Anyone actually just enjoying their phone?

mhans311

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
I will preface this by saying that I have used android for 2 years and I really like it. I am only on my 3rd day with my trophy but I can say that I am really liking wp7 so far.

I liked android because of the vast array of apps, true multitasking (I hate that I can't listen to slacker while doing other things on the phone), and the free turn by turn navigation.

I like wp7 so far because of the smoothness of the interface, the ease of use, and the music player. It just seems to work smoothly and easily. I always rooted and romed my phones to try to make them run better, but that doesn't seem to be necessary on WP.

The biggest challenge for me with wp7 is the lack of apps right now. I know tye app store is growing and will become more robust, but right now it is relatively small.

I am sure I will find many more positives about WP as I get more familiar with it as well as maybe a couple of negatives.

For now, I am completely loving my Trophy and I am not looking to go back to android anytime soon.

Sent from my mwp6985 using Board Express

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
I'm definitely not impressed by android. I know WP isn't perfect, but it works pretty well. My motorola droid doesn't have the facebook integration that my WP has and it's not nearly as smooth. Maybe HTC sense or motoblur or touchwhiz incorporates facebook integration, but I'd rather skip those horrid skins. I think android is going in the right direction with android 4.0, but a quick scan through some android forums will reveal that the galaxy nexus is having a lot of problems, maybe more than the titan, and the nexus isn't the only android phone having similar issues. I love my rock solid and extremely smooth trophy!

tmotytn

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
So saying you enjoy using WP7 is sugar coating flaws? And why is it whenever someone expresses that they like WP7 they are denying the truth, this truth being that other OS's are better? Is it not conceivable that WP7 has its own merits that an individual could enjoy despite its flaws, flaws which also exist in every other mobile OS as well?

This really is the problem, whenever anyone dares to say anything positive about WP7 this poster jumps in and starts to detail how whatever feature WP7 has is already on android, is better on android, faster on android, etc so we could not possibly enjoy using that feature on WP7 so we are "biased" and not seeing the "truth". Android according to him has no flaws (well he hasn't mentioned any so far), is just so much better than WP7 and we are all sharing a mass hallucination and are lying when we say we like WP7 and he of course is the only one who can save us and show us the folly of our ways.

Sorry, I enjoy WP7 even though its not perfect, and that was the purpose of this thread, that even with the flaws, predictions of doom and gloom whether you still actually just enjoyed using the OS, and no mention was made of android in my original question. Going to extreme lengths to preach the virtues of android seems a bit out of place in this discussion.

Well said!

WP is not perfect, but I am totally enjoying my Focus S.

I enjoyed my Titan before I returned it. It was returned for a specific reason, not WP or OS related.

I enjoyed my Focus before I got the Titan.

I think part of the enjoyment for me is there not being the constant need to hack the phone. When I carried an Android device, any of them, I constantly felt like I needed to be on XDA or Modoco every few hours to see what new hack had just been found, exploited, or created...and I will admit to buying phones based on their hackability, or buying phones with the intention of doing nothing with them other than hacking them.

Sure, there are some things that I wish my WP did that I could do on the iPhone or Android. I wish there was a Chase Bank app for WP. But, once upon a time, I remember saying "I wish there was a Chase Bank app for Android."

I have been in sales for 20+ years, read LOTS of books on how to sell more, better, faster, easier, etc., taken a few courses on advanced selling techniques, helped train new people how to get over their fears, yada yada yada... one of the things we learn or teach in the profession is that when we find out someone is using your competition's product or service, even though your product is superior in every way, it is very important to

NEVER MAKE SOMEONE FEEL AS THOUGH THEY HAVE MADE A BAD CHOICE

If you do that, 2 things will happen: 1--the person or customer will automatically get defensive about their decision, and 2--you come off looking like a pompous, know-it-all a$$, and your credibility is immediately in the crapper.

Even though WP has a ways to go, it is okay to enjoy the experience...h ell, I bet if their Treos are still powering on, some folks are still enjoying PalmOS ...

*okay, rant mode off :)

kinslayer

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
One of the things we learn or teach in the profession is that when we find out someone is using your competition's product or service, even though your product is superior in every way, it is very important to

NEVER MAKE SOMEONE FEEL AS THOUGH THEY HAVE MADE A BAD CHOICE

If you do that, 2 things will happen: 1--the person or customer will automatically get defensive about their decision, and 2--you come off looking like a pompous, know-it-all a$$, and your credibility is immediately in the crapper.

Thank you VERY much for that. It makes so much sense it's shocking how I never realized it before. You have just taught me a great lesson! Thanks again.

blehblehbleh

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
I'm going to preface this post with apologies to all the others. This is going to me my last post on this off topic matter. So, sorry people.

I didn't trash him.

We definitely can disagree on that, but from my view while you didn't do it explicitly you definitely did it implicitly. You did it by showing him all these examples of how he was "wrong" and then ending your post with the connotation of "Geez, are people so dumb as to not even know how their phone works?"

That's exactly what you did.

The issue is that people make statements with the assumption that it's an exclusive feature when its not. They talk about live tiles as if widgets can't do the dame thing. They talk about social integration like android didn't have it for years before the platform launched. Etc.

And you're making an assumption that they think that. How do you know that guy doesn't know the difference or similarity between a widget and a live tile? Maybe he was saying, "Oh wow live tiles are great!" in the sense of, "Hey I like the way MS streamlined the aggregation of data with their live tiles." You have no clue. Instead you do what the cliche developer does and stereotype him as one of the idiotic masses that doesn't know any better.

In fact, this guy could be much smarter than you but he just doesn't care much about it as you do because he's got way more important things to think about than how a mobile OS can be the best in the galaxy.

I want to be able to walk while having Navigation in the background and still be able to hold an SMS/IM conversation. I think many people would like that. I want to be able to MMS or EMail Video off the device without sending a SkyDrive Link or uploading to YouTube or Facebook. In the end I'd like at least the possibility of being able to use the WP7 device as my one and only device. At the moment that's simply not possible because the OS lacks basic functionality you'd expect even in feature phones in some cases.

I'm highlighting this because it's kind of clear what camp you sit in. Those features are all nice, but the thing is I, and maybe others, can definitely stand to wait and make do with workarounds. Either you can't or unwilling to.

If that's the case, maybe you should just stick with the Android camp or whatever you find more elegant rather than coming here and speaking about as if you know the "absolute truth" on mobile OSes just because you happen to have enough disposable income to own every device out there.

It's also seems like you're searching for some dream device. How about instead of spending your time "correcting" people, you go take that disposable income and manufacture your own hardware parts, build a custom rom, and make your own dream phone for yourself and the rest us.

OR find the people with the same passion as you and connect with them to build a stronger movement in making WP7 better, if it means that much to you. Make a new thread and title it appropriately, or join in on the wish list thread.

I kind of doubt you will though.

No one said WP7 was terrible or bad, and if I thought such I'd have returned this device, cause I have enough of them already...

Then quit griping about it then. I get maybe you want that dream WP device so bad that you can cream your pants over it, but it doesn't really come off as that when you keep harping on negatives instead of elevating whatever positives you like or rallying people to go to the uservoice website or whatever. It just comes off that you just like to b!tch.

In which case, maybe this OS isn't for you and you should just drop it and spare us all your "wisdom."

roffleswaffles

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
:D Na, it's just a concept that was discovered in one of Microsoft's labs. . .

. . . A concept I need in my life! :)
:p Me too~

On the other topic, I don't get why you guys feel you have to defend yourselves against the "troll" or whatever you want to call him. WP7.5 is good (even great) in its own right, and I think that will shine through as time passes and we get more updates on Tango or Apollo (whatever the next update is).

I don't think I need to prove WP7.5 to anyone; I really just enjoy the phone! :lol:

koolkid09

May 28, 2011
Visit site
So saying you enjoy using WP7 is sugar coating flaws? And why is it whenever someone expresses that they like WP7 they are denying the truth, this truth being that other OS's are better? Is it not conceivable that WP7 has its own merits that an individual could enjoy despite its flaws, flaws which also exist in every other mobile OS as well?

This really is the problem, whenever anyone dares to say anything positive about WP7 this poster jumps in and starts to detail how whatever feature WP7 has is already on android, is better on android, faster on android, etc so we could not possibly enjoy using that feature on WP7 so we are "biased" and not seeing the "truth". Android according to him has no flaws (well he hasn't mentioned any so far), is just so much better than WP7 and we are all sharing a mass hallucination and are lying when we say we like WP7 and he of course is the only one who can save us and show us the folly of our ways.

Sorry, I enjoy WP7 even though its not perfect, and that was the purpose of this thread, that even with the flaws, predictions of doom and gloom whether you still actually just enjoyed using the OS, and no mention was made of android in my original question. Going to extreme lengths to preach the virtues of android seems a bit out of place in this discussion.

Dude, you just completely twisted up everything. I'm sure he critiques iOS and Android just like he does WP7. He has said some positive things about WP7 and some negative things. The thing is you all just pick out the negatives and that how new topics get started and everything gets off topic.

Jun 14, 2014
Visit site
Its the time of gnashing of teeth and cries of woe it seems, when it comes to WP7. I agree things (sales) could be better but all the doom and gloom is a bit much, dont you think? Of course our resident haters (like our recent addition from Xda) are using this opportunity to "discuss" WP7 but frankly for me, nothing has changed. Still enjoy using my phone, its still stable, fast, virus free, and still just works. Seems like all of a sudden there is a dedicated campaign to kill WP7.

So is anyone else just enjoying their phone amid all the disaster stories and crystal ball predictions of the demise of WP7?

Edit: have to add this cos the usual attempt is being made to downplay the features WP7, pls don't let the obvious troll derail this thread, just ignore him and post your response to the original question, hopefully he'll get tired and go back under his bridge. Tnx! :)

In short NO. I bought Lumia 1020 JUST for the camera. I am Android & I've used custom ROMs and Kernels for years. WP8 isn't tested before release and where are the Nokia STOCK ROMS ?? but so far unable to get a stable 2G connection, cannot send SMS, cannot change the W8 ID phone number for my new SIM, and Contacts\People makes me weep - synchronisation has wasted months of my life; i don't do it. And this is just week 2. Another 3 weeks of this and its back to Cyanogen Mod & Kit Kat....plus a visit to eBay.

ianberg

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
My Lumia 710 running WP 7.8 I'd stable, fast, virus free and the uncovered phone's screen and removable back is still like new, without a protective cover. Its been my sole daily driver since June 2012. By today's standards its not thin, the 3.99 inch screen is too small and app support is limited but otherwise yes, I'm still enjoying this phone. It cost only $130 outright.

Sent from my Lumia 710 using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa