08-05-2012 12:37 AM
137 1234 ...
tools
    What sold me over was the clean, no nonsense UI with as much smoothness as iOS and as much functionality as BBOS. Can't wait to turn off my Android for good and fire up the Lumia 800 as soon as I get it... Unfortunately it will be a while.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    12-19-2011 03:19 PM
    @WPLuver

My understanding is that the two will remain separate code bases, though the tablet OS will be closer to Windows 8 than Windows Phone.

Aside from whatever cross platform integration that Microsoft is supposed to be working on though, what I really mean by Windows 8 coming along is the advertising push that all of the "Metro" products are going to get. I can't recall a time when a company went to market with 3 different sets of devices all promoting the same design sensibility. Even for the non-techie crowd I can't help but feel that it will be very appealing.

Consider as well, a few months after the release of Windows 8, a customer buying their first smartphone (who today would probably get an Android device). What are they going to go for? A phone that looks unfamiliar? Or the one with a similar OS to the one they use every day at home that they already know and understand? People want things to be familiar and easy and a lot of people, especially slightly older people don't like the idea of smart phones because they have to learn to use a new thing.

Heck, my mother's an IT teacher and she doesn't want a smartphone because "it's too complicated looking". She picked up my WP and was able to figure all the main stuff out in about 5 minutes.

Whats it going to take to convert iPhone/Android users to Windows Phone? Who cares, they'll come when they're ready. What's it going to take for Windows Phone to catch on? About a year. Be patient and enjoy being ahead of the curve until then :)
    12-19-2011 05:14 PM
    What will help win people over is more and more android news pushers and iphone news pushers and celebrities and tech guru types coming out and saying their switching to WP and why. That could start a push and leverage mindsetand marketshare, Contiued advertsing piushes by Nokia and HTC and Nokia coming out with 4g/LTE ready devices will push other hardware developers to bring out LTE devices.
    12-19-2011 05:35 PM
    Why would satisfied iPhone & Android users ever want to switch to a 3rd platform? Microsoft and OEMs has to give some super compelling reasons and so far they haven't. Metro UI, live tiles just isn't reason enough when you have 500K apps and mature UI in place for iPhone.
    12-19-2011 05:41 PM
    I believe the biggest obstacles is carrier bias, read: retail professionals. Until they stop steering people towards non-WPs, it'll never catch on.

If someone walks in and says they're big on Facebook, the answer should instantly be Windows Phone. But no, this laggy, malware ridden Anroid phone has a cool app for that.
    The reason they don't steer people towards WP devices is because nobody wants them. The iOS/Android paradigm has become so ubiquitous at this point that only fanboys and geeks are even aware WP exists or even want it.
    12-19-2011 05:43 PM
    Yesterday I went to Best Buy and lo and behold.. there is a fancy booth/display setup just for Windows Phone. Ofcourse, NO ONE was paying it any attention.:@

The other day I was standing in line at Bank of America. The TV monitors behind the cashiers were showing a rolling Ad for a BofA App on Windows Phone of all things!!:D

I went to an AT&T store over the weekend and asked the guy "Can I see the HTC Titan". It immediately took me over to the Windows Phone section which sadly is at the very back of the store in the far most corner. What a bunch of @&&^A*&@#,:mad:

Its been a roller-coaster
    12-19-2011 06:17 PM
    They would need to to open up the OS a little more for me. Not enough to cause severe fragmentation. Bit enough to were I feel like I can call the device my own. Add ability for different keyboards, wallpapers, change transparency of the tiles, smaller ans bigger tiles, more interactive tiles, etc...
    After a year on an Android device, I've done just about everything. Rooted, ROM'd, customized, used different launchers, different kernels, different everything (except radios, those are still complicating to me). I think now that I've done all of this, I've had my taste of the magic. I got interested in WP7, because now I'm looking for stability and something I don't have to tinker with to work properly. After using the Windows 8 developer preview, and using the Xbox 360 Metro dashboard... I love the UI and design of things, I even use the WP7 Launcher on my DInc. After so long, you just get bored of it all and want something fresh and new.
    Coolaaron88 likes this.
    12-19-2011 07:10 PM
    After a year on an Android device, I've done just about everything. Rooted, ROM'd, customized, used different launchers, different kernels, different everything (except radios, those are still complicating to me). I think now that I've done all of this, I've had my taste of the magic. I got interested in WP7, because now I'm looking for stability and something I don't have to tinker with to work properly. After using the Windows 8 developer preview, and using the Xbox 360 Metro dashboard... I love the UI and design of things, I even use the WP7 Launcher on my DInc. After so long, you just get bored of it all and want something fresh and new.
    I hear you. Used to do the whole custom ROM thing complete with custom radio back in the WinMo 6.5 days. It does get old after a while. Especially when that important call gets dropped and you know its because of a ROM you just installed. :P

Can't wait for CES and 2012 in general..
    12-19-2011 08:13 PM
    I hear you. Used to do the whole custom ROM thing complete with custom radio back in the WinMo 6.5 days. It does get old after a while. Especially when that important call gets dropped and you know its because of a ROM you just installed. :P

Can't wait for CES and 2012 in general..
    I find it so ironic whenever i hear fandroids ripping on WP7 b/c of its association to its creator Microsoft. They usually go into the whole "after windows mobile, i won't touch anything MS makes with a 10 ft pole". Android and the whole rooting/custom ROM thing is exactly how winmobile used to be.
    12-19-2011 09:08 PM
    I find it so ironic whenever i hear fandroids ripping on WP7 b/c of its association to its creator Microsoft. They usually go into the whole "after windows mobile, i won't touch anything MS makes with a 10 ft pole". Android and the whole rooting/custom ROM thing is exactly how winmobile used to be.
    Yeah, I'm way past all of that nonsense. I want a WP7, really bad. Waiting for next year to roll around. I don't really think it takes much to convert someone, just wait until their sitting there twiddling their thumbs like "WATS DA NEW BEST DING GUISE!?!?!" you're all like "//shows WP7."
    12-19-2011 09:41 PM
    As a 21 year old iPhone owner, all it will take is for me to have enough money to buy a new phone. As for my iPhone owning friends, it will take a bit more aggressive advertising.
    12-19-2011 10:51 PM
    Why would satisfied iPhone & Android users ever want to switch to a 3rd platform? Microsoft and OEMs has to give some super compelling reasons and so far they haven't. Metro UI, live tiles just isn't reason enough when you have 500K apps and mature UI in place for iPhone.
    Of course it'll be difficult to get someone satisfied to switch, that's the definition of satisfied isn't it? I'm sure marketing departments are aiming at dissatisfied customers... That is even if they are aiming to switch people over I posted a long paragraph about how the Windows Phone movement is going for the uninitiated that's probably the best way to get market share at this point.
    The reason they don't steer people towards WP devices is because nobody wants them. The iOS/Android paradigm has become so ubiquitous at this point that only fanboys and geeks are even aware WP exists or even want it.
    Bullsh!t. Period. People that aren't techies or fanboys of a particular platform are ignorant, at least in large part they are. All it takes is for someone that works at a retail location to say that it isn't cool to sway their minds. I attribute it mainly to the fact that BECAUSE they don't know anything, they think that the people that work there do. If the people working there did their jobs correctly and took a neutral approach to sales and actually help people with correct information then chances are HIGHLY likely that people would likely choose Windows Phone, if not over an iPhone then definitely over an Android device. I have pitched Windows Phone to many people and approximately 98% of them are highly impressed.
    Coolaaron88 likes this.
    12-20-2011 12:01 AM
    In the last week oe so at least one mover and shaker type person announced theyt were switvhing to WP and another said she prefered Bing on Ioa over siri onb the Iphone 4s. That kind of pub can hopefully built on and slowly but surely WP can gain momentum and leverage that into a stronger position. Nokia and HTC with LTE can bring VZN and Sprint a bigger presence in WP
    12-20-2011 12:03 AM
    Microsoft is doing a good job right now here are some of the positives I think are going to help convert others

1. Brining apps to iOS. People got heated when Xbox Live, Halo WP, Skydrive, Kinectimals, Office moved over to the iOS platform but IMO its a good thing. You may notice that MS is bringing these platforms to iOS not Android so I think they want to convince the general consumer if you want an Office app on your phone iOS and WP thats it.

Why would they do this well first they will get puplicity tagging themselfs with iOS and second it could potentially convert people looking to upgrade their iPhone. For example if Jane really loves her Office and Skydrive functionality on her iOS and shes looking to upgrade her phone she has a choice.
    1. Pay a preimum price for a iOS device 199$
    2. Buy a low-mid range WP for 0.99 cents

This could potentially convert alot of users over to WP!

2. Nokia releasing the 710 which is an awesome phone. If they market this phone correctly and price it accordingly the general public will LOVE this phone.
    1. Comes with Nokia Drive free turn-by-turn GPS
    2. Windows 7.5 runs amazing on lower end handsets
    3. Xbox Live, Zune Pass, Facebook integration, Office/Skydrive is great for students
    4. Women will love it because its cheap, cute and customizeable

But at the end of the day it lacks a FFC which I hope they add to the next revision. MS really has to go at Android here so the general public wont buy a low end Android VS a Nokia 710 if they can convince the low-mid end users that a huge W. Go for the Android guys dont bother going for iOS users just yet.

3. Flood the market with different handsets. Nokia is going to do a good job I can already kind of see the outcome when I walk into a local carrier I am going to see the following
    1. A nice Nokia Lumia all touch screen device
    2. A Nokia n8 super camera smart phone which I think they are going to release
    3. A Nokia Lumia with a physical keyboard
    4. A Nokia Blackberry style device with hopefully Lync and Skype built in
    5. A Nokia Tablet running Windows 8

If they can flood the market with different quality handsets they are going to move people over. Some people dont like iPhones because its all touch and prefer Blackberry style devices well Nokia can answer all of that you don't need a bunch of vendors HTC, LG, Samsung to do your work for you.

4. Take over Business make sure WP is marketed as a top tier Business Phone for companies to switch over to. Most companies use Microsoft services in the background such as Exchange, AD etc so might as well make everything all Microsoft. Thats what my company plans to do.

5. Gaming hopefully MS takes the time this E3 to really represent Apollo. Get your 3rd party guys to start making Apps and games. MS made alot of 3rd parties and indie devs sucessful this gen maybe thats good enough to pursuade them to start developing for Windows Phone. Microsoft is very good at marketing indie products look at XBLA.

6. Keep innovating don't slow down dont become like RIM and good things will happen.

Usually good products dont die except for the Zune but hey the Zune made this all happen Metro wouldn't exist without that beautiful Zune HD interface.
    12-20-2011 12:21 AM
    You guys might disagree but I think Windows Phone interface is too polarizing. Some people (like me) love it, and others (like a few friends) hate it. They say "that blocky-thing on the home screen doesn't do it for me".

Anyone had similar experiences.

I want my Verizon 4G LTE Windows Phone with 8M camera and 4+ inch screen with 326+ ppi screen. Asking for too much ?
    12-20-2011 12:53 AM
    You guys might disagree but I think Windows Phone interface is too polarizing. Some people (like me) love it, and others (like a few friends) hate it. They say "that blocky-thing on the home screen doesn't do it for me".

Anyone had similar experiences.

I want my Verizon 4G LTE Windows Phone with 8M camera and 4+ inch screen with 326+ ppi screen. Asking for too much ?
    Yes... On the screen resolution that is, currently the only way to get a screen ppi of above 326 would be to have a 720p screen, which is of the 16:9 aspect ratio. Windows Phone currently only supports 5:3 which is why they all have the 800x480 resolution, it's the cheapest 5:3 screen res available that actually looks good.
    12-20-2011 03:22 AM
    Yes... On the screen resolution that is, currently the only way to get a screen ppi of above 326 would be to have a 720p screen, which is of the 16:9 aspect ratio. Windows Phone currently only supports 5:3 which is why they all have the 800x480 resolution, it's the cheapest 5:3 screen res available that actually looks good.
    A lot of people don't like wp7 interface because its so different from iOS or android. The problem I have with iOS is no widgets, or no way to quickly see your information up front just by glancing at it, and android in my opinion is a cluttered mess. I think google in general has no sense for a consistent ui design. The thing is, that android in many ways with the design of the ui, is kinda like a crappier version of iOS with widgets and multiple home screens. I like m$ approach because the live tiles force an app, widget, or whatever else you pin to the start screen to essentially be the same thing, yet they have enough room to constantly change and display information without you having to open apps. but for them to do it, they had to make it look very different, I love wp7 because it smooth, consistent, stable, fantastic battery life, and extremely stylish, in comparison, it literally makes iOS and android look outdated by default imho.

Android has a huge advantage because of the hardware, but it also has the worst software and the most problems because of the consistency with the platform, imo a 50$ android phone functions way differently than a 200$ android phone. I think the only way to get a decent android phone is to buy top of the line, otherwise its going to be laggy. iPhone in general runs way better and has a much more consistent ui, but u only get 1 choice, and I think in 2011 that a 3.5" screen is too small and the lack of 4G, or at least 3.5 G hspa+ is absurd considering android devices have had 4g for over a year now.

the other reason why people are having a hard time liking wp7 is the fact that people don't like change in general. I sell computers for a living, I work at microcenter, and I can't tell you how annoyed I get by the amount of people that still ask to install windows xp on a brand new system, I mean, I think windows 7 is really better than xp in almost every way and I think from what I've seen with windows 8, it looks like a real winner. people don't realize that computers or phones, same difference nowadays really, are all about change and people don't want to have to learn better ways of doing things, a good example of this is do you still type a command line prompt into dos or the console to run a program? I'm sure there are few people who do, but the average joe doesn't and the point I'm trying to make is I think wp7 is way easier to use for the average person than android is.
    12-20-2011 07:55 AM
    Clearly Microsoft and its partners have a huge uphill battle ahead of them..

Basically the BIGGEST mistake Microsoft made is releasing a device that you either LOVE or HATE (with no room in between) in the midst of a highly competitive smartphone market led by giants like Apple and Android. Its as if Microsoft is less concerned about competing, and more like they just wanted to release their version of a smartphone.

You say (hypethically speaking) microsoft could give gift cards for the same app that you have on iphone or android. But you dont get the same apps. You get different versions of, or poor-man's versions (example: facebook, twitter, tetris, words with friends, pandora, various messenger apps, etc.. Why is this?

Xbox as a major selling point: its great if you own an Xbox.. but the integration, games, and everything else associated doesnt mean a thing to people who dont own an Xbox.
    Music player: Zune is awesome. But it lives in Microsoft land too. Does the majority of people have Zune? You need it to download music and certain apps, and for phone updates.

Microsoft Office is more widely used than the above mentioned, as its basically the standard for writing documents. So this being pre-installed is pretty cool, as no other Os has this. But its not enough to convert people because whos gonna want to edit and write documents on their phone? I use it primarily to save text message drafts in one-note.

Now to the biggest thing.. Customization. From basic phone settings to how things are displayed and used, this where you either love it or hate it, with no room in between.
    The metro UI is Wp7. It is innovative, clean, and highly useful. But it loses its charm as its the ONLY home screen to put EVERYTHING on. Younger people coming from iphone or android are gonna want more customization. Older people that have all started out on basic flip phones are gonna want more customization. Unless you solely love everything about Microsoft, there is nothing aside from the metro ui that would draw these people from what they already have.

It is evident in an app I just downloaded called 1800 pocket pc. In the 'concepts' section of this app you will see the things that wp7 needs to be a complete smartphone.
    Ideas for a separate google hub, where you have all your google apps and the option to set the search icon to automaticaly use google instead of bing. There's a 'File Explorer' concept. Ideas for tiles that have 4 sides to hold more information (cubes). And a notification center concept. These 'concepts' are generally what other OS's already have.

If Wp7 has these things in addition to the metro UI, you would definatly have a device people would be more willing convert to, instead of something you either love or hate.
    12-20-2011 10:19 AM
    All it would take is a top of the like Nokia to be launched on either of the carriers that I use.
    My company phone on VZW is due for an upgrade in Feb or March. 4G wouldn't be a determining factor for my work phone.
    For my personal phone on AT&T, I'd love to have a Nokia E7-like slider with 4G, either HSPA+ or LTE.

(My company phone is Android, and my personal phone is a BlackBerry. Prior to getting my BB, I had an iPhone4 and hated it.)
    12-20-2011 11:05 AM
    Basically the BIGGEST mistake Microsoft made is releasing a device that you either LOVE or HATE (with no room in between) in the midst of a highly competitive smartphone market led by giants like Apple and Android. Its as if Microsoft is less concerned about competing, and more like they just wanted to release their version of a smartphone.

You say (hypethically speaking) microsoft could give gift cards for the same app that you have on iphone or android. But you dont get the same apps. You get different versions of, or poor-man's versions (example: facebook, twitter, tetris, words with friends, pandora, various messenger apps, etc.. Why is this?

Xbox as a major selling point: its great if you own an Xbox.. but the integration, games, and everything else associated doesnt mean a thing to people who dont own an Xbox.
    Music player: Zune is awesome. But it lives in Microsoft land too. Does the majority of people have Zune? You need it to download music and certain apps, and for phone updates.

Microsoft Office is more widely used than the above mentioned, as its basically the standard for writing documents. So this being pre-installed is pretty cool, as no other Os has this. But its not enough to convert people because whos gonna want to edit and write documents on their phone? I use it primarily to save text message drafts in one-note.

Now to the biggest thing.. Customization. From basic phone settings to how things are displayed and used, this where you either love it or hate it, with no room in between.
    The metro UI is Wp7. It is innovative, clean, and highly useful. But it loses its charm as its the ONLY home screen to put EVERYTHING on. Younger people coming from iphone or android are gonna want more customization. Older people that have all started out on basic flip phones are gonna want more customization. Unless you solely love everything about Microsoft, there is nothing aside from the metro ui that would draw these people from what they already have.

It is evident in an app I just downloaded called 1800 pocket pc. In the 'concepts' section of this app you will see the things that wp7 needs to be a complete smartphone.
    Ideas for a separate google hub, where you have all your google apps and the option to set the search icon to automaticaly use google instead of bing. There's a 'File Explorer' concept. Ideas for tiles that have 4 sides to hold more information (cubes). And a notification center concept. These 'concepts' are generally what other OS's already have.

If Wp7 has these things in addition to the metro UI, you would definatly have a device people would be more willing convert to, instead of something you either love or hate.
    I actually have to disagree with a lot of the things you said here:

Microsoft didn't purposely make an OS that you are going to love or hate, people react that way to the os because its so different and they did this to make it competitive. For example, android users will hate me for saying this, but essentially I feel that android is a crappier version of ios. I feel that it did a couple of cool innovative things like linking with google product online, like calendar and such, notifications, etc. save for widgets, you cant say that android is very different from ios. If M$ made an os that was more or less similar to android and ios, than it would be just another os, there would be almost nothing to differentiate it from the other OSes, which imo, my favorite part of wp7 is that it is so different from the other OSes. that is also why i like WebOS back in the day because it too was also very different and innovative for its time, palm just couldn't make good hardware.

you are right in one aspect, one of the major weaknesses of wp7 is its an immature os, it just doesn't have the app catalog that android or iOS does, but I think the overall quality of the apps are far superior to android and some even beat their iOS counterparts. The main reason I say this is because one thing m$ did was that they forced apps to kind of use the hub layout, where you have a list of things or a grid that scrolls and you swipe to the right or left to get to different options, like in the apps hub, or people hub, or xbox, etc. But the great thing about this is that the apps conform to the OS and make the integration seem more unified, for example the wikipedia app has the search as the first section, swipe to the right and you get your recently searched items, and swipe to right again and you get options, similar to how all of the other parts of the phone is layed out. For the most part, android and iOS do not do this, so most apps have a big variation in their ui design, which makes some apps have a steeper learning curve because they are layed out very differently.

you also talk about how xbox only helps if you have an xbox and zune is also a microsoft product, but google and apple are no different. Of course they use their current products for leverage for selling their new products, especially look no further for apple for this. If you use itunes, which I don't, then its natural you are probably going to want an iphone which works with itunes and ipad which does so as well. also it works better with and imac or macbook pro and of course apple's icloud, another product they sell. Google does the same thing with gmail, calendar, docs, etc. So you can say that xbox integration doesn't help somebody that doesn't have an xbox, but apple's ipod program and icloud also have no use to me because I don't use other apple products either.

You are right that wp7 does have less customization but lets look at android, do you actually think that the customization android gives you actually helps make it easier to use? for example, isn't 7 homescreens on a phone way over kill? M$ only made the main start screen so you pin the things you use most to it and then you go to the app list and scroll through it for programs that are used less. It makes sense, its much easier and faster to get to what you want than having to shift through 7 homescreens and an app menu to find the program or widget you are looking for.

Also the only reason there isn't a google hub is because its a M$ product and google probably won't make an app for their search for a product that competes with theirs, like for the same reason that M$ won't make office for iOS or android, thats their leverage to get you to buy their platform. I don't like the fact with wp7 that your default search can't be google, but bing is decent and they want you to use bing to search because its another way to get you to use a m$ product because you are buying a m$ phone.

personally i would like to see a file browser, that would be nice, but i don't know what you are talking about with notifications, wp7 definitely pops up notifications on the screen or in tiles, thats the point of them. Also i think the 4 sides of a cube to hold more information isn't good either, your adding another level of complexity that just makes the phone harder to learn to use, which imo, is the greatest part of the os is its simplicity.
    12-20-2011 12:52 PM

Microsoft didn't purposely make an OS that you are going to love or hate, people react that way to the os because its so different and they did this to make it competitive. For example, android users will hate me for saying this, but essentially I feel that android is a crappier version of ios. I feel that it did a couple of cool innovative things like linking with google product online, like calendar and such, notifications, etc. save for widgets, you cant say that android is very different from ios. If M$ made an os that was more or less similar to android and ios, than it would be just another os, there would be almost nothing to differentiate it from the other OSes, which imo, my favorite part of wp7 is that it is so different from the other OSes. that is also why i like WebOS back in the day because it too was also very different and innovative for its time, palm just couldn't make good hardware.

you are right in one aspect, one of the major weaknesses of wp7 is its an immature os, it just doesn't have the app catalog that android or iOS does, but I think the overall quality of the apps are far superior to android and some even beat their iOS counterparts. The main reason I say this is because one thing m$ did was that they forced apps to kind of use the hub layout, where you have a list of things or a grid that scrolls and you swipe to the right or left to get to different options, like in the apps hub, or people hub, or xbox, etc. But the great thing about this is that the apps conform to the OS and make the integration seem more unified, for example the wikipedia app has the search as the first section, swipe to the right and you get your recently searched items, and swipe to right again and you get options, similar to how all of the other parts of the phone is layed out. For the most part, android and iOS do not do this, so most apps have a big variation in their ui design, which makes some apps have a steeper learning curve because they are layed out very differently.

you also talk about how xbox only helps if you have an xbox and zune is also a microsoft product, but google and apple are no different. Of course they use their current products for leverage for selling their new products, especially look no further for apple for this. If you use itunes, which I don't, then its natural you are probably going to want an iphone which works with itunes and ipad which does so as well. also it works better with and imac or macbook pro and of course apple's icloud, another product they sell. Google does the same thing with gmail, calendar, docs, etc. So you can say that xbox integration doesn't help somebody that doesn't have an xbox, but apple's ipod program and icloud also have no use to me because I don't use other apple products either.

You are right that wp7 does have less customization but lets look at android, do you actually think that the customization android gives you actually helps make it easier to use? for example, isn't 7 homescreens on a phone way over kill? M$ only made the main start screen so you pin the things you use most to it and then you go to the app list and scroll through it for programs that are used less. It makes sense, its much easier and faster to get to what you want than having to shift through 7 homescreens and an app menu to find the program or widget you are looking for.

Also the only reason there isn't a google hub is because its a M$ product and google probably won't make an app for their search for a product that competes with theirs, like for the same reason that M$ won't make office for iOS or android, thats their leverage to get you to buy their platform. I don't like the fact with wp7 that your default search can't be google, but bing is decent and they want you to use bing to search because its another way to get you to use a m$ product because you are buying a m$ phone.

Actually MS is rumored to be set to release office for ipad and they of course have being putting out ofice for mac os for a long time and continue to do so

personally i would like to see a file browser, that would be nice, but i don't know what you are talking about with notifications, wp7 definitely pops up notifications on the screen or in tiles, thats the point of them. Also i think the 4 sides of a cube to hold more information isn't good either, your adding another level of complexity that just makes the phone harder to learn to use, which imo, is the greatest part of the os is its simplicity.
    Although I am not really sure about using a file browseer I can see there might be times when it would be useful and I dont think we need a four sided cube tile anymore than I want to see seven home pages. If I want those things I would have bought an android device a long time ago relatively speaking.
    12-20-2011 01:18 PM

Wow, this really blew me away. Definitely a great read, and worth reading.

iOS vs Android - According to Steve Jobs and company, people do feel that Google took what they knew of iOS and stole the ideology to make it into Android. So, I can agree with you that it is "the crappier iOS". Coming from an Android user, I don't hate you for saying it... I actually applaud you for doing what others can't.

Home screens - I do have to agree, 7 home screens is a lot to adjust to. Especially for me, that I never found anything worth filling up 7 home screens. So what I would do is just install a custom launcher and change the icon grid from 4x4 to 8x8 and just shove everything on one home screen, because it just worked out much easier handling 1 home screen instead of 7.

Ecosystem - iOS has an ecosystem of connectivity, working well with different things (iOS working with iDevices and etc). What I like about what M$ is doing is making an actual cross platform ecosystem, everything basically running the same UI design. Integrating the look and feel into every product. This helps minimize the learning curve, and puts everything in an easy perspective that I think people will really like.

Customization - I think there is a difference between look and feel, and customization. When you come from an Android you have the entire device at your fingertips. Custom launchers, wallpapers, ring tones, the entire works. This is aesthetics, and if you already have a beautiful UI you don't need any of it. My issue was with Android that I can't stand HTC Sense. I love my DInc, but I can't stand HTC Sense. So I root'd and ROM'd, using Cyanogen mod. Simply did this because I didn't like the look and feel of HTC Sense (to be honest I don't like any of them. TouchWiz/MotoBlur/HTC Sense/etc). If you take this into an account for WP7, I think due to the beautiful design (in my opinion of course) speaks for itself and doesn't need customization.

App catalog - As M$ and others always put it "It's not about the QUANTITY of apps but the QUALITY of apps". I would much rather see an app store filled with 50,000 GOOD apps that we actually need and use, then 500,000 apps that are mostly spam and bloat. Sorry, but I've seen a lot of the apps on the Apple Store and most of them are just down right stupid.

I think what people need to realize to change from iOS or Android to WP7, is the simple boredom of looking at the same design and popularity. Once you have a group of friends with one or two people tagging along with WP7's... everyone in that group is going to want one because most people are followers and not leaders. I have a friend that used to be a complete Sidekick fan and then started hanging out with the local BlackBerry crew and decided to pick one up for himself. Once he started hanging out with the iPhone crew he ditched the BB on the spot for the iPhone. I guarantee there are a lot of these people out there, they just need to be pushed in a more wide direction then following everyone else.

Once WP7 goes "Mainstream" more then likely next year or so, we will see WP7 take off like a speed of light. Right now the strongest thing is word of mouth, and pointing people in the right direction. We shall see.
    Ridemyscooter86 likes this.
    12-20-2011 01:37 PM
    I'm working on convincing my wife to switch. So far, the number one factor she is considering is the value of Zune downloads. Microsoft should advertise this feature more.
    iaj94z likes this.
    12-20-2011 02:48 PM
    As a hardcore Android user it would take a lot for me to switch to Windows Phone.

They would need to to open up the OS a little more for me. Not enough to cause severe fragmentation. Bit enough to were I feel like I can call the device my own. Add ability for different keyboards, wallpapers, change transparency of the tiles, smaller ans bigger tiles, more interactive tiles, etc...

I don't really see Microsoft really changing what I need to leave Android anytime soon, so I don't really think about leaving often.

PS. They also need better hardware.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk
    :)

so....you want a smoother Android basically. :)
    12-20-2011 05:34 PM
    Not sure I really understand all the phone proselytizing...

Maybe if the platform were more popular we'd have more apps and such but to me it's cool having such a slick underdog phone. It'll never be as underdog as webos though :P
    12-20-2011 05:43 PM
137 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD