Quote: Windows Phone is Superior; Why Hasn?t it Taken Off?

Justin.TV312

Banned
Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
Outstanding hardware or outstanding chassis in the lumia?

Not sure if serious. The hardware in the phones is terrible and mid range at best. That's why. Also, apps are terrible quality and many are missing.

There us still a huge feature disparity as well. I think people are bored and are desperate for a third player. Wp7 isn't there yet. The only thing may people say is superior us the UI. Other than that it's nothing to write hone about, assuming you adore the UI.

Sent from my HD7 using Board Express

uh oh its N8ter H8ter M8ter B8ter. The hardware is not in the least bit terrible, see the thread below where someone said they played wit a sensation and it lagged terribly when compared to the focus S.

N8ter

Banned
Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Okay just did some research. You were right. Things changed a lot in 2 years.

On messaging phones the text messaging pack comes with sms and mms for 10 or 20 dollars on carriers.

But on smartphones you need data to have mms.

I remember when I had to pay for sms and mms separately a couple years ago.

So I apologize.
you don't need data to mms at all. Period. End of.

Data package policies are carrier inventions and apparently you drank the Kool-Aid. AT&T for example will not even let you activate any smart phone without a data plan (their system will auto add one when you use the phone on their network) because that's the way they want it. Even dumb phones can sent MMS and common practice is to convert long SMS to MMS so that it can be delivered in one message instead of being split.

MMS is not just for pictures and video.

koolkid09

May 28, 2011
Visit site

Data package policies are carrier inventions and apparently you drank the Kool-Aid. AT&T for example will not even let you activate any smart phone without a data plan (their system will auto add one when you use the phone on their network) because that's the way they want it. Even dumb phones can sent MMS and common practice is to convert long SMS to MMS so that it can be delivered in one message instead of being split.

MMS is not just for pictures and video.

What are you talking about. I'm not saying what it can technically do. I'm saying what it can do that the carriers will let you do. If you have a messaging phone when you get the messaging plan you get mms and sms. But with smartphone you need data.

M

mkr10001

Well considering my lumia wouldn't download the content of an MMS until I turned data on...I'm going to you DO need data on to mms...Period. End Of.

Justin.TV312

Banned
Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
Well considering my lumia wouldn't download the content of an MMS until I turned data on...I'm going to you DO need data on to mms...Period. End Of.

that's a smartphone,this is for feature phones which is what we were talking about when this persons sis wanted to send him some pics.

M

mkr10001

that's a smartphone,this is for feature phones which is what we were talking about when this persons sis wanted to send him some pics.

That still stops it being a "they don't use data. period. end of. " situation.

edit:

read the thread again.

When you send an MMS you get charged for it at the network rate, the same you would if it were a text message. To receive an MMS you NEED data. Whether it's GPRS or 3G. If your phone isn't equipped to receive an MMS you will be given a website to go to.

What I'M saying is that (as far as I'm aware) networks in my country don't charge to receive the message.

Last edited:

Justin.TV312

Banned
Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
That still stops it being a "they don't use data. period. end of. " situation.

edit:

read the thread again.

When you send an MMS you get charged for it at the network rate, the same you would if it were a text message. To receive an MMS you NEED data. Whether it's GPRS or 3G. If your phone isn't equipped to receive an MMS you will be given a website to go to.

What I'M saying is that (as far as I'm aware) networks in my country don't charge to receive the message.
How you gonna tell me to read the thread again,I'm the one who brought it to this point and who has actually worked for a carrier.

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
How did this get from why WP isn't selling well to a discussion on messaging rates? I think it would be nice to transfer stuff over Bluetooth and the only time WP hardware is lacking is when playing graphics intensive games.

Sent from my Windows 7 Phone using Board Express

Judge_Daniel

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
C'mon guys! Some of the debates are pretty petty.

In the U.S., WP needs more phones on Verizon and Sprint, more exposure, and it needs to differentiate itself from iOS and Android devices. People I've talked to have a hard time understanding why Windows Phone exists when we have iPhones and so many Android phones.

I can't really speak for the rest of the world, though.

M

mkr10001

How you gonna tell me to read the thread again,I'm the one who brought it to this point and who has actually worked for a carrier.

calm the F down and stop being on the attack. READ can mean two things. Put it into the context of my post and REALISE I am saying "red", the past tense. Indicating what I, MYSELF, ME just did. I wasn't telling anyone to do anything. Idiot.

Last edited:

cgk

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
I like my WP7 a lot but if I had a lot invested in the android or Apple ecosystem, I would find it a difficult choice to switch over - the technical superiority of a platform is really only a very small part of the overall picture.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb