Newbie questions

Matthew Mazzenga

Sep 24, 2011
Visit site
The arrow lets new users know that the they can scroll sideways, which isn't otherwise noticable. (Note that MS went out of their way to make the arrow bounce rightward when at the top or bottom of the list to draw more attention to the ability to move sideways to the full app list.)

The size of the live tiles isn't about to change without advance warning because thousands of developers have built apps (including push servers) all expecting a 173x173 canvas.

Regardless of tile size, I'm just saying maybe that space could be used for something more than an arrow. Having it there to show a new user that there's an app list to the right is a lame reason to have it. New user only needs to be shown that once. Once you know the app list is there, the arrow now servers no purpose.

oberry

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
I'm really trying to convert to this device. I found a few work arounds, and all in all I'm happy with it. But if I can't use it as a music player (i.e. can't change the audio settings), then I can't make it my all-in-one device (and no, not planning on lugging an iPod around in addition to it).

martin_strahilovski

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
I'm really trying to convert to this device. I found a few work arounds, and all in all I'm happy with it. But if I can't use it as a music player (i.e. can't change the audio settings), then I can't make it my all-in-one device (and no, not planning on lugging an iPod around in addition to it).

I think that there were apps for separate controlling your audio, but i think that they were homebrew apps. If i found the apps i'll post link here in this thread.

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
olly you may be able to access the registry and do something with sepearate volume control inside the registry but you will need interop and chevron unlock there is I believe a homebrew app that gives you a file reguistry access app. I remember reading about it eithere here or on wmpoweruser. I will try to take a look and see if I can find it!

SuperSport

Mar 25, 2008
Visit site
bump

Also, an update on facebook notifications. I re-enabled email notifications, set up a rule in Gmail to skip the inbox on those messages and label them as 'Facebook'. Then I set up a tile for that folder. A bit of a hassle to set up and not the most elegant of solutions, but it'll do for now.

My biggest gripe is the lack of audio settings for music. It's just FLAT. I found there's an HTC app that allows you to tweak audio settings, but you can't even side load it without HTC hardware. I refuse to believe this isn't seen as a major problem by the masses. Some one must have developed an app for it by now? Is there a website somewhere to view developer apps that aren't in the marketplace? Grrr....
I'm impressed, you worked that out well for a workaround. Also, did you know you can set Facebook as a Contact, then you can Voice Text the Facebook Contact to set your status? Allows Setting your status while you are driving, or spelunking, or whatever... :)

sk1rtsfly

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Looks like you're right. Any idea if someone has ported it so that I can install it as a dev?

Best advice I can offer: get familiar with XDA-Developers.com! Many cool exploits available. With interop-unlock you can sideload virtually any WP homebrew app!

Last edited:

jbrandonf

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
Regardless of tile size, I'm just saying maybe that space could be used for something more than an arrow. Having it there to show a new user that there's an app list to the right is a lame reason to have it. New user only needs to be shown that once. Once you know the app list is there, the arrow now servers no purpose.

Dude, get over the fact that it's a damn arrow...you don't understand how simple people need things to be.. I sell phones for a major carrier (I'm the windows rep!) When I show them WP I need to repeat things often and get their mind working to the dynamic of it. Older people especially need a visual indicator because they're not accustomed to swiping, I've noticed.

We can have it your way or we can keep things as simple as possible in order to get mass adoption instead of mostly MS enthusiasts and the cutting edge tech guys. Tech savvy people are often the last people to listen to when it comes to design because we often 'get it' faster than everyone else.

dtreo

Aug 10, 2009
Visit site
Dude, get over the fact that it's a damn arrow...you don't understand how simple people need things to be.. I sell phones for a major carrier (I'm the windows rep!) When I show them WP I need to repeat things often and get their mind working to the dynamic of it. Older people especially need a visual indicator because they're not accustomed to swiping, I've noticed.

We can have it your way or we can keep things as simple as possible in order to get mass adoption instead of mostly MS enthusiasts and the cutting edge tech guys. Tech savvy people are often the last people to listen to when it comes to design because we often 'get it' faster than everyone else.

*sorry olly
@jbrandonf You're seriously kidding, right? Your comment suggests that WP7 users aren't tech savvy enough to pick up the phone and swipe to side without having an arrow showing them where to go? By that reasoning, iPhone and Android users are brilliant geniuses who somehow know they can swipe left or right from their home screens to access other panels or information.
Obviously we're beating a dead horse here and it's something that won't change, but my original point was that it's pretty obvious that space is wasted by the arrow and space beneath it on the home screen. I don't need a sticker on my car next to the door handle showing me where to grab it and open the door. I somehow figured it out and remembered each time thereafter.
I agree that it's just a design element of WP7 (perhaps to avoid an appearance patent??), but it's also pretty obvious that the space could be put to better use.

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
The chevron 7 unlock was a deal initially for the sale of 10,000 tokens and they have sold all of those. For now chevron7 may be gone hopefully they will work out something with MS to keep it going.

Last edited:

SolunaKitty

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
Thew chevron 7 unlock was a deaal initially for the sale of 10,000 tokens and they have sold all of those. For now chevron7 may be gone hopefully they will work out something with MS to keep it going.

Until then, the AppHub way is still free if you have a .edu address.

CHIP72

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
I cannot understand the reasoning behind wasting so much space on the home screen for the right arrow. Why is that not eliminated and each tile widened for more info and a simple swipe to the right goes to the apps list just like pushing the arrow does now? Is there any good reason or patent issue to explain this design?

I just don't get that one.

I haven't read the entire thread yet so maybe this has already been answered, but I think the space to the right of the tiles is there to allow you to scroll through the tiles on the "main" screen without actually touching the tiles (and it is on the right because most people are right-handed). IMO, this is actually a subtle but good feature.

One thing I would like to see is an ability to scroll to the left and have a second set of dual tile columns.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graceevans