Voicemail indicator

Speebs

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
Is there really no voicemail indicator at all in Mango? All I get is a number on the phone tile, which just means that I missed a call (not necessarily that someone left a VM). Am I really expected to call and check my VM every time I miss a call???

I did some google searches and the only thing I could find was a thread here on wpcentral that didn't really have any answers. I have a hard time believing that if there were an indicator, this is the only mention of it on all of the Internet. I just came from a Verizon store (HTC Trophy) and the rep said that she used to have this phone and that she had an icon for voicemail, but I don't think she understood what I was talking about.

So, if there is an indicator, can someone PLEASE post a photo of it? And if there isn't, please let me know how everyone is coping with that.

SolunaKitty

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
Unfortunately, I don't think a dialer app in the Marketplace does that yet, nor can I think of a solution. Normally, I don't get voicemails. You can try the app "MagikMail" I believe that they notify you of new voicemails; I know many people like it, but I have not tried it fully, myself. The paid version transcribes voicemails.

Speebs

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
Unfortunately, I don't think a dialer app in the Marketplace does that yet, nor can I think of a solution. Normally, I don't get voicemails. You can try the app "MagikMail" I believe that they notify you of new voicemails; I know many people like it, but I have not tried it fully, myself. The paid version transcribes voicemails.
Thanks. So I assume this means there simply isn't a voicemail indicator icon in Windows Phone? How does MS expect people to take it seriously as a phone OS??

SolunaKitty

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
Visual Voicemail IS available on Mango devices; however, it's up to the carrier to enable that. Unfortunately, AT&T has not allowed this, nor do they seem to have any plans to do so any time soon.

SolunaKitty

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
Actually, MagikMail does have a "Messages" page which probably displays the voicemail messages (probably including caller's name/number and the time). If that's the case, I think that the MagikMail tile would probably have an indicator. I'm sorry that I am not of any more definitive help. Try it out?

Speebs

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
I'm not talking about visual voicemail. I'm just talking about regular voicemail through my carrier (Verizon). Does the link above mean that the voicemail icon only appears if visual voicemail is enabled? If so, that is infuriatingly stupid.

SolunaKitty

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
I suppose that might be the case. I don't know if the notification at the very top will still show up. Actually, I will test it out right now.

SolunaKitty

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
Okay, finally got someone to call and leave voicemail.

1) the voicemail icon DOES show up
2) the voicemail notification also shows up at the top
3) the LED indicator flashes green (I have a Titan)

I am on ATT, but I hope that's the case on your end also.

Snerd

Dec 31, 2011
Visit site
I'm not talking about visual voicemail. I'm just talking about regular voicemail through my carrier (Verizon). Does the link above mean that the voicemail icon only appears if visual voicemail is enabled? If so, that is infuriatingly stupid.

Speebs, my AT&T Focus displays the voicemail indicators shown on the page you linked above:
1) Notification at the top of Start or Wallpaper;
2) Symbol (reel to reel tape?) on the phone icon, in addition to missed calls number;
3) Number of new voicemails is shown above the voicemail button (looks like a tape cassette) at the bottom of the phone "history" display.

I believe all the above was true pre-Mango, too. But I don't seem to have visual voicemail. Not sure what that is, but the MS page describes it as something you flick to. I have nothing to flick to.

jleebiker

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
Speebs, Verizon charges for Visual Voicemail. However, you can get around that by using Google Voice. It is AWESOME! I have my vmail# tied to a Google Voice# and also put that account on my phone's main screen as its own tile. Now, if I get a vmail, I get a tile with a notice, get the vmail transcribed, can read the vmail and decide how urgent it is and call back right away or not. Also, I've had to on a couple of occasions forward the transcribed vmail and attached audio recording back to the sender to "remind" them of what they said.
Give it a try. Best of all, its free!

Speebs

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
Thanks everyone. I guess something is wrong with my account (Verizon rep didn't seem interested in doing anything about it yesterday). I will call them today.

Speebs

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
Well, this was a silly exercise. I called Verizon and one of their tech support people logged into my voicemail and turned off/on the "message waiting indicator." I had tried to do this from my phone the other day but it wouldn't let me turn it off. Once that was done and she left a test message, I immediately got an audio notification and the icon showed up both on the main tile and in the phone app.

tmotytn

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Well, this was a silly exercise. I called Verizon and one of their tech support people logged into my voicemail and turned off/on the "message waiting indicator." I had tried to do this from my phone the other day but it wouldn't let me turn it off. Once that was done and she left a test message, I immediately got an audio notification and the icon showed up both on the main tile and in the phone app.

:lol:

Don't feel bad--I only call 611 as a last resort, too...XDA, Modoco, SmartPhone Experts -sorry, Mobile Nations, even HowardForums or good ol Google were always checked for solutions before dialing 611. The issue may linger for a week or longer, but I wasn't calling in until I went thru "the list"...

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
Is there really no voicemail indicator at all in Mango? All I get is a number on the phone tile, which just means that I missed a call (not necessarily that someone left a VM). Am I really expected to call and check my VM every time I miss a call???

I did some google searches and the only thing I could find was a thread here on wpcentral that didn't really have any answers. I have a hard time believing that if there were an indicator, this is the only mention of it on all of the Internet. I just came from a Verizon store (HTC Trophy) and the rep said that she used to have this phone and that she had an icon for voicemail, but I don't think she understood what I was talking about.

So, if there is an indicator, can someone PLEASE post a photo of it? And if there isn't, please let me know how everyone is coping with that.

The only indicator I am aware of is a tape recorder ison on the tile screen. If you go to the phone dilaer and have unread voice mails there will be a similar icon and the number of unread voice mails I have samsung focus rev1.3 with mango. I get toast alerst on the topr ribbon about unread voice mails and messages

Speebs

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
The only indicator I am aware of is a tape recorder ison on the tile screen. If you go to the phone dilaer and have unread voice mails there will be a similar icon and the number of unread voice mails I have samsung focus rev1.3 with mango. I get toast alerst on the topr ribbon about unread voice mails and messages

Thanks- I wasn't seeing any of these things and a call to verizon fixed it. I guess something got hung up with my voicemail and the notifications weren't being sent to my phone at all.

Speebs

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
Thanks- I wasn't seeing any of these things and a call to verizon fixed it. I guess something got hung up with my voicemail and the notifications weren't being sent to my phone at all.
My VM indicator turned itself off again. Verizon is unable to fix it this time and is claiming that it's my phone. Is anyone else having this problem? It appears to have started a couple of weeks ago, based on the age of the voicemails I had in my inbox.

dtboos

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
To me it sounds like a Verizon issue. Maybe something specific on your voicemail account. It could be your phone I guess, and you can always make them replace it. You should be getting the little voicemail icon on both lockscreen and the phone tile.

Not sure why you are having the issue, but I hope you get it resolved. That would be annoying.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo