New name for WP7

Silverdogz

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
I believe that one reason why people don't want to buy a Windows Phone is because it sounds like Windows Mobile. Or the name doesn't sound appealing. So please brainstorm some new names for WP7!

Sent from my SGH-i937 using Board Express

Premium1

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
I think it has more to do with no real brand recognition. I have personally only saw about 3-5 people with a wp7 phone( and in my work I see people from every background and economic scenario) I think if it was more out there, more would be interested about it and go into a store to play with one and see what it is all about.

klocker2

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
they do have a new name.... it is now just Windows Phone.

But maybe Metro Phone or Xphone but they had to leverage the Windows brand but I think they underestimate the backlash against the name

Judge_Daniel

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
I am sure that Microsoft would rather reinvigorate its brand name than build a new one from scratch. People are still going to realize that the product is from Microsoft no matter what they call it, so they need to show people how good of a product it is instead.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I think they should leverage the LIVE brand.

When I think Windows, I don't think Live Tiles. I think of desktop windows that you resize, minimize, and maximize.

My suggestion is LiveOS. Ties is with the whole LIVE cloud service and XBOX LIVE. Also, fits with Live Tiles. And heck, the OS does feel alive.

I actually think the desktop Windows 8 should also be called LiveOS. And the desktop app in it would he called Windows.

massifheed

Aug 23, 2011
Visit site
I was in a Vodafone store the other day and saw the Lumia on display. They did a great job of showing it off, but I noticed in the display that one of the info bullet points about the phone was that it was "as close to a PC experience as you can get on a smartphone."

Nonsense, obviously. It's nothing like a PC experience, intentionally so.

Clearly this is a case of the people writing the promotional stuff not knowing the product. In this case someone at Vodafone is clearly under the impression that it's still Windows Mobile.

It's that kind of stuff that damages the OS's chances, so I agree with others that something other than "Windows" phone would have been good.

Sent from my OMNIA7 using Board Express

fogel35

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
I think they should leverage the LIVE brand.

When I think Windows, I don't think Live Tiles. I think of desktop windows that you resize, minimize, and maximize.

My suggestion is LiveOS. Ties is with the whole LIVE cloud service and XBOX LIVE. Also, fits with Live Tiles. And heck, the OS does feel alive.

I actually think the desktop Windows 8 should also be called LiveOS. And the desktop app in it would he called Windows.

+1 on the LiveOS. Have the Mango LiveOS or Apollo LiveOS. I do think they need to let go of the Windows name on consumer products.

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
Well, you could spend 30 seconds using WP Mango and realize its totally different than WinMo. =D. I think they just need to get them in hands, let the phone/OS speak for itself.

If anything, I think they should have just started the # scheme over with WP, but I'm sure that is an old discussion.

I like the Windows Phone branding. :)

M

mkr10001

No. It's Windows...and it's a phone.....windows phone makes sense.....not rocket science

Judge_Daniel

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
LiveOS sounds alot like WebOS. And we all know how that ended up.

Sent from my SGH-i937 using Board Express

And when you say it, it sounds a little like iOS.

The LIVE brand has always been software inside MS products. Such as the LIVE suite in Windows or XBox Live inside of the XBox. I guess it has to be, though, since the products all require a great internet connection and not everyone has high-speed internet.

jmerrey

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
No. It's Windows...and it's a phone.....windows phone makes sense.....not rocket science

Actually I would disagree with this. It's not Windows. It really has nothing to do with Windows, other than the fact that Microsoft put the Windows name on it.

M

mkr10001

Actually I would disagree with this. It's not Windows. It really has nothing to do with Windows, other than the fact that Microsoft put the Windows name on it.

How about the fact that Microsoft, you know, the people who make it, say it is?

based_graham

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site

I have to disagree Windows Phone is the direction the Windows brand is going to. If Microsoft wants to survive they need to have the Windows OS scale from phones to desktops to servers.

They could of renamed the phone to LiveOS but now you have LiveOS, Windows, Xbox, Zune it gets pretty confussing I rather have it all under 1 name "Windows" rather than the MAC solution iOS and OSX.

Heres a what IF question if Windows 7 introduced the majority to the Metro UI interface would WP have bigger sales numbers by now? If people were accustomed to Metro UI and love the interface I am sure they would highly consider a WP rather than a Android/iPhone.

based_graham

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
Windows phone represents Windows alot better than the actual Windows OS. Think of tiles as Windows you can briefly see whats going on and if you want to know more you open the Window and jump out while other standard icon grids are like doors with labels you dont know whats going on until you open it. <- this is all coming from a blog I recently read.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720