Things windows phone needs to improve on

M

mkr10001

I can't understand trying to do everything that you can on a computer, on a phone. For as seldomly as I need to download and open a .zip file, I can wait til I get to the laptop/desktop.

yeah that's fine that's your choice. Do you not understand that other people may want things in a phone that you don't necessarily need or want?????!!

M

mkr10001

That's how I feel... A smart phone is a smart phone, at the end of the day it's a phone.

SMARTphone. Considering I was unzipping on my old nokias 3/4 years ago.....its not as if what I'm asking is a brand new never done before inconceivable feature. If all you want in a phone is a phone then get yourself a ?10 Samsung.

Technoogy is meant to be going forward. You clearly don't understand what a smartphone is all about if you don't understand that to some extent they are here so you can do things on the go that you would usually need a pc for

power5

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Apple iPhone is so popular BECAUSE of its UI. Before iPhone you had win mobile 6 or something. Apple made phones usable at such a small size. I can barely hit the windows start button on my touch screen Dell. That is how win mobile was but on a much much smaller screen. Apple UI made it so icons were the size of finger tips. All of their input selections are the size of finger tips. That is what catapulted the iPhone success. There were no apps when it launched so saying apps are what made the iPhone what it is today is only partially true. A year after app store launch, which was 2 years after the phone launch, the app store only had 55,000 apps. So iPhone did not become so popular because its apps were in such demand. Same demand and dev involvement as windows phone practically.

Last edited:

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
The file system thing is not legitimate as that ability does not exist on either iOS or non-rooted Android. The whole point of a mobile phone is ease of use. Fiddling around with the file system goes against that philosophy.

Flash is no good. Even though my Kindle Fire comes with it, I tried it on a web site for streaming video and it was choppy and awful. Just not enough processing power on mobile devices to support Flash.

Why should iOS developers bother with a non-existent platform? I know iOS developers making loads of money off that alone and they dislike Microsoft too.

I've seen plenty of WP7 demos on Youtube, it is impressive but overall the ecosystem is lacking. Not just lack of quality apps, but lack of hardware accessories. Where are the docks?

Regarding your Kindle and Flash. Its all about the OS and implementation. Considering the Blackberry Playbook uses the same hardware as the Kindle Fire, and it runs Flash very well (zero choppiness), I think that says a lot about Androids implementation.

Matthew Mazzenga

Sep 24, 2011
Visit site
yeah that's fine that's your choice. Do you not understand that other people may want things in a phone that you don't necessarily need or want?????!!

Lol! Get your panties outta your crack and settle down, son. I can have an opinion just as much as you can. No need for all the extra punctuation.

M

mkr10001

Lol! Get your panties outta your crack and settle down, son. I can have an opinion just as much as you can. No need for all the extra punctuation.

your post came across rather uppity, so I replied in a manner I saw fit. Fair enough if you weren't being uppity.

btw I like my panties up my crack

Matthew Mazzenga

Sep 24, 2011
Visit site
your post came across rather uppity, so I replied in a manner I saw fit. Fair enough if you weren't being uppity.

btw I like my panties up my crack

Lol. Nice.

No, I wasn't being uppity in my post. Just making an observation. Everyone has their own wants/needs for their smartphones. Unfortunately, most people will never get everything they want.

koolkid09

May 28, 2011
Visit site
Hiding pictures, just email them to yourself. It's what I do all the time. As for folders, I really don't see the necessity other then hiding your pictures.. which there are always alternatives. Which if you don't want people going through your email I'm sure you could easily find a application locker, and just lock up your gmail.

It just makes everything so much easier having a file system. These things are smartphones for a reason.

I find it weird that people find it acceptable not having a file system on their phone coming from Microsoft.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

Matthew Mazzenga

Sep 24, 2011
Visit site
It just makes everything so much easier having a file system. These things are smartphones for a reason.

I find it weird that people find it acceptable not having a file system on their phone coming from Microsoft.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

I don't find it weird at all. As I said, everyone has different uses for their phones. I've had my Focus for almost a year now, and I haven't seen a need for a file system yet. I certainly wouldn't be upset if they added that funcionality, but it isn't something I'm missing.

Of all the uses for a file system I've seen listed in this thread so far, none of them are anything I see a need for (for my own personal usage).

Different strokes and what not...

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
The first thing is: The comparisons to the iPhone are silly. There are a dozen reasons why the iPhone is what it is, and none of them can be recreated. I still believe if you look at the lack of development of the iPhone and iPad over the last 18 months, you can make the argument that Apple may have peaked. That may be more evident if the iPad 3 continues to be pushed back and than is just a slight improvement on the iPad 2. That is for a different thread, and I will happily make that argument and get beat up for it than. :)

As for the Windows Phones improvments, there are some basics, most of which are coming: continued app development, high def screens with better res, LTE, better intergration with Windows PCs. I am taking a more general route: Why is Android so freaking big, and Blackberry shrinking so fast? The answer: Android has so many options, while Blackberry is basically the same phone over and over.

Windows needs diversity. They need to have a set of devices just aimed at buisness. They need these WP's to be tightly intergrated into Word, Excel, Power Point, and all the security that any professional could ask for. They also need gaming centered devices- basically, XBOX's in the palm of your hand. They need a line of Zune music players cleverly disguised as Windows Phones. For those two lines, they better have large storage options if expandable memory isn't an option (most gossip I hear is that it is never going to be. I am have no firm references for that).

More or less, I am worried Windows Phones will try to be a jack of all trades while mastering none, and then only be in a position to fight for third, never first. Microsoft has got all the software experience since software basically began. These are not too large of hurdles here. I think manufacturers would be all in if Microsoft launched this type of attack on the mobile world.

As for me? I am fairly easy. I just want all my screens to work in landscape, and a couple of physical keyboard options in two years. That's all. Is that too much to ask, Microsoft?

Last edited:

InfectedPhreak

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
SMARTphone. Considering I was unzipping on my old nokias 3/4 years ago.....its not as if what I'm asking is a brand new never done before inconceivable feature. If all you want in a phone is a phone then get yourself a ?10 Samsung.

Technoogy is meant to be going forward. You clearly don't understand what a smartphone is all about if you don't understand that to some extent they are here so you can do things on the go that you would usually need a pc for

I understand completely what a smart phone is for, in my perspective. We all have different views on what technology is used for. I have a computer to do computer tasks, I don't need a cell phone to replace and or do jobs that I can easily do on my computer.

These tasks work for some, and don't work for others. It's all opinion, and view/perspective. You have your needs/wants out of a device, and I have mine. Devices are to the public, and have the needs of many people overall not with one or two people in mind. Thus we have things like Androids which are completely open to the user. Average users don't zip/unzip things on their phone, or even think about doing that. So I don't think that's something WP7 needs to "improve" on, or make happen because more then likely there is a very small percentage of people that care for this.

JoeScuba

Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
A couple of things I would like to see Windows Phone improve on:

(Maybe you heard these already)

I would like to be able to attach and send videos to email and/or SMS directly from my phone.

I would like to be able to create/add/assign custom alert tones to things like emails and text messages. (Ringtones are great, and easy to do, but that's just a start)

I would like to like to be able to change/edit names of pictures directly on the phone. (I know, even my camera doesn't do that, but still...)

I'd like a fast way to close open apps.

Other than those things there, and possibly a minor thing or two that I may be missing, I have to say that this is a very solid and easy to use phone with a lot of potential. For a system that's only a year on the market, they're doing rather well with it.

L

lumic

a usb thumb drive won't help me save files to my phone. I would love to (once again ) be able to download a zip file on my phone, unzip and listen to music inside it. Surely the point if a smartphone is to be able to do stuff you can do on a computer bur on your phone
And you store your music in ZIP files why?

A point of a smartphone is not to do everything a computer does. If that is your use for a phone, go buy an Android. With Windows 8, Microsoft is even trying to minimise what a computer does (less micro-management, face it).

InfectedPhreak

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site

A point of a smartphone is not to do everything a computer does. If that is your use for a phone, go buy an Android. With Windows 8, Microsoft is even trying to minimise what a computer does (less micro-management, face it).

Yeah, I run the Windows 8 developer preview and with the Metro UI overlay it definitely minimizes micro-management and stuff. The Xbox dashboard is basically the same way, categorized information for easy access. The WP is doing exactly that, minimizing the clutter to get right to your information.

Mahesha999

Dec 15, 2011
Visit site
Ok Microsoft, you cannot sell windows phone 7.5 OS in India, if you cannot improve on these deficiencies. Let me tell you, I was even not aware of these limitations (since WP7.5 bags so many features I thought these are obvious), but when Indian TV channel showed these limitations I was shocked and quickly googled and remained shocked

A Hindi TV show reviewing Lumia 800 on youtube: #SMARTPHONE: Nokia Lumia 800 REVIEW - Part 2 - YouTube

If MS needs to sell WP to one sixth of the worlds population - the Indians, it should allow media (photo, song, video) transfer over bluetooth and default search engine setting in IE (to set it to Google, Bing is simply unknown here)

Big Supes

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
A UK (instead of US) calender is kinda key, here in the UK. Also, Bing Vision isn't catering for the UK setting very well at all....

M

mkr10001

why don't you read the whole thread and see that I don't store my music in zip files............

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6