Mango vs. 4G

Android_Al

Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
Convince me to buy an HD7

First, let me apologize for my naivety about WP7...I've had an Android (myTouch 3g) for the past two years, so I'm a little behind the game.

But I decided to get a new phone as an X-Mas gift, and I'm completely on board to switch from Android to WP7. Based on what I've heard, it's like switching from a PC to a Mac.

My carrier is T-Mobile, which limits me right now to the HD7 and the Radar. I HATE the way the Radar looks...white, cheap, smaller screen. I prefer the HD7. But I gotta ask - is there a point in buying a 3G phone when 4G is available?

I've read some about recent Mango updates...if I purchase the HD7 and add Mango updates, would the phone's speed be similar to 4G? I'm trying to find reasons to choose HD7 over Radar. Please help!

Thanks.

Last edited:

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Are you in a 4G area?

Do you use a lot of streaming?

If you depend on fast speeds then yes. If not then it's probably not worth it. If you can wait 2 weeks the Lumia 710 s coming to T-Mobile on January 11th.

Duvi

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
It won't be true 4G, but depending on your area, you may get 4G speeds with the Radar.

In my opinion, 4G does make a difference, especially when uploading pics to FaceBook, Twitter and other social networks. If your upload speed sucks, then it's a moot point.

I would find out if they have "FauxG" in your area.

ljkelley

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
The HD7 is 7.2 mbps. The Radar 4G is 14.4 mbps as is the Nokia Lumia 710.

Lumia 710 is out in Jan as already posted and come with free Nokia Drive (Navigation) and ESPN.

Speed depends on what you are gonna do, ironically watching Netflix say on WiFi would be better on the larger screen of the HD7. But might suffer quality wise on 3G on the HD7 depending on reception.

Android_Al

Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
I live just outside of Boston, and speed is very important to me since my current phone runs like I'm on a damaged AOL broadband connection.

Is there a Hack to improve speed? Amp up the mbps closer to 4G levels? Gotta think someone's figured that out by now.

I've read a lot about the Lumia 710 and it seems like a cheap, half-assed version of the 800, which apparently isn't coming to T Mobile.

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
Maybe it's different here, but my HD7 on Bell in Canada is HSDPA (4G not LTE) which is 14.4 MBPS potential. After the Mango update everything runs faster and smoother, including internet speeds. Boot-up time on the phone went from about 1 ? minutes to just over 20 seconds. The Radar has an upgraded gpu, so it will play graphic-intensive games smoother. Also it is rated for much better battery life than what I experience with my HD7. Also the HD7 has no FFC so if you use Tango it other VoIP services it's a bit awkward without that feature.

Duvi

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
I live just outside of Boston, and speed is very important to me since my current phone runs like I'm on a damaged AOL broadband connection.

Is there a Hack to improve speed? Amp up the mbps closer to 4G levels? Gotta think someone's figured that out by now.

I've read a lot about the Lumia 710 and it seems like a cheap, half-assed version of the 800, which apparently isn't coming to T Mobile.
The same is being said about the Focus S, but I'm glad I made the switch to it from the Titan. It feels perfect in my hand. It's a larger screen than my Focus, but feels almost the same in size (width) and is thinner.

ljkelley

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site

LOL. There is no way to increase the speeds. Its hardware, not software. The chipset only supports 7.2 mbps.

As for the Lumia 710. It has the best CPU out of the bunch and the most chipset features like a built in compass the Radar 4G lacks.

710 has 1.4Ghz processor, while the Radar 4G has 1 Ghz and lacks compass. The HD7 is a 1Ghz older generation processor and older generation graphics.

The only reason I would recommend the HD7 is you must have a larger display or larger built in memory. But even then I would guess we would see a newer large screen WP7 device on T in the first part of 2012.

Duvi

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
LOL. There is no way to increase the speeds. Its hardware, not software. The chipset only supports 7.2 mbps.

As for the Lumia 710. It has the best CPU out of the bunch and the most chipset features like a built in compass the Radar 4G lacks.

710 has 1.4Ghz processor, while the Radar 4G has 1 Ghz and lacks compass. The HD7 is a 1Ghz older generation processor and older generation graphics.

The only reason I would recommend the HD7 is you must have a larger display or larger built in memory. But even then I would guess we would see a newer large screen WP7 device on T in the first part of 2012.
There is... may or may not be possible any more with Mango. I know I was able to change the "class" on my Focus.

I haven't researched much into changing it.

Increase Internet Speed On Samsung Focus (AT&T) [Guide]

Duvi

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
I actually did that on my Focus. It did make quite a difference.

Sent from my HTC Titan using Board Express
As did I. Definitely did as I felt the difference especially when loading pictures, from Twitter and other social networks.

Android_Al

Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
Can changing the class be done on any phone? And if you had to choose between the HD7, Radar or Lumia 710, which would you choose?
Also, this looks interesting. I didn't think TMobile carried the Lumia 800?

"As anticipation for the Lumia 800’s release date grew by the day, Nokia began taking orders via its pre-order site. With Orange, Vodafone, Three, Carphone Warehouse and Phones 4 U all offering the Lumia on monthly contract deals, it wasn’t long before O2 and T-Mobile joined the list of providers and Lumia 800 pre-orders began flooding in."

Nokia Lumia 800 Windows Phone in review | NokNok.tv

Duvi

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
Also, this looks interesting. I didn't think TMobile carried the Lumia 800?

"As anticipation for the Lumia 800’s release date grew by the day, Nokia began taking orders via its pre-order site. With Orange, Vodafone, Three, Carphone Warehouse and Phones 4 U all offering the Lumia on monthly contract deals, it wasn’t long before O2 and T-Mobile joined the list of providers and Lumia 800 pre-orders began flooding in."

Nokia Lumia 800 Windows Phone in review | NokNok.tv
European T-mobile, not USA. T-mobile and Nokia already announced the one coming to T-mobile.... the little brother.

ljkelley

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
Can changing the class be done on any phone? And if you had to choose between the HD7, Radar or Lumia 710, which would you choose?

I'm on T-Mobile USA and will most likely be changing from the HD7 to the Lumia 710. For the faster 4G speeds, newer CPU, better quality screen (the HD7 always was iffy) and Nokia quality (I've had Nokia in the past and they cling to reception).

The only think I will miss is the 16 to 8GB which means I'll have to be more picky with my music (it is all synced now). The screen size won't bother me.

However I'm not making my decision until January after the Nokia press conference for CES to see what Verizon, Sprint, AT&T get and if there are futher T-Mobile phones announced (like the Lumia 900). Of course those phones won't be out till say March.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I'm on T-Mobile USA and will most likely be changing from the HD7 to the Lumia 710. For the faster 4G speeds, newer CPU, better quality screen (the HD7 always was iffy) and Nokia quality (I've had Nokia in the past and they cling to reception).

The only think I will miss is the 16 to 8GB which means I'll have to be more picky with my music (it is all synced now). The screen size won't bother me.

However I'm not making my decision until January after the Nokia press conference for CES to see what Verizon, Sprint, AT&T get and if there are futher T-Mobile phones announced (like the Lumia 900). Of course those phones won't be out till say March.

Have you looked into the HTC Radar? I'm not a fan of the design but I've heard nothing but great things about it.

ljkelley

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
Have you looked into the HTC Radar? I'm not a fan of the design but I've heard nothing but great things about it.

I have looked at it and the Lumia 710 is cheaper for one. Has compass (and I do use nav features on my phone from time to time). And I'm not a huge fan of the looks for the Radar. I will say the FFC is tempting though.

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
My recommendation would be to get the phone you want unlocked and get a SIM from T-Mo. It's not too difficult to switch the enabled bands; I have a friend here in Canada who did it to enable his chosen device (original focus) on the network he works for. The LG Optimus Quantum is the only device offered by his employer.

ljkelley

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
My recommendation would be to get the phone you want unlocked and get a SIM from T-Mo. It's not too difficult to switch the enabled bands; I have a friend here in Canada who did it to enable his chosen device (original focus) on the network he works for. The LG Optimus Quantum is the only device offered by his employer.

Wow, I guess the original Focus is some magical device being both able to switch bands and increase its 3G speeds.

I won't believe it until I see a a Focus on T-Mobile 3G and speed tests of higher than 7.2mbps.

Even if the Focus is the odd ball out, most hackers would love if any device (such as the iPhone) could be hacked to run on T-Mobile 3G but no most devices can not switch their bands or their 3G tech.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786