamer that notices and enjoys the Xbox Live stuff obviously has an Xbox 360 right? Ok so the same could be said for the casual gamers. Now if you give them a good experience on their current platform but hold back the full experience for example the gamer points and the Xbox Companion app that we have, then that officially gives Microsoft a new angle of advertisment. How many iOS users do you think there are out there? then, how many of them do you think own Xbox 360's? My guess is a lot. so by giving them a "tease" so to speak, they now have a hook upon which they can advertise by saying "oh yeah? you like that? Come check out Windows Phone, you'll love it!" I'm positive Microsoft has not and will not give up on Windows Phone. They aren't stupid, they know how important mobile computing is nowadays. Look at all the effort they've put into Windows Phone, they won't be giving it up trust me. As for the "demotion" of Andy Lees, you can't really call it a demotion, just simply a transfer that's all. How is moving a person's work from Windows Phone to Windows 8 a demotion? If anything that actually sounds like a promotion given that Windows 8 is Microsoft's flagship product. The way I see it, it's just a re-adjustment of strategy, working at the same goal just from a different angle that's it, nothing more, nothing less.

They are doing this not for profit, but for advertising the WP7. They are giving limited options on the apps that are for iOS and Android and if you want full options buy Windows Phone. It's great strategy you know!

Pronk

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
I would be willing to bet they'll have office on the iPad by the end of next year.

They'd be stupid not to. It's by far and away the market leader for tablets, it's increasingly being used for business, and they have direct competition in Pages being available for it. If they don't, then it's there market to lose. And if people start not using Office on tablets then they might realise they don't need/want office on the desktop.

Luisraul924

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I would be willing to bet they'll have office on the iPad by the end of next year.

They'd be stupid not to. It's by far and away the market leader for tablets, it's increasingly being used for business, and they have direct competition in Pages being available for it. If they don't, then it's there market to lose. And if people start not using Office on tablets then they might realise they don't need/want office on the desktop.

I am not a betting man but I am confident enough that Office on the iPad will NOT happen that I would be willing to bet on it. ESPECIALLY with the timeframe you just gave... End of next year? there's a little something coming out, I believe it's called Windows 8, I also believe it'll be the Microsoft's full assault on the tablet market. If they're trying to sell tablets to compete with the iPad in a tablet market that is essentially "iPad only" I mean it just dominates the crap out of the tablet market share... Why in **** would they release Office on the iPad?

Mio_Ray

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
Simply because they want more users on live. Com and Skydrive. And again to give a taste of it.

Office on windows tablets will be more functional but they will need to catch users that are already using tablets.

Pronk

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
Why is office available on the Mac then when it competes for the desktop and is gaining ground on Windows? Because MS are a software company. They're not making tablets either, they're making an OS that will run on tablets. It's the hardware makers who's job it'll be to sell tablets. To MS a sale is a sale - doesn't matter if it's Office on an iPad or Office on a Windows 8 tablet. It's money in the bank - and the iPad is a big market just waiting to be tapped.

And there's another point. Who are Microsoft's true competitors in the tablet market? Realistically, not Apple - they have a gargantuan lead and are (for now at least) untouchable. No, they need to beat the other competition first before worrying about overtaking the runaway leader. And that means killing Android in the tablet market. So you release Office for iOS to stop people buying Pages/Numbers and you (obviously) release Office for Windows 8 tablets. Result? Android on tablets is suddenly a LOT less appealing to any business users, and indeed a lot of home users too.

Curtieson

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
To MS a sale is a sale - doesn't matter if it's Office on an iPad or Office on a Windows 8 tablet.

A sale is not a sale...

Mac OS + Office = $150 for Office

Windows OS + Office = $300 for Windows and Office.

Which pie would you want to eat from as a shareholder?

Pronk

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
A sale is not a sale...

Mac OS + Office = $150 for Office

Windows OS + Office = $300 for Windows and Office.

Which pie would you want to eat from as a shareholder?

Why on Earth would you assume those sales were mutually exclusive?

Not selling Office on iOS isn't going to drive Windows 8 tablet sales in any meaningful way whatsoever. It will drive sales of Pages or Google Apps or other alternatives though. Most people need a word processor and a spreadsheet package, and if it works well and is compatible (as everything is these days), then they're all set. MS can have a slice of that pie by selling Office for iPad, or it can have none of that pie.

That's the choice, not a sale of Office on iPad *or* a sale of a Windows 8 tablet + Office.

Rodolfo#WP

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
Why is office available on the Mac then when it competes for the desktop and is gaining ground on Windows? Because MS are a software company. They're not making tablets either, they're making an OS that will run on tablets. It's the hardware makers who's job it'll be to sell tablets. To MS a sale is a sale - doesn't matter if it's Office on an iPad or Office on a Windows 8 tablet. It's money in the bank - and the iPad is a big market just waiting to be tapped.

And there's another point. Who are Microsoft's true competitors in the tablet market? Realistically, not Apple - they have a gargantuan lead and are (for now at least) untouchable. No, they need to beat the other competition first before worrying about overtaking the runaway leader. And that means killing Android in the tablet market. So you release Office for iOS to stop people buying Pages/Numbers and you (obviously) release Office for Windows 8 tablets. Result? Android on tablets is suddenly a LOT less appealing to any business users, and indeed a lot of home users too.

Your first paragraph is strong and accurate. But then you partly contradict yourself with the beating and the killing notions. MS makes $5-10 on huge android phone sales from patent licensing alone. They could try to kill this Goose, but they are more likely to feed it. You have it: MS is overwhelmingly, though not exclusively, a software and services company, and to MS, a sale is a sale -even if not all sales are equal, of course. ;)

BTW, in phones, Apple has already lost its "gargantuan lead" to Android.

You're also right-on with your sum vs. either/or response. As a shareholder of any of these companies, I want as many revenue streams as possible. :)

Last edited:

Pronk

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
Er...we're talking about tablets. There, Apple still has it's gargantuan lead and MS makes a much much smaller amount on Android tablet licences because there's still no Android tablet that's shipping in numbers even close to iPad levels.

Curtieson

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
Why on Earth would you assume those sales were mutually exclusive?

Because, Who the **** is going to buy Office for a Mac and Win8? For consumers, if you by Office for a mac, you are not going to by it for windows also...unless you have too much money!

That would be a VERY exclusive group, and not even close to the type of group you'd spend any time marketing towards (I guess it'd be Office-sheep?)

Curtieson

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
That's the choice, not a sale of Office on iPad *or* a sale of a Windows 8 tablet + Office.

I thought we were talking about MS's software being used as an exclusive tool to get consumers to flood to their platform...?

Thus the question that was posed..."MS giving up exclusivity because they don't feel they can drive users to their platform with it"

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)