Which 8gb or 16gb microsd card to buy?

decheung

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Hey folks,

I'm looking to buy a 8gb or 16gb microsd card. I prefer stability over crazy amounts of memory.

I saw this site's store links to this SanDisk 16GB card @ $40.

But when I go to newegg, where it is only $25, it says that it is a Class 2 card. Is that correct? Is that fast enough?

Thanks.

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
For what device are you getting it? I have asamsung focus rev 1.3 I bought a class 4 san disk 32gb card but havent tried installing it. Its the card thats mentioned as the best in the thread over in the focus forum site. Got it bon ebay for jsut under $50.00 I think including shipping.

decheung

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
I have a Samsung Focus 1.3.

I'm looking for an 8GB or 16GB because I don't want to spend a whole lot. I'm looking to spend $20 at most.

decheung

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the list. Are these guaranteed/certified by anyone to work with the Focus? I hear so many horror stories of weird problems with performance after installing SD cards.

I travel a lot so my Focus really needs to be reliable more than anything else.

Thanks!

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I'd stay away from higher class cards.

Class rating refers to how fast you could read and write sequential data on a card. Like for taking a lot of quick photographs. Or for video.

WP will be accessing data randomly, not sequentially. So the class rating means nothing to WP. Well, except that a card that has been optimized for sequential data read/write might not be very good for random read/write. So a higher class rating could be detrimental.

The only card I've heard of being officially supported (according to the Focus user manual) is the 8 GB SanDisk Class 2 card.

Right now, there is no consumer rating system that rates cards on the speed of random read/write. So there are no commercial products available where you could definitely know it will work.

OEMs have their own ways of measuring this for the SD cards that they may use internally. But those obviously haven't made their way to the consumer.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs