Quote: Windows Phone is Superior; Why Hasn?t it Taken Off?

aubreyq

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
My take is that there's hasn't been a SPECTACULAR, rock star Windows Phone in the USA. You first gotta get the market's attention with the phone.

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
People don't know what WP7 is, and many don't give two hoots about it. They are perfectly happy with their Android/iOS devices. The Android takeover is in people's minds, so that's what they know.

Premium1

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
People don't know what WP7 is, and many don't give two hoots about it. They are perfectly happy with their Android/iOS devices. The Android takeover is in people's minds, so that's what they know.

Agree. Ms hasnt done enough to give people a reason to switch from what they already have and are using.

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
MS and their partners have no clue how to market WP7. Just today I saw a commercial for Androids new "group" feature [which WP7 had first]. The commercial for it was great. It was funny, entertaining, and straight to the point. If WP7 fails, it will be due to MS/OEM/WHOEVER not being able to market it to the people, or people just don't want to change.
Agree. Ms hasnt done enough to give people a reason to switch from what they already have and are using.

Justin.TV312

Banned
Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
MS and their partners have no clue how to market WP7. Just today I saw a commercial for Androids new "group" feature [which WP7 had first]. The commercial for it was great. It was funny, entertaining, and straight to the point. If WP7 fails, it will be due to MS/OEM/WHOEVER not being able to market it to the people, or people just don't want to change.

more like the second thing

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
more like the second thing

You don't think the lack of good marketing is hurting? I don't think it's the only issue, but it would be nice to see some cool commercials showing what WP can do. There are so many droid, iPhone and blackberry commercials out its not even funny.

Sent from my Windows 7 Phone using Board Express

foosball

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
Unfortunately for MS it will have to ditch the Windows moniker to succeed. It's almost purely marketing at this point.

Windows Phone is a success story looking for a reason to fail and it can fail based on marketing alone.

Every single person I have spoken to about Windows Phone has said "Windows??? MS??? No, thanks!!!" before even looking at the phone. MS clearly doesn't appreciate the marketing black-hole it has created with the Windows name.

Sent from my HTC Arrive using Board Express

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
Unfortunately for MS it will have to ditch the Windows moniker to succeed. It's almost purely marketing at this point.

Windows Phone is a success story looking for a reason to fail and it can fail based on marketing alone.

Every single person I have spoken to about Windows Phone has said "Windows??? MS??? No, thanks!!!" before even looking at the phone. MS clearly doesn't appreciate the marketing black-hole it has created with the Windows name.

What does that say about "those people" that would suddenly "consider" WP if it had a name that wasn't associated with Windows? :p

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
What does that say about "those people" that would suddenly "consider" WP if it had a name that wasn't associated with Windows? :p

I think it just says that they had a bad mental association to Windows on the phone.

Keep in mind, many of these people haven't even been willing to give WP a chance. They haven't really seen it other than a few glimpses in pictures or commercials. They've never used it. So they really don't have anything telling them that it's different than what their preconceptions say.

M

mkr10001

No. Stop blaming it on the name. It ISN'T the name what's wrong. It just needs overall improvement to draw people away from what they already love. And changing the name isn't going to do that.

Rhody#WP

May 3, 2011
Visit site

I sort of agree, but it's strange that the marketing black-hole was created with the operating system that consistently holds 80-90% of the PC market. "Windows" wasn't the problem, "Windows Mobile" was the problem.

Apple revitalized itself with marketing. Microsoft could certainly do better in that regard. They need to put some fresh kid in charge of marketing and put the suits in charge of Office.

Rhody#WP

May 3, 2011
Visit site
No. Stop blaming it on the name. It ISN'T the name what's wrong. It just needs overall improvement to draw people away from what they already love. And changing the name isn't going to do that.

I wonder if you could open your mind, put aside your ego for a minute, and consider the possibility that the name is part of the problem.

o4liberty

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
I just switched from android and couldn't be happier. Microsoft needs to market better and make a few easy changes to the software to compete with the other platforms. For example blackberry is the only platform that you can adjust the font sizes and if Microsoft did this before Google does that would sell more to the older crowd that has aging eyes. This might seem stupid but as we get older our eyes get weaker so if it is easier to read there would be no complaints.
Windows phones are awesome and if the basics are applied it would be the best platform.

M

mkr10001

I wonder if you could open your mind, put aside your ego for a minute, and consider the possibility that the name is part of the problem.

Why don't you tell me how the name is the problem when Windows is still the most popular computer OS in the world?? Clearly the majority of people DON'T think the way you think they do!

What the **** has this got to do with ego?

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site

Yeah. I don't think anyone here is claiming that it's 100% of the problem. Heck, not even 50% of the problem. But it does appear to be a problem.

There is a resistance by many to even give WP a try. Why would that be? The OS is beautiful, smooth, and functional. But many don't even want to bother taking a look once they hear the name of it. They just brush it off.

Sadly, Windows on mobile doesn't have a very good reputation. And a lot of people did give Windows Mobile a try, but didn't like it.

It's like if you drove an old Ford Pinto. That was a horrible car.

Now let's say there's a brand new Ford Pinto. It's completely different than the old Ford Pinto. It performs great and it's reliable.

But what happens when you tell people about it? They'll say, "Ford Pinto? No thanks."

Rhody#WP

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Why don't you tell me how the name is the problem when Windows is still the most popular computer OS in the world?? Clearly the majority of people DON'T think the way you think they do!

I don't claim to know what the majority of all people think, as you do. I'm not qualified to speak for the majority of all people, and neither are you. However, the majority of people I have talked to still have negative associations with respect to Windows Mobile and carry them over to Windows Phone. I know some people who hate everything Microsoft. I have friends who love everything Apple and think Windows is a joke. I know IT people who put Linux on everything and think everything Windows is an easy target for viruses. That perception is out there whether you're willing to admit it or not.

Because you continue to state your opinion as fact despite everybody disagreeing with you. The majority of people in this thread think the name is an obstacle. What makes you such an expert? You think you trump everybody in this forum just because you have an opinion? Trust me when I tell you that you're not unique in that regard. In fact, that makes you quite ordinary. What makes you extraordinary is your inability to accept that someone else might know what he's talking about.

Premium1

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site

Because computer os and phone os are two different things. Especially after all the issues that plagued windows mobile.

Premium1

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site

Agree, apple sells the majority of their products on advertising alone. If MS does not take some cues from others or get people in there who know how to market and advertise their product then nothing is going to change with MS not being known by very many.

M

mkr10001

Because computer os and phone os are two different things. Especially after all the issues that plagued windows mobile.

OK then if Computer OS and phone OS are two different things....why do you think that's the issue?

I don't claim to know what the majority of all people think, as you do. I'm not qualified to speak for the majority of all people, and neither are you. However, the majority of people I have talked to still have negative associations with respect to Windows Mobile and carry them over to Windows Phone. I know some people who hate everything Microsoft. I have friends who love everything Apple and think Windows is a joke. I know IT people who put Linux on everything and think everything Windows is an easy target for viruses. That perception is out there whether you're willing to admit it or not.

Because you continue to state your opinion as fact despite everybody disagreeing with you. The majority of people in this thread think the name is an obstacle. What makes you such an expert? You think you trump everybody in this forum just because you have an opinion? Trust me when I tell you that you're not unique in that regard. In fact, that makes you quite ordinary. What makes you extraordinary is your inability to accept that someone else might know what he's talking about.

It goes two ways! Just because "everybody" disagrees with me that the name is what's wrong doesn't mean it's true! It IS a FACT that the name isn't the single reason that WP isn't blowing up. The OS just doesn't offer enough to drag people away from what they already love. It COULD be part of the reason but there are so many other things.

1) lack of proper bluetooth
2) lack of marketing
3) lack of features people want e.g micro SD support, flash support.
4) possibly Windows Mobile (but joe bloggs in the street doesn't care about that. neither do teenage girls who want to facebook and text their friends). Tech people who know about the failure that was windows mobile AREN'T the only people who want to buy phones!

Maybe you should open YOUR mind to the possibility that not everyone cares that it has the windows name. You can't blame it all on a name!

Judge_Daniel

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
I'll admit that when I use a Windows Phone, I don't think of the traditional Windows experience. However, I'm wondering if Microsoft is trying to change the perception of its entire product line. The only way I'd see them changing the name of Windows Phone is if they remove Windows from Windows 8.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers