Anyone actually just enjoying their phone?

220SeaChaser

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
Enjoying mine!

I purchased My Focus for $1 from Best Buy about mid of this year, I was coming from iOS. After researching, going back and forth between WP7 and Android, researching again and beating myself over the head about which platform to switch to, I finally decided to commit to getting a Windows Phone device.

Upon entering Best Buy and telling a rep that I wanted to purchase a Focus, she started to shake her head no and I looked at her with a puzzled expression. After seeing my expression, she stated to me "you don't want that" and I asked, "why not?". She then states something to the effect about it's different and not a lot of people were liking it. I told her I didn't care, I've already done my research on the WP and it's what I want. I told her I hated my iPhone, and she looked at me perplexed, then said "really?"(as if I was supposed to worship it since it's an iPhone). She got my Focus, turned it on, set it on the counter and I was was immediately excited at the home screen. After getting home and setting everything up, I was amazed at how everything was integrated into the os and how silky smooth it was. Since then I haven't looked back and the platform still amazes me.

I just got my wife the LG Thrill 4G w/Android. I've played with it and was unimpressed. It's boring, unstable, I found out not too long ago that it's still running 2.2Froyo (I was told it was 2.3GingerBread) and an update to 2.3 GingerBread is still unknown when to come out, even though Android has even surpassed 2.3 with 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich. Now I see what people are talking about when they say fragmentation on the Android platform. Soooooooooooo glad I didn't get Android.

TheWeeBear

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
welcome.gif

That's a nice happy story.

Welcome along to WPCentral 220SeaChaser. :)

N8ter

Banned
Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Switched from Android, and never looked back, what’s not to like about WP7? The brilliant Metro UI, the amazing Live Tiles, app connect features, the smooth transition effects and the clear fonts and text, oh and the amazing peoples hub ,groups and social network integration, and also the integration with all Microsoft services that I use like Hotmail, Xbox Live, Office, SkyDrive, Zune, (Outlook, SharePoint, Lync, Dynamics CRM and Mobility partner since I work for a Microsoft partner), I am glad I did the switch, no more crashes, no more wasting time looking for a missed call or a contact or a sms or feeds or just anything , just unlock my phone, look at the live tiles for 2 seconds, and I know what’s going on everywhere.

Most android phones have that stuff on the lock screen, and they're definitely in the notification view that takes half a second to pull down. Finding this stuff is infinitely easier in android and iOS than wp7 precisely due to fragmented notifications across disparate tiles and hubs and the lack of a global notification cache. All decent android phones have has equivalent social integration and groups functionality since 2009. Have you ever bothered to look at the contacts app?

View attachment 20033

I'm not sure what your getting at, to be honest.

If you had to look for this stuff, you were definitely doing it wrong. You have to search on wp7 since it forces you to pin tiles. You do not have to search on bb, iOS, or android since those have a notification cache viewable with one gesture or tap.

Triaging notifications on wp7 is infinitely more cumbersome and inferior. There are huge threads on this forum about that very issue.

Live tiles can be replaced by widgets esp. with all newer android phones supporting resizable widgets.

You can pin contacts and shortcuts to call or message them on android. Look:

View attachment 20034

Pinned contacts use the contact photo as the icon with a phone or message sub icon if it's a direct call or message shortcut.

Lol at look at live tiles for two seconds and know what's going on everywhere. Cause scanning live tiles is more efficient than looking at a notification cache that gives real information, like this, right?

View attachment 20035

Sometimes I wonder if the people bashing other platforms have ever used them...

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Etyrnus

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
I've had both an HTC Surround, which i've given to my mom (who is loving it!) and now have the Samsung Focus Flash. I was interested in WP7 before it came out, and once I got the chance to get a phone I've loved it. Then the imrpovements that came with mango made it even better.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Most android phones have that stuff on the lock screen, and they're definitely in the notification view that takes half a second to pull down. Finding this stuff is infinitely easier in android and iOS than wp7 precisely due to fragmented notifications across disparate tiles and hubs and the lack of a global notification cache. All decent android phones have has equivalent social integration and groups functionality since 2009. Have you ever bothered to look at the contacts app?

View attachment 20033

If you had to look for this stuff, you were definitely doing it wrong. You have to search on wp7 since it forces you to pin tiles. You do not have to search on bb, iOS, or android since those have a notification cache viewable with one gesture or tap.

Triaging notifications on wp7 is infinitely more cumbersome and inferior. There are huge threads on this forum about that very issue.

Live tiles can be replaced by widgets esp. with all newer android phones supporting resizable widgets.

View attachment 20034

Pinned contacts use the contact photo as the icon with a phone or message sub icon if it's a direct call or message shortcut.

Lol at look at live tiles for two seconds and know what's going on everywhere. Cause scanning live tiles is more efficient than looking at a notification cache that gives real information, like this, right?

View attachment 20035

Guess we couldnt go even one WP7 thread without an anti-WP7 lecture from you. :dry One thing is obvious, even though you managed to wreck the Xda WP7 general forum you wont have the same success here. Couldnt even bear one thread where people say they enjoy their WP7 devices without trying to claim android is better, could you?

Big Supes

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
Resizeable widgets as a workaround for live tiles? Wow, that's a lot of widgets... welcome to the bogged down, laggy world of Android. And, yes, you can add a contact as a shortcut, but you'll have access the icon to be given updates. Android has workarounds, and it may even pull off IOS's unique feel every now 'n then, but it doesn't have an answer to the WP experience. IMO, Android is a tool for people who like to fiddle... a lot. It lacks authenticity, like a knock off suit that's always chafing and need adjusting/modifying.

Last edited:

220SeaChaser

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site

View attachment 20033

View attachment 20034

View attachment 20035

Sooooooooooooo I can unlock then pull down a notifications menu or I can unlock then scroll my home screen which takes me the same amount of time. Yes. I've tryed both since I have a WP and my wife has Android. To be honest, I've tried to open the notifications tray on the Android and it's taken me a couple of tries since it's so small. How can you say finding stuff is easier on iOS when the notifications are spread out through multiple pages of apps? Yeah maybe there's an "app for that", but you still have to find the app and wait for it to open up. Yes I've had IOS too.

Oh, and the pic of the notifications tray with the message from yourself saying "Real Information". Very genuine....... I can send "Real Information" to myself also.

This is all good and funny coming from someone using and iPod touch to talk Android up and bash on WP.

Look, I respect all three platforms, but nobody here was outright trashing Android. We are discussing what we like about our devices running WP and what we like about it over the other platforms. Our opinions for crying out loud! It doesn't matter whether this is easier to get to or this is faster to view. It's what we like that works for us. What's cumbersome for some, might be faster for others. Heck, Android and IOS is cumbersome for me, but WP is very fluid and easy to me.

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
Sooooooooooooo I can unlock then pull down a notifications menu or I can unlock then scroll my home screen which takes me the same amount of time. Yes. I've tryed both since I have a WP and my wife has Android. To be honest, I've tried to open the notifications tray on the Android and it's taken me a couple of tries since it's so small. How can you say finding stuff is easier on iOS when the notifications are spread out through multiple pages of apps? Yeah maybe there's an "app for that", but you still have to find the app and wait for it to open up. Yes I've had IOS too.

Oh, and the pic of the notifications tray with the message from yourself saying "Real Information". Very genuine....... I can send "Real Information" to myself also.

This is all good and funny coming from someone using and iPod touch to talk Android up and bash on WP.

Look, I respect all three platforms, but nobody here was outright trashing Android. We are discussing what we like about our devices running WP and what we like about it over the other platforms. Our opinions for crying out loud! It doesn't matter whether this is easier to get to or this is faster to view. It's what we like that works for us. What's cumbersome for some, might be faster for others. Heck, Android and IOS is cumbersome for me, but WP is very fluid and easy to me.

Welcome to WPC SeaChaser220! I too believe the Truth Conquers!

roffleswaffles

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
I absolutely enjoy my Windows Phone.

It does all that I need it to do, and more. I really can't say the same about the iPhone and Android-- I've used them both at some point and always found their interfaces to be clunky, not very intuitive, and in some cases, bizarre at how they handled certain features. The WP7.5 is an excellent phone because of the Metro UI (I LOVE IT) and just how simple it is to get around the phone and do what you need to do. I really like the fact that they thought about how they would design the UI so that someone walking down the stairs would be able to look at where they were going while being able to do things on the phone-- that concept really shines through in the phone.

I mean, I don't really know what to praise about the WP7.5 other than the fact that for the things I need a phone to do, I just like using the WP7.5 over the iPhone and Android. I don't really care about all the tech specs and BS; I won't be sitting around everyday with my phone being like, "Why isn't this screen at a better resolution?!", and frankly, I have never been concerned with such "issues" (if they're even really issues) since getting my phone or reading up on Mango.

Certainly, there are gripes with the lack of apps, but I think that will just resolve itself with time. The WP7.5 is a solid phone and I think once people give it a chance, it will surpass the Android and perhaps get enough of a competitive share of the market to compete with the iPhone.

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
I just got my wife the LG Thrill 4G w/Android. I've played with it and was unimpressed. It's boring, unstable, I found out not too long ago that it's still running 2.2Froyo (I was told it was 2.3GingerBread) and an update to 2.3 GingerBread is still unknown when to come out, even though Android has even surpassed 2.3 with 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich. Now I see what people are talking about when they say fragmentation on the Android platform. Soooooooooooo glad I didn't get Android.

My sister-in-law went from the iphone 4 to the LG Thrill. I played with it and I told here she wouldn't like it because it was slow and laggy. A month later she got rid of it for a samsung galaxy S2. Couldn't get her to get a WP because she wanted something that did screen shots.

I agree with N8er about the notifications on android. That's one area where android is ahead of WP. In spite of that I doubt I ever get another android phone.

N8ter

Banned
Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Guess we couldnt go even one WP7 thread without an anti-WP7 lecture from you. :dry One thing is obvious, even though you managed to wreck the Xda WP7 general forum you wont have the same success here. Couldnt even bear one thread where people say they enjoy their WP7 devices without trying to claim android is better, could you?

Why do people insist on spreading fud and misinformation about other platforms. I didn't wreck XDA general forums. I stopped posting there for months a while back and those people were still crying about every perceived anti wp7 post on the forums. A lot of people juat atopped going there altogether. Some people are just very sensitive.

I have always been harsh on all the platforms I used. If you feel wp7 is singled out then you're mistaken. I'm harsh on android and blackberry as well. Use the search function on XDA to clearly see that.

I've had a wp7 device twice as long as half the crybabies in XDA. They don't phase me, none of this stuff does really. Half of them waited Til mango launched and then looked at the rest of us puzzled wondering what the problem was. Well congrats on your free phone a year later. You dodged a bullet (not you specifically)...

I think if someone is to choose platforms they should do it based on all it's merits - positive and negative. Choosing a platform is almost always a comparative decision. Raving about stuff like social integration and services whilst almost implying the other platform doesn't have it is disingenuous to uninformed potential users.

The only difference is I choose a different point of view cause it's not worth it for me to repeat what a hoard of fans have already stated in every thread. This is the nature of online discussion forums.

Now, it's cool that I can make one post in a day on XDA bow and receive multiple infractions, lol. I think it's cause when the mods message me I delete them without reading now.

Last edited:

N8ter

Banned
Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Resizeable widgets as a workaround for live tiles? Wow, that's a lot of widgets... welcome to the bogged down, laggy world of Android. And, yes, you can add a contact as a shortcut, but you'll have access the icon to be given updates. Android has workarounds, and it may even pull off IOS's unique feel every now 'n then, but it doesn't have an answer to the WP experience. IMO, Android is a tool for people who like to fiddle... a lot. It lacks authenticity, like a knock off suit that's always chafing and need adjusting/modifying.

The widgets aren't really even needed so they aren't a workaround. Android has a decent notification system. Wp7 does not. I barely use any widgets on my android device. Only one I'm using at the moment is calendar and vlingo control bar actually.

Literally all the apps I use regularly have perfect push notifications and configurable background updates.

I'll leave this thread so that it can get back on track. Pm any replies.

RiesenWachter

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
Radar 4G + Bose headset = pure bliss. Only five days in, and absolutely LOVING my phone and the WP7 platform. Traded up from a Samsung Behold II, which is probably the worst Android phone on the market, and am sooooo glad I did! :D

blehblehbleh

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
First, to the original topic. I absolutely enjoy just using my phone; it's exactly the reason why I chose the OS. I lean towards things that are functional and not overly frivolous. I kept seeing how everyone was customizing their phones and apps, for me at least, only are good once they fit the purpose for what you need to do on the go. Constantly buying new apps, especially when iPhone debuted and you had every jerk with a farting app...yeah kind of frivolous and pointless.

Off topic: I've noticed this N8ter guy likes to bring up a lot of irrelevant issues with regard to the context of the discussion, or rather issues that he believes are relevant that no one else really gives a crap about. Why he thinks it's his "duty" to inform us about what other platforms are doing I have no idea. Plus, I noticed he likes to talk about the stuff he likes in other platforms; again something I think no one really cares about in the context and relevance of this thread.

Anyways, back on topic.

alaskanjackson

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
I have lived with a BB for the past three years and have a Mac and a HP and apple mp3 devices. I decided to test (buy) an HTC Titan last month. Within a day or so my wife and oldest son were pestering me for something similar. I ended up buying ($.01 each) two more titans. My experience is that it just works. It's easy on my old eyes and is fast. The integration with xbl, fb, hm, gm and my work email is seamless. I have not had issues with the phone locking or software gliches some have mentioned. I would say the phone is slippery and I am having some anxiety about my first drop "test". I digress for a moment, we did some side by side comparisons with my nephews new IP4s (we both have ATT as a carrier, same network). The titan was as fast or faster as the Iphone. We tried out voice searches and the Titan was more accurate and faster. This is by no means scientific, however the look on his face was priceless. He paid north of $400 for his phone, ouch.

Alaskanjackson

Last edited:

Hart56

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Just got a Trophy and love it. I had an android charge, couldn't make it through a day on a charge. The battery life with mango is awesome. I just hope Verizon starts getting some cool windows phones.

The Liaison

Nov 4, 2009
Visit site
This WP7 device is the best thing I've ever used. It's quick - the Facebook integration is superb. The twitter app is great. It downloads & installs with hang-ups. Some apps lag but that's better than the entire OS lagging(BBOS). This phone is so smooth - I left BB because I was tired of a device and I wanted an experience and now, I have that experience. The Zune software allows seamless syncing. IE on the devices is connected through Windows Live so my Facebook credentials aren't forgotten. I am enjoying this device sooo much. Where was WP7 when I bought my 9800??? lol

based_graham

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
Nothing to complain its great it gets everything that I need done and the fact that its almost a new experience everyday is amazing. New Nokia ESPN app coming this week, Skype on its way (hopefully), Tango release, Apollo release damn good things to come. Its a fresh new platform I like that it reminds me of the good old iphone 1 days consitantly refreshing the forums waiting for an unlock.

N8ter

Banned
Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
First, to the original topic. I absolutely enjoy just using my phone; it's exactly the reason why I chose the OS. I lean towards things that are functional and not overly frivolous. I kept seeing how everyone was customizing their phones and apps, for me at least, only are good once they fit the purpose for what you need to do on the go. Constantly buying new apps, especially when iPhone debuted and you had every jerk with a farting app...yeah kind of frivolous and pointless.

Off topic: I've noticed this N8ter guy likes to bring up a lot of irrelevant issues with regard to the context of the discussion, or rather issues that he believes are relevant that no one else really gives a crap about. Why he thinks it's his "duty" to inform us about what other platforms are doing I have no idea. Plus, I noticed he likes to talk about the stuff he likes in other platforms; again something I think no one really cares about in the context and relevance of this thread.

Anyways, back on topic.

Le sigh

My post was a point for point response to someone else's post, so I'm just assuming you're trying to troll me and move on.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss