Things windows phone needs to improve on

M

mkr10001

File system, ability to download and save files off the internet. Video playing!! I want to watch tvcatchup on my lumia but I can't.

Flash as well. I know adobe said they were stopping development for flash for mobile....but 99% of sites out there AREN'T. It's all fine and well moving on but don't leave wp7 in the dark. MS better get on this sharpish.

Also iOS and android developers needs to get off their arses and do apps for wp7.

Anyone who says wp7 is crap has obviously never used it, need to give it a chance

KingCrimson

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
The file system thing is not legitimate as that ability does not exist on either iOS or non-rooted Android. The whole point of a mobile phone is ease of use. Fiddling around with the file system goes against that philosophy.

Flash is no good. Even though my Kindle Fire comes with it, I tried it on a web site for streaming video and it was choppy and awful. Just not enough processing power on mobile devices to support Flash.

Why should iOS developers bother with a non-existent platform? I know iOS developers making loads of money off that alone and they dislike Microsoft too.

I've seen plenty of WP7 demos on Youtube, it is impressive but overall the ecosystem is lacking. Not just lack of quality apps, but lack of hardware accessories. Where are the docks?

mhans311

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
The file system thing is not legitimate as that ability does not exist on either iOS or non-rooted Android. The whole point of a mobile phone is ease of use. Fiddling around with the file system goes against that philosophy.

Flash is no good. Even though my Kindle Fire comes with it, I tried it on a web site for streaming video and it was choppy and awful. Just not enough processing power on mobile devices to support Flash.

Why should iOS developers bother with a non-existent platform? I know iOS developers making loads of money off that alone and they dislike Microsoft too.

I've seen plenty of WP7 demos on Youtube, it is impressive but overall the ecosystem is lacking. Not just lack of quality apps, but lack of hardware accessories. Where are the docks?

My Droid X came with a file explorer stock.

Flash is definitely not ideal, but at times it is a necessary evil. Actually, just now to register for this forum I had to use flash on my phone's web browser.

I do agree that the app support is just not there for wp7. If it were, I would switch tomorrow. That is the main thing holding me back. WP7 design makes iOS and Android look like they were designed by a 10 year old.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

KingCrimson

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site

Flash is definitely not ideal, but at times it is a necessary evil. Actually, just now to register for this forum I had to use flash on my phone's web browser.

I do agree that the app support is just not there for wp7. If it were, I would switch tomorrow. That is the main thing holding me back. WP7 design makes iOS and Android look like they were designed by a 10 year old.

Once again, I don't know what you do with a file system on a mobile device, can you give me some use cases?

Flash is just no good and Apple has proven it with their success being Flash-free.

Regarding iOS looking like a UI designed by a 10yo - that is insulting. It's inspired by the OS X GUI which is originally inspired by the Xerox PARC project which i can assure you was not designed by kids. Do you study computing history at all?

jleebiker

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
Once again, I don't know what you do with a file system on a mobile device, can you give me some use cases?

Flash is just no good and Apple has proven it with their success being Flash-free.

Regarding iOS looking like a UI designed by a 10yo - that is insulting. It's inspired by the OS X GUI which is originally inspired by the Xerox PARC project which i can assure you was not designed by kids. Do you study computing history at all?
File level access-I've had to use my phone as an emergency USB drive from time to time. Not storing of pics or videos or songs, plain files of many diff types. Its convenient to just connect my phone to the PC and move files. Not every PC is connected to a network or the cloud.

mhans311

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
Originally Posted by mhans311

Actually no. I don't study computing history. All I know is that the iOS UI is nothing but a grid of icons. Not very inspiring. Apple is successful because of the apps and the ecosystem, not because of its UI. Apple has some awesome apps and their products look nice. That's why they are so successful.

I don't like flash either, but apple is successful despite lack of flash support, not because of lack of flash support. It's nice to have the option of using it if I need it.

I don't use file explorers much but I do use them sometimes to move and rename files.

mYth

Jun 6, 2011
Visit site
Wp7 is just a grid of tiles. Not seeing a huge difference. Blackberry is a grid of apps. Android is a grid of apps and widgets. Webos is yeah. You get the point.

Sent from my SGH-i677 using Board Express

mhans311

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
Wp7 is just a grid of tiles. Not seeing a huge difference. Blackberry is a grid of apps. Android is a grid of apps and widgets. Webos is yeah. You get the point.

Sent from my SGH-i677 using Board Express

Actually android has a lot more options with live updating Widgets and live wallpapers. It only turns into a straight grid when you open the app drawer. WP7 has live tiles that actually change and move and actually give some valuable information without having to open an app for every single thing.

InfectedPhreak

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
In my daily life having a rooted and ROM'd DInc, I never use the file explorer. Some people need it, and some people don't.... That's why we have options, and countless devices on the market.

As for apps, I would much rather see... 50,000 quality apps then 500,000 bloat apps. I'm not saying that WP7 has or doesn't have quality apps... but I still don't see the argument when it comes to app stores. iOS was the first market, and obviously is going to have every app first and foremost. With Android rising to the top very quickly a lot of the iOS apps are being made or ported over to Android. Once WP7 picks up, and becomes the norm and is integrated into society I guarantee we'll see a lot more apps.

Every phone has a purpose, and everyone has a purpose for a phone. Flock to what you need from your device.

M

mkr10001

Symbian aka the original smartphone OS had file system and still does. That is something a smartphone really should have

L

lumic

File level access-I've had to use my phone as an emergency USB drive from time to time. Not storing of pics or videos or songs, plain files of many diff types. Its convenient to just connect my phone to the PC and move files. Not every PC is connected to a network or the cloud.
Mass Storage -> Partitioning -> Mess

Symbian aka the original smartphone OS had file system and still does. That is something a smartphone really should have
Provide a use case apart from using a microSD card as a mass storage device, hence introducing partitioning and the subsequent inability to utilise all memory you have for what you want. Besides, does it cause you pain to keep a tiny 8GB thumb drive nearby? I'll even buy you one.

koolkid09

May 28, 2011
Visit site
I use astro file manager (a file system) on my phone all the time. I use it to move files from folder to folder, create new folders, hide pictures (that I otherwise would not be able to do on the computer), etc... I couldn't imagine having a phone without one.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

M

mkr10001

Mass Storage -> Partitioning -> Mess

Provide a use case apart from using a microSD card as a mass storage device, hence introducing partitioning and the subsequent inability to utilise all memory you have for what you want. Besides, does it cause you pain to keep a tiny 8GB thumb drive nearby? I'll even buy you one.

a usb thumb drive won't help me save files to my phone. I would love to (once again ) be able to download a zip file on my phone, unzip and listen to music inside it. Surely the point if a smartphone is to be able to do stuff you can do on a computer bur on your phone

InfectedPhreak

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
I use astro file manager (a file system) on my phone all the time. I use it to move files from folder to folder, create new folders, hide pictures (that I otherwise would not be able to do on the computer), etc... I couldn't imagine having a phone without one.

Hiding pictures, just email them to yourself. It's what I do all the time. As for folders, I really don't see the necessity other then hiding your pictures.. which there are always alternatives. Which if you don't want people going through your email I'm sure you could easily find a application locker, and just lock up your gmail.

a usb thumb drive won't help me save files to my phone. I would love to (once again ) be able to download a zip file on my phone, unzip and listen to music inside it. Surely the point if a smartphone is to be able to do stuff you can do on a computer bur on your phone

Why do you need to zip and unzip the files? Could easily just use Skydrive and download the songs you want and play them from there. I'm not sure if it's possible to play music and or use files right from Skydrive, but I have heard around the forums of people downloading and playing music from Skydrive. Complicating a rather simple task, I think. :X

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
in the Xbox LIVE HUB .... move the * GET MORE GAMES* to the top!!!

i have tomany games and havign to scroll to *half page* kinda blows.

M

mkr10001

Why do you need to zip and unzip the files? Could easily just use Skydrive and download the songs you want and play them from there. I'm not sure if it's possible to play music and or use files right from Skydrive, but I have heard around the forums of people downloading and playing music from Skydrive. Complicating a rather simple task, I think. :X

no these aren't files I already have. If im away from my computer I'd like to be able to download a variety of files, zips being one of them. Sometimes music comes in a zip file and id like to be able to download and okay it. I don't think that's over implicating a thing, not is it a lot to ask of a smartphone

InfectedPhreak

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
no these aren't files I already have. If im away from my computer I'd like to be able to download a variety of files, zips being one of them. Sometimes music comes in a zip file and id like to be able to download and okay it. I don't think that's over implicating a thing, not is it a lot to ask of a smartphone

Oh, so you're talking about ripping something from like mediafire and having to deal with rar's and stuff. Then, you would need zip/unzip and file structure... so I can see your point.

Matthew Mazzenga

Sep 24, 2011
Visit site
I can't understand trying to do everything that you can on a computer, on a phone. For as seldomly as I need to download and open a .zip file, I can wait til I get to the laptop/desktop.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99