'People' tile question

jdd77

Sep 24, 2011
Visit site
You're right that there's no setting for it, but to quote my earlier response, "You can use this to make tiles static."

Just make that single tile into a "themed" tile.

You need to unlock your phone to use that. Im just a regular phone user. Be nice if that was one of the themes though..

thed

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
I can't think of a single third party app that doesn't let you disable its live tile. I'm pretty sure it's a requirement for certification.

Sent from my HTC Trophy using Board Express

Big Supes

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
Its not really unnecessary. Options are good.

Options are nice, but unnecessary options clutter. The reason I say it's "unnecessary" is because Live Tiles are a selling point of WP and most people, at least, try out a phone before buying it.

It's like someone ordering a Shelby Mustang over the phone and then saying "is there any way to get rid of that awesome sound of the supercharged V8". :D

Some people may like alot of other things about the os, some may love the live tiles. My opinion is completely unbiased because I didn't choose wp7 for any reason over another os. My questions and suggestions come from experiencing this phone. My opinions matter because Im among the 90% of people Microsoft needs to target.

I see where you're coming from, but 90% of people MS need to target actually try out a phone before buying it. They pick it up, give it a test drive and the rest follows. If they don't like the tiles, that'll smack them in the face the moment they pick it up. I'm pretty sure they won't be asking if there's an option to turn them off.

jdd77

Sep 24, 2011
Visit site
I see where you're coming from, but 90% of people MS need to target actually try out a phone before buying it. They pick it up, give it a test drive and the rest follows. If they don't like the tiles, that'll smack them in the face the moment they pick it up. I'm pretty sure they won't be asking if there's an option to turn them off.

You are right. But getting this phone the way I did made me think of something about the OS-
What if I chose one of the 6 android phones I was offered? Do you think I would be posting in forums about options, settings, the home screen, notifications, etc..? Even if someone 'test-drived' this phone before buying, and liked it.. just the lack of settings or customization may turn them off.
Genius is in developing a new technology that has aspects that can appeal to EVERYONE, without defaming its original innovative idea.
If I picked any phone "X" and hated it, don't you think somewhere along the way I could get used to it or make it the way I like? This also goes for getting wp7 as a gift or a company choosing this phone for it's employees, or anyone else just wanting to try something different.

You may wanna test drive a new car to see if you like how it feels, or listen to a new artist before buying their album....but something used for communication should be designed in a way that anyone could get used to.

Big Supes

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
You are right. But getting this phone the way I did made me think of something about the OS-

Sure, but you've been presented with a problem due to your failure to research what you're buying.

What if I chose one of the 6 android phones I was offered? Do you think I would be posting in forums about options, settings, the home screen, notifications, etc..? Even if someone 'test-drived' this phone before buying, and liked it.. just the lack of settings or customization may turn them off.

This is what it really boils down to... and I expected as much. Windows Phone isn't Android so, again, maybe you should have researched the platform you were choosing before getting it and wanting to change it. One of the main reasons I don't own an Android is because of the backward menus and endless settings. I just want my phone to work. Upon playing with WP, I knew within minutes that we spoke the same language. I could have easily just gone with Android (without testing it) and then complained that it needed tightening up, but that kinda illogic is odd.

Genius is in developing a new technology that has aspects that can appeal to EVERYONE, without defaming its original innovative idea.

Couldn't have put it better, and "defaming its original innovative idea" pretty much summarises disabling the core Live Tiles (people/me tile).

If I picked any phone "X" and hated it, don't you think somewhere along the way I could get used to it or make it the way I like? This also goes for getting wp7 as a gift or a company choosing this phone for it's employees, or anyone else just wanting to try something different.

I think all the platforms stand out from one another, catering for different kinds of users. Also, no amount of customising Android could I get used to one. It's interface is very different from WP and that's the bottom line.

You may wanna test drive a new car to see if you like how it feels, or listen to a new artist before buying their album....but something used for communication should be designed in a way that anyone could get used to.

There's "customising" and then there's the actual UI. Android's customisation kinda feels like rolling a turd in glitter; it looks nicer, but it's still a turd.

Last edited:

Justin.TV312

Banned
Jan 1, 2012
Visit site

Oh yes you would be posting in Android forums but about different and more serious issues other than how to stop something from flipping or how to get a song to stop appearing in the volume bar.

SolunaKitty

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
SolunaKitty- where could I find the instructions for this? I am .edu but *not* a developer...if this unlock will allow other SIM's while traveling, it may be worth the work!

Oh, this would be a dev-unlock, not a SIM-unlock, unfortunately.

In any case, you'd have to register with MS DreamSpark, verify with the .edu address, download the package, register with the apphub, and then you can unlock the phone.

Justin.TV312

Banned
Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
This OS is still incomplete yet.

you have no idea what you are talking about. I have yet to see one significant thing besides siri that iOS can do that you can't do in wp7. IN FACT on my sis iTouch the safari browser constantly crashes and the whole unit freezes when she tries to play this hungry cat game. On my HD7 I have yet to see a freeze up and have yet to see IE crash in its entirety (only seen single tabs crash once a week or so).

jdd77

Sep 24, 2011
Visit site
^^^Then why was there NoDo, Mango? Why are we waiting for Tango, Apollo?..These aren't necessarily updates. They are crucial features of any smartphone OS that were left out upon the release of wp7. That's why it's incomplete. WP is innovative and certainly works great, but its incomplete.

Justin.TV312

Banned
Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
^^^Then why was there NoDo, Mango? Why are we waiting for Tango, Apollo?..These aren't necessarily updates. They are crucial features of any smartphone OS that were left out upon the release of wp7. That's why it's incomplete. WP is innovative and certainly works great, but its incomplete.

Why does Android have cupcake,donut,?clair,froyo,gingerbread,honeycomb and ICS?
still make no sense

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
What OS is complete and totally finished, where they are no more updated coming? WebOS maybe. LOL!

jdd77

Sep 24, 2011
Visit site
I'm sorry, I'm not following...

As you well know, we have discussed this before in much greater depth in previous threads..so not gonna get too much into it again here. But one last example of what I mean-
How can a 'smart' phone be released without universal search? This is not comparing to android, but to any phone. My basic flip-phone had it. But Im sure it will come in an "update" as a cool "new" feature for wp7. Just like copy/paste or multitasking(which still needs alot of work btw).
I understand this OS is a completely different and innovative take. But I don't understand why standard functions need to be left out for the sake of being different. Or to reduce 'clutter' as you would say. This is what I mean by it being incomplete. Again, I didn't choose this phone for what it is or what it's not, over something else...but as 'someone off the street' so-to-speak, and not already in the ecosystem- I find there are several things that need to be completed as a competing OS, before any new updates can truly be "new".

bigkevbosky

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
Being honest, I dont want unnecessary options integrated into the OS because a minority of people fail to research the phone/OS they're buying. Live Tiles are a key function to WP. You either dig it or you dont.

Sent from my HD7 T9292 using Board Express

How are "any" options unnecessary? Because you think they are?

I don't want any live tiles on my home screen. Its distracting when there's a bunch of them flipping around. And I get all my notifications on my lock screen, which is the FIRST thing I see when I use my phone. Why exactly do I need numerous notifications that I missed a phone call, for example? I get one at the top of the screen when it happens, a missed call indication on the lock screen, and then the live tile will show I missed a call.

I've given up live tiles so I can skin the tiles however I want, with whatever colors I want. I consider it a fair trade. And the reason I chose this OS wasn't for live tiles, it was because of how smooth it worked, how crash-free it seemed, and how minimalistic it was. Live tiles have nothing to do with any of that.

I think having more options is great - its not like we're treading into Android waters of crazy widgets or anything. All the guy wants to do is turn off one live tile.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jallymonz