Nokia Lumia sales are disastrous

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
I think Nokia will do fairly well globally.

There are positive indications in Europe.

Middle East: I think Nokia WP devices will be a success in the Middle East, particularly the Gulf. Brand recognition exists, so does plenty of nostalgia and a substantial portion of the youth and young adult demographic use Xbox 360/Live, Skype, Facebook, Windows Live, etc, and would dig integration onto a mobile device.

South Asia: Both high and lower-end WP devices have potential there, brand recognition exists and there is still a big feature-phone market among middle/lower-middle class consumers. Like in the Middle East, higher end consumers use Microsoft's eco-system across multiple key areas (esp. Skype, Windows Live).

North America: Might sound surprising, and it depends on a lot of things - not least Nokia ensuring its presence among carriers. If it can get its own kiosks/sections with proper sales people at the carrier-retail level, I am 100% sure it'll do fairly well.

I am concerned about India and their preferred method of shaing music etc via bluetooth which is not supported currently. That is something that would seem to me to be somthing that MS and Nokia would/should have known aboutbefore they launched WP services in India. MS and Nokia should get on that issue quickly and come up with a fix pronto. Thats a big slice of the market to ignore or offend.

jalb

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
I am concerned about India and their preferred method of shaing music etc via bluetooth which is not supported currently. That is something that would seem to me to be somthing that MS and Nokia would/should have known aboutbefore they launched WP services in India. MS and Nokia should get on that issue quickly and come up with a fix pronto. Thats a big slice of the market to ignore or offend.

When you say "sharing music" do you mean literally sending an MP3 file to another handset? If that is what it it sounds like, I can't imagine Microsoft ever supporting it. Or at least, it would never happen here in the US.

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
Thats exactly what I mean apparently that id the main way that people in India share files etc including music. There was a poster who started a thread here about it and it be a deal killer for WP success in India!

N8ter

Banned
Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
And when iOS was like at the 3GS. Things are a lot harder now. It will take more than pretty to make a factorable impact on the market.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

keyboardP

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
There really is nothing wrong with the phone or the platform. Where it's failing is the marketing and sales. Marketing's been improved with Nokia on board, but it's still not something people think of when they think of smartphones. It also seems price and hardware specs are the key factors. Most people aren't going to compare the specs on paper to the real life experience and will just go for whatever sounds more powerful. On this front, Android has a huge range of devices with amazing specs (regardless of how it actually performs) and that sells the phone. iPhone obviously has the marketing and branding advantage. Lumia (or WP in general) doesn't have either at the moment, even if it is such an amazing platform. I think when the new set of devices launch in 2012, with competitive hardware, comes out that'll help WP quite a bit.

jalb

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
Thats exactly what I mean apparently that id the main way that people in India share files etc including music. There was a poster who started a thread here about it and it be a deal killer for WP success in India!

I don't think they are going to promote a fast and easy way to pirate music in order to market their phones. If they do, it will be quite different from the way they do things here, at least.

L

lumic

Is it just me, or are people becoming careless about revealing their methods of obtaining music? First, someone tells me Windows Phone should have a file manager so they can access the music they download in zip files. Now, you want to BT music to your friends?

If you want to go illegal, choose Android. Not saying Google condones it, but that's simply what's possible with the kind of OS Android is. Much like how Windows Mobile was.

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
Why does it MATTER to you what they rank in sales compared to the competition? Also, its very hilarious to dismiss a company after one year. Look at android

sent from the MyTouch 4G

L

lumic

With iPhone you can not share your music via BT. With WP 7.5 you can do that via SkyDrive :D
That's not the same, as it will require the person you are sharing with to have a data connection and they also will have to locate your file on SkyDrive. A bluetooth file transfer is much easier, but constrained by data transfer speeds and proximity.

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
I don't think they are going to promote a fast and easy way to pirate music in order to market their phones. If they do, it will be quite different from the way they do things here, at least.

A a lawyer I am certainly not advocating piracy I am just reacting to the OP when he says that in India a vast majority of cell phone/smartphone users share music already using BT tecnology and it would thus appear that MS and Nokia should have done enough due diligence to know that and make allowances for that reality if they are trying to market the 710 effectively in the Indian market which has I believe the third or second largest population/economy in the world.

sam17ub

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
Microsoft can do all they want to be the "Good guy" and prevent music piracy by not allowing users to share music via Bluetooth, but they won't be able to sell WP devices in developing markets like India and Bangladesh -- where music piracy is almost at 100%.

They shouldn't disallow technologies like Bluetooth and File Manager just because users can use them for piracy. The technologies themselves are not bad. It's up to the users to decide how they use or abuse them.

I fully expect Windows Phone Apollo to bring these features, because otherwise they won't be able to catch the global market. Android is becoming popular in these parts because of cheap devices, and the ability to pirate music/video/books/apps.

chasvs

Nov 30, 2011
Visit site

sam17ub

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, that really doesn't make it a great reason for Microsoft to open up bluetooth file transfer.

Microsoft should give users what they want. Bluetooth file transfer itself is not a bad or illegal technology. What users do with it shouldn't be Microsoft's headache as long as they sell devices.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett