The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
    Just my nightmare and a half. Trying to find a HTC Trophy under the radar of $100, and have been so close yet so far. A lot of them are bidding up quick, or have bad ESN. Anyone know of some other sites that might point me in a good direction? I don't want to spend $100~ on a HTC Trophy and then come to find out I really don't like WP7.
    12-24-2011 09:48 PM
    I think eBay is your best bet. There is craiglist. It maybe hard to find one under $100. Good luck to you!
    12-24-2011 09:55 PM
    Just my nightmare and a half. Trying to find a HTC Trophy under the radar of $100, and have been so close yet so far. A lot of them are bidding up quick, or have bad ESN. Anyone know of some other sites that might point me in a good direction? I don't want to spend $100~ on a HTC Trophy and then come to find out I really don't like WP7.
    Even $100 would be something I would hate to spend to find out I don't like. Why not use Verizon's trial and see whether or not you like WP that way?
    Last edited by duvi; 12-24-2011 at 10:53 PM. Reason: removed the word "free"
    12-24-2011 10:33 PM
    Verizons free trial, now do you know much about it? I don't know anything about it. Do I just go to Verizon and ask for a trial device?
    12-24-2011 10:46 PM
    Verizons free trial, now do you know much about it? I don't know anything about it. Do I just go to Verizon and ask for a trial device?
    It's not free, as in no cost, but you can return it and get your money back. Sorry I didn't word it right, was in a rush when I typed my response. You have a 14 day trial period with the device your "purchase".
    12-24-2011 10:52 PM
    I believe you get 15 days to exchange for another device once you sign the contract. You are still bound by the contract and if you decide you want to change devices there are some extra fees involved. That's the way it used to work.

The Trophy is a decent phone as far as the hardware is concerned. Nothing really outstanding about it. Just a no-frills middle of the road device.

The OS is really nice :D
    12-24-2011 10:56 PM
    It's not free, as in no cost, but you can return it and get your money back. Sorry I didn't word it right, was in a rush when I typed my response. You have a 14 day trial period with the device your "purchase".
    Yeah that's my issue, I'm not about to pay $400~ on a phone to test it out. My upgrade is in June which I'll be wasting my upgrade on the next gen devices.

I believe you get 15 days to exchange for another device once you sign the contract. You are still bound by the contract and if you decide you want to change devices there are some extra fees involved. That's the way it used to work.

The Trophy is a decent phone as far as the hardware is concerned. Nothing really outstanding about it. Just a no-frills middle of the road device.

The OS is really nice :D
    For an introduction device, I think it will do for me what I want it to do. I'm already under contract, 2 years with my DInc. So I want to try and find a very low cost Trophy to test out WP7. Hard to find a decent one under $100.
    12-24-2011 11:03 PM
    Just keep looking. People are fickle so more are bound to pop up on ebay.

I think you're on the right track by not burning an upgrade on the trophy, especially since it's the ONLY WP7 phone on VZW for now. And a plain-jane device at that
    12-24-2011 11:18 PM
    Have you tried Craigslist?
    12-24-2011 11:19 PM
    Just keep looking. People are fickle so more are bound to pop up on ebay.

I think you're on the right track by not burning an upgrade on the trophy, especially since it's the ONLY WP7 phone on VZW for now. And a plain-jane device at that

Yeah, I'm going to continue to search... was just hoping there might be some other places then ebay and craigslist. Definitely don't want to spend my upgrade on the Trophy, especially with CES around the corner and Tango coming about.

Have you tried Craigslist?
    I've tried my area and trying to figure out how to like widely search. Found a website "allofcraigslist" or whatever, and found a lot of stuff on there... but still they want like $250 or more. Going through the list still trying to find something cheaper.
    12-24-2011 11:32 PM
    Figured I'd bump this rather than start a new thread. I was lucky enough to find a Trophy for cheap on craigslist. I know craigslist is a dodgy place to buy phones so I figured I'd check the ESN ahead of time. I went to the Verizon website here to check the ESN:

ESN

and it said that the phone can be activated on Verizon, basically a green light that it's good. I took a screenshot and everything just in case. So I went ahead and bought the phone but now Verizon says the ESN is bad. So my question is since their own website said it wasn't bad which influenced my purchase, do you think I have a case to argue with them to make the ESN clean again?

Part two of the question (and I realize this is controversial) is that I have a stack of other Verizon phones I've used in the past. Touch Pro, Touch Pro 2, the 6700, etc. All legally bought and used by myself. I'm thinking of reprogramming the ESN as a plan B because why would it be illegal for devices I already own that I can destroy afterwards? Who gets screwed in that scenario? Because so far it's just me after Verizon's website screw-up. If someone knows how to do this as a backup plan can you PM me assuming that doesn't break any rules?
    aubreyq likes this.
    01-24-2012 01:25 PM
    I used to work for Verizon and I know they are completely inflexible when it comes to phones with "blacklisted" ESNs.
    aubreyq likes this.
    01-24-2012 01:48 PM
    exactly why i wont ever buy electronics on craigslist and i use great caution when buying on ebay... ive been burnt almost everytime, finally after about 5 times i learned my lesson. NEVER BUY PHONES ON CRAIGSLIST, PERIOD. NO MATTER HOW GOOD OF A DEAL IT IS, ISNT WORTH THE RISK. i will say that i just bought one on ebay, but i bought it brand new, without a contract for 200 with free shipping. considering they retqail for over 400, i was happy.
    aubreyq likes this.
    01-24-2012 02:05 PM
    I used to work for Verizon and I know they are completely inflexible when it comes to phones with "blacklisted" ESNs.
    Not even in light of this?

exactly why i wont ever buy electronics on craigslist and i use great caution when buying on ebay... ive been burnt almost everytime, finally after about 5 times i learned my lesson. NEVER BUY PHONES ON CRAIGSLIST, PERIOD. NO MATTER HOW GOOD OF A DEAL IT IS, ISNT WORTH THE RISK. i will say that i just bought one on ebay, but i bought it brand new, without a contract for 200 with free shipping. considering they retqail for over 400, i was happy.
    Yeah I figured I was being smart by checking the ESN ahead of time. I guess I'll pursue the ESN reprogramming or maybe just resell it for AT&T/T-Mobile use.
    aubreyq likes this.
    01-24-2012 02:29 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD