Voicemail indicator

enahs555

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
Also, the voice mail button on the bottom menu when you go into phone while change, it will have a little number with it indicating how many voice mail messages you have.

And you have the indicator on the lock screen as well.

When you go to phone and then call settings, is the voice mail number setup correct? Is their a different one you can try?

Speebs

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
Also, the voice mail button on the bottom menu when you go into phone while change, it will have a little number with it indicating how many voice mail messages you have.

And you have the indicator on the lock screen as well.

When you go to phone and then call settings, is the voice mail number setup correct? Is their a different one you can try?

Everything was working fine on the phone until maybe 1-2 weeks ago. It is set up correctly. I'm going to have VZW re-activate my old phone (pre plus) and see if it gets VM notifications. If it does, something is wrong with my Trophy, but if not, it's the network. Of course, the VZW "tech support" person I talked to just wanted me to exchange the phone, and I had to suggest this super-obvious troubleshooting step to her.

jmunchies1

Mar 23, 2012
Visit site
Everything was working fine on the phone until maybe 1-2 weeks ago. It is set up correctly. I'm going to have VZW re-activate my old phone (pre plus) and see if it gets VM notifications. If it does, something is wrong with my Trophy, but if not, it's the network. Of course, the VZW "tech support" person I talked to just wanted me to exchange the phone, and I had to suggest this super-obvious troubleshooting step to her.

Sorry to bump an old thread but did you ever get this resolved? I too have a Trophy and I'm not getting the voicemail indicator with or without the indicator turned on in my voicemail settings/options.

Speebs

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
Sorry to bump an old thread but did you ever get this resolved? I too have a Trophy and I'm not getting the voicemail indicator with or without the indicator turned on in my voicemail settings/options.

I should have followed up on this. It is still not working. Verizon sent me a replacement phone that had 7720 on it, and upon activation the voicemail indicator started working immediately. As soon as I updated to 8107 and applied the HTC-provided radio update, it stopped working and never did again (this was maybe a month ago). I am convinced that some combination of the radio update and my account are to blame, but Verizon completely deleted and recreated my voicemail account and it still doesn't work. When the account is activated on another device (like my Pre or a test device at Verizon) it works fine with no adjustment.

I'm about to see if I can revert to 7720 to get it working again (which would suck). but I really think that the radio firmware update that HTC provided, which there is no way to revert to a previous version, is the culprit. I'll let you know if I'm able to do that.

What build of Mango and radio firmware are you running?

Speebs

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
I should have followed up on this. It is still not working. Verizon sent me a replacement phone that had 7720 on it, and upon activation the voicemail indicator started working immediately. As soon as I updated to 8107 and applied the HTC-provided radio update, it stopped working and never did again (this was maybe a month ago). I am convinced that some combination of the radio update and my account are to blame, but Verizon completely deleted and recreated my voicemail account and it still doesn't work. When the account is activated on another device (like my Pre or a test device at Verizon) it works fine with no adjustment.

I'm about to see if I can revert to 7720 to get it working again (which would suck). but I really think that the radio firmware update that HTC provided, which there is no way to revert to a previous version, is the culprit. I'll let you know if I'm able to do that.

What build of Mango and radio firmware are you running?

I forgot that I had tried this already. Reverting to 7720 didn't change anything (voicemail indicator still doesn't appear) and the radio firmware did not revert along with the OS version. Bummer.

jmunchies1

Mar 23, 2012
Visit site
I'm fairly certain it is the HTC radio update. I bought a used Trophy off of Ebay that came with 7720 and no HTC update. I played with it for about a day before installing the HTC update and I'm pretty sure the voicemail indicator worked fine for that day. I installed the HTC update and after that, it stopped working. I waited about 4 days before manually installing the 8107 update so I don't think that had anything to do with it because the indicator was gone before that.

Is there anyway to downgrade radios to specifically? I am not unlocked yet, waiting for the DFT SparkW rom to drop.

Speebs

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
I'm fairly certain it is the HTC radio update. I bought a used Trophy off of Ebay that came with 7720 and no HTC update. I played with it for about a day before installing the HTC update and I'm pretty sure the voicemail indicator worked fine for that day. I installed the HTC update and after that, it stopped working. I waited about 4 days before manually installing the 8107 update so I don't think that had anything to do with it because the indicator was gone before that.

Is there anyway to downgrade radios to specifically? I am not unlocked yet, waiting for the DFT SparkW rom to drop.
No way that I know of. Verizon keeps sending me replacement phones and as soon as I upgrade the radio, the indicator stops working. i don't think there's any way to get past 7720 without updating the radio, either. They will let me change to a different model phone, but of course that means an android or iPhone, neither of which I am interested in.

This sucks, but I'm glad I'm not the only person experiencing this. Have you called Verizon?

jmunchies1

Mar 23, 2012
Visit site
There are two indicators. You'll have one on your lock screen and the other one is the phone tile. its a tape icon o_o looking thing.

For Radios go here
[RADIO SPARK_W] SparkW Radio Collection (Verizon Trophy CDMA) - xda-developers

Yeah both those indicators stopped working. No tape image and nothing on the lockscreen. Verified I have MWI turned on in my voicemail settings. I'll take a look at the radios and see if I can downgrade but I haven't unlocked yet.

Thanks

Speebs

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
There are two indicators. You'll have one on your lock screen and the other one is the phone tile. its a tape icon o_o looking thing.

For Radios go here
[RADIO SPARK_W] SparkW Radio Collection (Verizon Trophy CDMA) - xda-developers

Neither indicator works (I think there's also supposed to be one on the voicemail icon within the phone application).

This radio link is great... I should be getting my replacement Trophy today, so I have no fear of breaking my current one by messing with the radio firmware :)

Speebs

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
So, to follow up...

I got a replacement Trophy yesterday, and it came with 7720 and the radio update already installed... and the VM indcator worked! So, since I had a working and up-to-date (as far as Verizon is concerned) phone, I felt less scared messing with my old phone. While I didn't brick it or anything, my test results are inconclusive and now I'm really confused:

To start my old phone started with build 8107 and the radio update installed, and the MWI (message waiting indicator) did NOT work.

1. I thought I needed to downgrade my boot loader, so I installed a pre-mango ROM from this thread ([ROM]Spark Shipped ROM Collection - xda-developers). This also downgraded the radio to a much lower version. As soon as I did this, the MWI started working again. This was encouraging and is 100% repeatable. Reverting to this version fixed the MWI issue.

2. Let Zune upgrade everything to its current version (build 7720 with the radio update). The MWI stopped working.

3. Revert back to the pre-mango build to get it working again, then try manually updating with a 2.01 ROM of build 7720 that does NOT contain the radio update. Theoretically this is how the phone was shipped to me, but the MWI no longer works!! I can't figure out why, unless something is wrong with the ROM, which I doubt very much. I tried this about 4 times to make sure I was doing everything right, and it still didn't work. I'm baffled.

I have a couple more days before I have to return this phone to Verizon, so I'll play around this weekend if I can. I recommend downloading the "1.03" ROM and flashing to that, see if it fixes your problem, and if it does, try the 2.01 ROM without the radio update, the one WITH the update, or maybe updating through Zune.

jmunchies1

Mar 23, 2012
Visit site
So, to follow up...

I got a replacement Trophy yesterday, and it came with 7720 and the radio update already installed... and the VM indcator worked! So, since I had a working and up-to-date (as far as Verizon is concerned) phone, I felt less scared messing with my old phone. While I didn't brick it or anything, my test results are inconclusive and now I'm really confused:

To start my old phone started with build 8107 and the radio update installed, and the MWI (message waiting indicator) did NOT work.

1. I thought I needed to downgrade my boot loader, so I installed a pre-mango ROM from this thread ([ROM]Spark Shipped ROM Collection - xda-developers). This also downgraded the radio to a much lower version. As soon as I did this, the MWI started working again. This was encouraging and is 100% repeatable. Reverting to this version fixed the MWI issue.

2. Let Zune upgrade everything to its current version (build 7720 with the radio update). The MWI stopped working.

3. Revert back to the pre-mango build to get it working again, then try manually updating with a 2.01 ROM of build 7720 that does NOT contain the radio update. Theoretically this is how the phone was shipped to me, but the MWI no longer works!! I can't figure out why, unless something is wrong with the ROM, which I doubt very much. I tried this about 4 times to make sure I was doing everything right, and it still didn't work. I'm baffled.

I have a couple more days before I have to return this phone to Verizon, so I'll play around this weekend if I can. I recommend downloading the "1.03" ROM and flashing to that, see if it fixes your problem, and if it does, try the 2.01 ROM without the radio update, the one WITH the update, or maybe updating through Zune.

That does seem very weird. I haven't had time to try just downgrading radios yet. Maybe it does have to do with some sort of provisioning on our accounts, I dunno. I don't know why the replacement one works with 7720 and the radio update, that's strange.

Speebs

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
That does seem very weird. I haven't had time to try just downgrading radios yet. Maybe it does have to do with some sort of provisioning on our accounts, I dunno. I don't know why the replacement one works with 7720 and the radio update, that's strange.

Yeah, really odd. I'll reply back if I figure anything else out this weekend.

arcana1973

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, really odd. I'll reply back if I figure anything else out this weekend.
Hey if you find out anything please post. I have been having the same issue with my Trophy. So far they have sent me a replacement phone as well and offered to provide me with a different phone (android or iphone) too. I am almost at the point where I want to re read the contract and see if there is a way out of it so I can switch to AT&T and get the Lumia phone.

Speebs

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
Hey if you find out anything please post. I have been having the same issue with my Trophy. So far they have sent me a replacement phone as well and offered to provide me with a different phone (android or iphone) too. I am almost at the point where I want to re read the contract and see if there is a way out of it so I can switch to AT&T and get the Lumia phone.

Am I understanding correctly that you're having the same issue with the replacement phone, too? They've offered to "change to a different model" (android/iphone) to me too, but I kept declining. It's kind of infuriating that they don't even want to address the problem.

I think if the phone doesn't work as intended, that is grounds for letting you out of your contract without paying the ETF.

psiu_glen

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
Dang, sorry to hear guys. Both my used one from last summer (NoDo, pre-Mango release version, eventually all the way to 8107 and radio update) and my current phone(Nodo, official updates to Mango and radio, and now to 8107) have the voicemail indicator work fine. So there must be something besides those versions that is doing that you would think...

arcana1973

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Am I understanding correctly that you're having the same issue with the replacement phone, too? They've offered to "change to a different model" (android/iphone) to me too, but I kept declining. It's kind of infuriating that they don't even want to address the problem.

I think if the phone doesn't work as intended, that is grounds for letting you out of your contract without paying the ETF.
After going through another replacement and calling tech support I was able to get this issue fixed. Apparently there is a new software update that Verizon hasn't pushed out that will fix the phone but the tech person who helped me basically reset everything on the network and made me start from scratch. So far it seems to be fine, but only time will tell.

Speebs

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
After going through another replacement and calling tech support I was able to get this issue fixed. Apparently there is a new software update that Verizon hasn't pushed out that will fix the phone but the tech person who helped me basically reset everything on the network and made me start from scratch. So far it seems to be fine, but only time will tell.

Can you post the versions of everything under settings/about/more info?

And sorry... I meant to follow up on this thread. I couldn't get anywhere with my testing. The new phone works for no apparent reason, and I couldn't get the old one working with Mango and the radio update (any version).

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99