12-30-2011 07:56 PM
70 123
tools
    With all that I previously said, I am constantly surprised with the usability of my HTC Surround, and think this is a great OS with tons of potential, and while I personally feel that WP7 as a system is many times better than iOS, and will do everything I can to push it to iOS users and new smartphone consumers I feel that the system is not at all for my needs for a primary device. Android has so many features and abilities that I either need or strongly desire that WP7 devices can not cut it for me.

I feel that WP7 is much easier to use than iOS, while it simultaneously has much more power and capability cleverly integrated within the base OS (mostly coming with Mango I believe).
    The Zune integration is great, and I love it MUCH more than the crap that is iTunes and the iPod app.
    The Metro UI is slick.
    The back button is an absolute necessity.
    The search button is nice to have and I am in awe of its integrated local scout, music, and picture search while coupled with translating text straight from the search pictures.
    The social networking integration is phenomenal for this day and age, and have found that I actually have used facebook for the first time in years because it is so easy to quickly use from the People/Group hubs. As well as the integration of social network messaging seamless switching within the SMS messaging app.
    I personally hate using the physical camera button although I appreciate many people love it, but I feel incapable of taking steady pictures with it.
    I love the Office hub, and think it's the best implementation for document editing than I've used with Quickoffice, Officesuite, Documents To Go, and many spreadsheet apps for iOS.
    12-28-2011 04:54 PM
    Flash as well. I know adobe said they were stopping development for flash for mobile....but 99% of sites out there AREN'T. It's all fine and well moving on but don't leave wp7 in the dark. MS better get on this sharpish.
    I'm Curious, why do you want flash? Is it for playing video, or animations?
    12-28-2011 11:44 PM
    You really don't want Flash on a mobile device. My Kindle Fire has Flash, but when I tried to run a Flash website that runs fine on my Windows 7 PC, it was just stutter-city. Flash is a CPU-hound.
    12-30-2011 05:12 AM
    I'm Curious, why do you want flash? Is it for playing video, or animations?
    videos on websites
    12-30-2011 08:04 AM
    Maybe someone has mentioned this but the ringer Volume needs to go:

Ringer>>> Vibrate >>> Silent via the volume buttons, why this standard feature on every other platform is not available (unless you set Ringer>>> silent) is beyond me.
    12-30-2011 08:05 AM
    iOS does not have silent ringer. I can volume down to 1 but will not go to 0. I can mute with the mute switch but that makes it vibrate.
    12-30-2011 10:14 AM
    I see so many complaints about a lack of a file explorer here. Honestly coming from windows mobile I don't miss this at all and I can see that files and media are arranged in a different and more intuitive way that some may not quite yet understand. For those who want these capabilities they can just simply pay $9USD to chevron and then those capabilities will be restored. Flash is also becoming obsolete slowly but surely, sites like YouTube,metacafe,dailymotion and some unmentionable guilty pleasure sites are already implementing html5 video, its a buggy 17 year old technology that needs to die already.

Things I want wp7 to improve on are simple and that's the Skype integration which is coming,more formatting options in office,a way to watch music videos in the Zune marketplace and maybe the ability to delete,edit,like comments etc in the people hub.

How is the new Xbox dashboard adware? I must be missing something here, there aren't anymore ads than the previous version of the dashboard.
    I hate the new dashboard. Tiny little square in the corner that says play game....huuuge tile advertising something to buy. What annots me even more us they are offering video on demand services now. In the UK right now uts YouTube, dailymotion, 4od, demand 5....catch us you need to buy gold in order to use them. Why should we pay MS to use something I might aswell just watch on my pc....absolute joke....
    12-30-2011 12:24 PM
    iOS does not have silent ringer. I can volume down to 1 but will not go to 0. I can mute with the mute switch but that makes it vibrate.
    The iPhone has a hardware button/toggle for that.

Seriously?!
    12-30-2011 12:57 PM
    I hate the new dashboard. Tiny little square in the corner that says play game....huuuge tile advertising something to buy. What annots me even more us they are offering video on demand services now. In the UK right now uts YouTube, dailymotion, 4od, demand 5....catch us you need to buy gold in order to use them. Why should we pay MS to use something I might aswell just watch on my pc....absolute joke....
    THIS. Every pane is 85% Advertisements either for crap in the Marketplace or some Chuck Norris WoW commercial.

And speaking of YouTube, it doesn't even play HD on my HDTV and they is no way to force it to HD like on a desktop or Mobile.

And yea, the whole XBLive Gold thing, I'm getting to the point where I'm going to sell it and get a PS3. The console feels like a smartphone. No data plan (XBL Gold)? Why bother?
    12-30-2011 01:05 PM
    Seriously? As if u can't set it to automatically start the game u wish to play or access it from the Xbox button menu,its not that much smaller unless u have some vision problems. as for paying its very easy to get discounts and rebates to easily cut down the price to almost nothing, its very good value considering what u can get, as well as a more secure gaming experience. Some HDTV's can upconvert non-HD material to HD easily. That may also be the fault of google and not MS.
    maybe I don't want it to autostart...thats beside the point anyway...the fact is...the layout is crap
    12-30-2011 01:33 PM
    1. Notification center of some kind. It's still too easy to miss a notification and not be aware of it.

2. Email still looks better in iOS. WP7 needs an option for automatically downloading/displaying email images by default. It also needs to size the email screen so that emails are more legible. Reading emails in WP7 often requires too much user intervention, usually to display images or to resize the screen. iOS handles this automatically for the user so that I spend time actually reading my email instead of having to fiddle with it first.

Fix those two issues and most of my frustration with using WP7 would be resolved.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    12-30-2011 02:41 PM
    sorry but it's far from crap, its better than the ps3 layout.
    no...it IS crap
    12-30-2011 02:48 PM
    When someone starts acting like that just report the post please.
    12-30-2011 03:55 PM
    THIS. Every pane is 85% Advertisements either for crap in the Marketplace or some Chuck Norris WoW commercial.

And speaking of YouTube, it doesn't even play HD on my HDTV and they is no way to force it to HD like on a desktop or Mobile.

And yea, the whole XBLive Gold thing, I'm getting to the point where I'm going to sell it and get a PS3. The console feels like a smartphone. No data plan (XBL Gold)? Why bother?
    Youtube plays HD videos just fine for me.

As for Xbox Live Gold and your dislike for the new dash, you're probably are better off getting a PS3... although the PS3 interface is completely retarded and very awkward, IMO... especially PSN (I also own a PS3). The Xbox shines for it's Gold service. I'm a serious online gamer - that's why I'm Xbox. Okay, maybe XBLA also kicks the *** out of PSN, and I prefer the wider variety of exclusives on the 360.

If you're a casual gamer, I recommend the PS3. Freebie online (but don't start crying when the servers are down), BD - and a very good one at that, and numerous online streaming services.

maybe I don't want it to autostart...thats beside the point anyway...the fact is...the layout is crap
    That's not a fact. It's an opinion. I happen to like it. I think it's simple to use and fast to navigate through.
    12-30-2011 04:26 PM

As for Xbox Live Gold and your dislike for the new dash, you're probably are better off getting a PS3... although the PS3 interface is completely retarded and very awkward, IMO... especially PSN (I also own a PS3). The Xbox shines for it's Gold service. I'm a serious online gamer - that's why I'm Xbox. Okay, maybe XBLA also kicks the *** out of PSN, and I prefer the wider variety of exclusives on the 360.

If you're a casual gamer, I recommend the PS3. Freebie online (but don't start crying when the servers are down), BD - and a very good one at that, and numerous online streaming services.

That's not a fact. It's an opinion. I happen to like it. I think it's simple to use and fast to navigate through.
    How about....until they come up with a UI that EVERYONE likes...it will always be crap...? lol A truly Good interface will be one everyone enjoys ;)
    12-30-2011 04:36 PM
    How about....until they come up with a UI that EVERYONE likes...it will always be crap...? lol A truly Good interface will be one everyone enjoys ;)
    What a strange little world you live in. How's the weather on planet mkr? :P
    12-30-2011 05:11 PM
    What a strange little world you live in. How's the weather on planet mkr? :P

It's raining upwards
    Big Supes likes this.
    12-30-2011 05:25 PM
    That actually makes a lot of sense. :D
    12-30-2011 05:29 PM

The issue with gold is not because of online gaming, which I don't do at all. My nephew has a ps3. It's not retardedly laid out sorry. a lot of the online features do not require you to break out a credit card.

The issue with gold is that Microsoft had hidden all decent functionality behind that wall. They effectively make you pay a premium on services you already own, when you can easily hdmi a pc to your HDTV an do it for free with a wireless keyboard and mouse - and game too, for that matter, with free online and better graphics to boot.

They have gone overboard with what they hide behind xbl gold membership. 90% of the xbox apps are worthless with out gold. Maybe 99% even.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
    12-30-2011 07:50 PM
    Also the layout itself isn't the issue. The issue is that it's laden with advertisements. It is basically adware. I don't think I need to provide pictures cause a quick image search can confirm that. The left two most tiles are useful, everything else is basically an ad.

Would you like your windows phone if only the two top tiles were usable and the rest of the start screen were advertisements? That's basically what the new Xbox dashboard feels like.

The old dashboard did mt have that many ads. I went buy a new tv at best buy yesterday and got to play around with a 360 that wasn't updated. It's a colossal waste I space and makes you jump in and out of hubs for no logical reason, except they couldn't put anything on top because they wanted the space for ads.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
    12-30-2011 07:56 PM
70 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD