New name for WP7

MannLou

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
In reference to the comment about Nokia touting the WP7 experience being as close to a PC as possible, that statement will make a lot more sense when Windows 8 is out. Then you'll see a connection from the PC to the phone. Once the 60 or so million people start to use windows 8 things will shift towards windows phone. I think the name is fine. The marketing has to start to state the obvious: This is NOT Windows Mobile.

Sent from my kick-*** TITAN using Board Express

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
The NAME! Are Android phones robots? NO. Are Blackberry's fruits? No.

Ah, so let's get this straight.

So, it's not rocket science. Windows Phone is Windows and a Phone. So therefore it should be called Windows Phone. But the part of it that is Windows is the name. Right?

You spin me right round baby right round like a record baby right round round round.

Matthew Mazzenga

Sep 24, 2011
Visit site

So, it's not rocket science. Windows Phone is Windows and a Phone. So therefore it should be called Windows Phone. But the part of it that is Windows is the name. Right?

You spin me right round baby right round like a record baby right round round round.

While I may not agree with your opinions, I'll defend to the death your right to quote Dead or Alive lyrics. :)

M

mkr10001

Microsoft's operating system is called windows yeah? You got that into your skull? It makes sense to call the mobile OS WINDOWS PHONE. What's not to get about that?

L

lumic

they do have a new name.... it is now just Windows Phone.

But maybe Metro Phone or Xphone but they had to leverage the Windows brand but I think they underestimate the backlash against the name
To be honest? I've always found the suggestion of "Metro Phone" to be super tacky, just like suggestions of "Windows Metro".

While the XBox brand is obviously a good one, the integration in Windows Phone still leaves much to be desired (not to mention the low quality of games) and might just disappoint further.

I think the Zune name lines up pretty well, but I'm not sure how the public would perceive it.

jdevenberg

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
I like LiveOS. SkyOS wouldn't be bad either due to the high degree of integration with skydrive and cloud services. I think SocialOS or PeopleOS or something similar that shows the people centric approach MS has taken.

I agree that the Windows brand is in fact hurting Windows Phone sales. I think that MS should reinvent itself with a new name for its consumer line of products. Keep the Windows name for the business line, maybe minimize the Metro in the business release of the desktop OS too. People don't like using the same things at home they use at the office. Different UI's and Names would help MS keep their consumer products feeling fresh and "hip". Windows 8 at work LiveOS at home. Same code, can run the same apps, different main UI. Ties in with Xbox and the Live experience, call WP LivePhone. I think it would really help consumer perception a lot.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Microsoft's operating system is called windows yeah? You got that into your skull? It makes sense to call the mobile OS WINDOWS PHONE. What's not to get about that?

Going out on a ledge here. But... Because it's not the same thing?

Egads!

Mitsubishi made a car called the Lancer. So their TVs should be called Lancers!

Duvi

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site

Egads!

I understand what mkr may be saying... for your example, they would call them "Mitsubishi", whether it's a car or a tv. It would depend on the topic. If one were talking about cars and some said "Mitsubishi", then one would assume they were talking about the cars.

Microsoft wanted to get away from the WM branding w/o getting away from what everyone sees them as... which is Windows.

90% of the time someone sees my device, they say "oh that's windows" or something similar w/ windows in it. Those that aren't up on WP, but remember windows mobile make up the 10% that will say Windows Mobile.

Whether it's right or wrong, that's how it is... that goes for a lot of things/brands. Sony, Samsung, LG, etc. You'll more often than not hear someone say "that Sony looks good" versus "that Bravia looks good".

M

mkr10001

Egads!

They're trying to create a unified brand. Windows on your desktop, windows phone on your phone. It's not difficult ......

Windows phone sounds so much better than some tacky and cheesy "people os" how about "sharing os" or "love your friends os".

Last edited by a moderator:

Rhody#WP

May 3, 2011
Visit site
The name "LiveOS" would suffer because people would think they have to use Hotmail, Skydrive, and Live Calendar (why don't they call it LiveMail and LiveDrive?) in order to use the phone. I don't want an iPhone mostly because I don't want to install iTunes on my computer. The same may be true for people who resist Live services; they just don't know that they can still use their Gmail or whatever it is they use.

Maybe MS should have called them "panes" instead of tiles. I definitely agree about the baggage the name "windows" carries though. I brought this up months ago and got torn a new one on this forum.

http://forums.windowscentral.com/windows-phone-7-os-discussion/178585.htm

Last edited:
M

mkr10001

The name "LiveOS" would suffer because people would think they have to use Hotmail, Skydrive, and Live Calendar (why don't they call it LiveMail and LiveDrive?) in order to use the phone. I don't want an iPhone mostly because I don't want to install iTunes on my computer. The same may be true for people who resist Live services; they just don't know that they can still use their Gmail or whatever it is they use.

Maybe MS should have called them "panes" instead of tiles. I definitely agree about the baggage the name "windows" carries though. I brought this up months ago and got torn a new one on this forum.

Only retards who can't work a computer hate windows....If you use your brain and common sense windows is fine. None of this "too many viruses gibberish". Besides...only a small group of people will make that connection.....

Rhody#WP

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Only retards who can't work a computer hate windows....If you use your brain and common sense windows is fine. None of this "too many viruses gibberish". Besides...only a small group of people will make that connection.....

The problem is those people are the ones selling smartphones.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I understand what mkr may be saying... for your example, they would call them "Mitsubishi", whether it's a car or a tv. It would depend on the topic. If one were talking about cars and some said "Mitsubishi", then one would assume they were talking about the cars.

Microsoft wanted to get away from the WM branding w/o getting away from what everyone sees them as... which is Windows.

90% of the time someone sees my device, they say "oh that's windows" or something similar w/ windows in it. Those that aren't up on WP, but remember windows mobile make up the 10% that will say Windows Mobile.

Whether it's right or wrong, that's how it is... that goes for a lot of things/brands. Sony, Samsung, LG, etc. You'll more often than not hear someone say "that Sony looks good" versus "that Bravia looks good".

Don't get me wrong. I understand why they used the Windows name. It's because it's their strongest brand.

But equating Windows to Mitsubishi isn't accurate. Since Mitsubishi is the company. That would like be calling it Microsoft Phone.

My argument is that the Windows brand may be strong on the desktop, but it actually has a negative image on mobiles. Therefore, it would be more logical to brand it with something else that doesn't have the negativity associated with it. Especially since the OS itself doesn't bare any resemblance to "Windows."

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
They're trying to create a unified brand. Windows on your desktop, windows phone on your phone. It's not difficult ......

Windows phone sounds so much better than some tacky and cheesy "people os" how about "sharing os" or "love your friends os".

Ah. Internet tough guys calling people names. lol

I have an opinion that Live would be a better unified brand in this case. You, apparently don't take well to others having a different opinion. And it makes you flip out.

Oh kids these days...

Last edited by a moderator:
M

mkr10001

Ah. Internet tough guys calling people names. lol

I have an opinion that Live would be a better unified brand in this case. You, apparently don't take well to others having a different opinion. And it makes you flip out.

Oh kids these days...

Give over.

Get a grip. It's called Windows Phone..... GET OVER IT!

I flip out at the sheer lack of brains here...... It's REALLY not difficult to see why they called it Windows Phone .......

Rhody#WP

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Don't get me wrong. I understand why they used the Windows name. It's because it's their strongest brand.

But equating Windows to Mitsubishi isn't accurate. Since Mitsubishi is the company. That would like be calling it Microsoft Phone.

My argument is that the Windows brand may be strong on the desktop, but it actually has a negative image on mobiles. Therefore, it would be more logical to brand it with something else that doesn't have the negativity associated with it. Especially since the OS itself doesn't bare any resemblance to "Windows."

In my opinion, Microsoft Phone is pretty good. It's like Microsoft Office or Microsoft Word. In fact, they could have called it Microsoft Phone with DevOS and advertise that the operating system is designed to be easy to develop for. Keep the name of the device simple for the consumer and target the name of the OS to developers. Microsoft Phone loses the "windows" baggage too.

This whole topic is interesting, but it's too late. Microsoft will not start all over.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Give over.

Get a grip. It's called Windows Phone..... GET OVER IT!

I flip out at the sheer lack of brains here......

Get over it? It's not a big deal to me at all. I bought the product. I'm okay with the name. I just happen to have an opinion that the name isn't the best for marketing a mobile handset.

You really should take a deep breath and step away from the computer.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
In my opinion, Microsoft Phone is pretty good. It's like Microsoft Office or Microsoft Word. In fact, they could have called it Microsoft Phone with DevOS and advertise that the operating system is designed to be easy to develop for. Keep the name of the device simple for the consumer and target the name of the OS to developers. Microsoft Phone loses the "windows" baggage too.

This whole topic is interesting, but it's too late. Microsoft will not start all over.

I'm sure there are quite a few different names that could possibly spur interest. Maybe Microsoft Phone would do it. Who knows?

As for not starting over... well, Windows Phone is them starting over. So it isn't unprecedented. Though I agree that their chance at giving it a good name was better before the initial launch.

I think they made 2 mistakes. Calling it Windows tied it to Windows Mobile.
Numbering it 7, tied it to Windows Mobile.

Windows 8 on the desktop looks like MS is almost starting over. The Metro Style interface is being added, and the traditional Windows desktop is actually being relegated to being an app. So there is a chance for some big change this year.

We don't even know for sure if the next iteration of Windows will officially be called Windows 8. Every other version of Windows had a special code-name for when it was in development. This version's code name is Windows 8.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ayven