Does anyone feel like there's not enough settings?

Jake_M

Jul 31, 2011
Visit site
There's so many moments where I feel like Microsoft could have put an option for things opposed to just making it one way.

An example of this is ability to turn off haptic feedback on front buttons.

Or there's not ENOUGH settings for something.

The brightness settings? Low, Medium, and High. I actually like a setting between Low and Medium but I can't really get that. Also the color themes...we should have a full color chooser. Stuff like that. Or vibrating times, like how long the phone vibrates when you get a text.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
Windows Mobile 6.1 had more setting.

I would prefer more setting, but I think Microsoft was trying to make it easier for less geeky people.

S1NKING SH1PS

Aug 7, 2011
Visit site
I actually like the simplicity of the settings on WP7. Every once in a while, there is a setting I'd like to be able to change, but overall, I like that things just kinda are the way they are. I've used three Android devices over the past few years (two phones and a tablet) and I'm just so over tweaking every little detail of the phone. That's why with Windows Phone, I just enjoy the device the way it was set up. I've had my Trophy for a while now, and I legitimately enjoy the phone for what it is.

Speebs

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
My frustration is this: for the last 15+ years, Microsoft has trained us to think in terms of "basic" users and "power" users. Many of use prefer MS products to, say, Apple products because we like the added flexibility. Now, with Metro and WP7 in general, MS seems to want to consider everyone a "basic" user. It would be great if you could switch from "basic" to "advanced" interfaces for those of us who MS has trained to be power users. You know, kind of like how Windows works!

btbam91

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
I'm glad Samsung gave me the option to turn off the haptic feedback on the front buttons!

Sent from my Windows Phone using Board Express

blehblehbleh

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
You know you kind of bring up an interesting point btbam91, perhaps microsoft left that "incomplete" so that OEMs could fill in the gap. For example, much like samsung, HTC has their "Attentive Phone" app that allows you to do things that their other range of devices do, e.g. flip the phone over to activate speaker. Or I believe there's a wireless provider in Europe that has its own colored theme.

Judge_Daniel

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
I was thinking the same thing (as the OP) just today. There are some missing settings that aren't even that advanced. I'm hoping that in Apollo there will be a Windows-esque way of looking at settings--having basic and advanced settings.

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
There aree some areas in settings that have an advanced butoon however the advanced settings dont seem tghat advanced!

Major

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
I actually like the simplicity of the settings on WP7. Every once in a while, there is a setting I'd like to be able to change, but overall, I like that things just kinda are the way they are. I've used three Android devices over the past few years (two phones and a tablet) and I'm just so over tweaking every little detail of the phone. That's why with Windows Phone, I just enjoy the device the way it was set up. I've had my Trophy for a while now, and I legitimately enjoy the phone for what it is.

If you like the default settings, great. If you don't, it would be nice to have the ability to to adjust them. Just because you are given the option doesn't mean that your default setting enjoyment would be in any way hindered.

Justin.TV312

Banned
Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
I feel the settings are enough at this point,maybe a custom color setting or the return of the sound enhancer is all that's needed. Anything else is just micro management of every single aspect of the phone which MS is trying to avoid.

mprice86

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
I've certainly not felt like there's not enough settings yet.

Having come from Android, I wanted to get far far away from settings, options, tweaks and all of that. I've changed the colour of my tiles a few times and I turn wifi/3G on and off that is literally the extent of my settings use since I set the phone up almost 2 months ago.

It's one of the things I like so much about WP7; it doesn't need me to tell it how to look or behave at all times. Though obviously it helps that I like the default look and behaviour of the OS.

monotok

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
I feel the same way, it annoys me that it acts as though everyone is a basic user. There are loads of things missing.
Bugged me so much I decided to purchase a Blackberry Bold 9900 because I wanted to compare and I actually prefer many things over my DVP.

For example, I like the way you tap the top bar and list comes down with options to turn off all radio devices, wifi, NFC, bluetooth etc.

You tap the bar under that and all your notifications are listed as well as all the near calendar entries, WP7 calendar tile is poor as it only shows one :p

Sound profiles and the ability to have volume in media different to that of ringtone etc!

The search is another thing, I like the bing search integration etc on WP7 but on the Blackberry you start typing and its searchs the calendar, contacts, texts, emails, bing, app world etc and then it lists with a little number on the icon how many things it found in that app.
I would love WP7 to be able to search locally in messages etc.

Also Bluetooth is poor compared to the BB, you can send files and then even make it act as a Bluetooth modem, while for me WP7 may as well not have bluetooth as it can be used as a headset only :(

I know it sounds like im having a dig but those little things annoy me. I will sell the BB i think and keep my DVP because I want to see what Tango and Apollo bring, hoping they will add many more features like that :D

By the time apollo comes out I can decide between the new Apollo phones and Blackberries new QNX.

I hope they (Nokia) come out with a new phone with a portrait slider with only a 3.7inch screen or the BB Bold type shape as I love the keyboard!!!

Justin.TV312

Banned
Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
I feel the same way, it annoys me that it acts as though everyone is a basic user. There are loads of things missing.
Bugged me so much I decided to purchase a Blackberry Bold 9900 because I wanted to compare and I actually prefer many things over my DVP.

For example, I like the way you tap the top bar and list comes down with options to turn off all radio devices, wifi, NFC, bluetooth etc.

You tap the bar under that and all your notifications are listed as well as all the near calendar entries, WP7 calendar tile is poor as it only shows one :p

Sound profiles and the ability to have volume in media different to that of ringtone etc!

The search is another thing, I like the bing search integration etc on WP7 but on the Blackberry you start typing and its searchs the calendar, contacts, texts, emails, bing, app world etc and then it lists with a little number on the icon how many things it found in that app.
I would love WP7 to be able to search locally in messages etc.

Also Bluetooth is poor compared to the BB, you can send files and then even make it act as a Bluetooth modem, while for me WP7 may as well not have bluetooth as it can be used as a headset only :(

I know it sounds like im having a dig but those little things annoy me. I will sell the BB i think and keep my DVP because I want to see what Tango and Apollo bring, hoping they will add many more features like that :D

By the time apollo comes out I can decide between the new Apollo phones and Blackberries new QNX.

I hope they (Nokia) come out with a new phone with a portrait slider with only a 3.7inch screen or the BB Bold type shape as I love the keyboard!!!

Crackberry.com is this way. |
|
|
V

monotok

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
Crackberry.com is this way. |
|
|
V

I know and I am a member, However I still use Windows Phone, each has its own weakness which many people know.
I am sticking to WP as i want a modern OS as BB seem a bit outdated!

However there are weaknesses to the OS and I'm not going to pretend they are not there! Microsoft knows it needs to improve and it is a young OS compared to BB which is like 10 years old.

Microsoft probably put all the stuff in that would make it sell aka unique things like the People hub etc but I'm hoping they will now address the little things :)

sinister1

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
WP7 Sucks compared to WM in my personal oppinion. How do you call this an advanced operating system when you can't do half the stuff you use to be able to do on an OS from like 5 years ago? Sure it is pretty and doesn't freez up as much and there are more apps but give me a break why can't I use Bluetooth to transfer files when that opption has been around since like 1994 or something like that? Even cheap *** Cricket and Boost Mobile phones running gaydroid can do that. MS needs to take their freaking heads out of the clould and pay attention what people want instead of telling them what they can't do.

Justin.TV312

Banned
Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
WP7 Sucks compared to WM in my personal oppinion. How do you call this an advanced operating system when you can't do half the stuff you use to be able to do on an OS from like 5 years ago? Sure it is pretty and doesn't freez up as much and there are more apps but give me a break why can't I use Bluetooth to transfer files when that opption has been around since like 1994 or something like that? Even cheap *** Cricket and Boost Mobile phones running gaydroid can do that. MS needs to take their freaking heads out of the clould and pay attention what people want instead of telling them what they can't do.

So WP7 sucks because one can't send files through Bluetooth? Why doesn't apple get this same treatment too because they can't do that either? Give me a break troll

Duvi

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
I don't think they're missing, instead, I think they're just being slowly rolled in.

There are options I'd like, but I think it's a much smarter move to gradually get them added than to throw all of them in at once.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ayven