Why I don't like WP Mango

shubhashish

Dec 17, 2011
Visit site
I have been waiting forever to lay my hands on the Nokia Lumia 800. Have been tracking WP Mango for a long time. Now as I have the phone for over a fortnight, I am loving it, but not quite.

The issue is, I love the OS for the Live Tiles and the People's Hub. And this is where the problems begin. Live Tiles are awesome but developers are not really making use of the immense possibilities with it at this point in time.

Even Windows Phone isn't, for that matter. Case in point": If I get an sms the Messaging Live Tiles shows the number 1. If the People's hub can show pics of my contacts in a 3x3 grid why can't messaging? Why doesn't it flip the picture of the person who has sent the sms? Same with calls.

Expecting app developers to make full use of this OS when the makers themselves aren't. Worrisome.

Anyway, this is my opinion.

My second and last grudge with the OS is the absence of push notifications in the Me Tile.

Now, the idea of one stream of Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn is compromised because of absence of push notifications.

Why should I open the Me Tile swipe right for notifications and wait for the phone to tell me if there are any mentions on Twitter or on Facebook?

Now, to solve this issue, we have to rely on third party apps like Seesmic which gives push notifications for Twitter. This means, that if someone tweets to me specifically, the phone will alert me right then. If the Me Tile had this option push notifications, then the possibility of a third party app would have been greatly reduced.

Because it doesn't do that, I have installed Seesmic which notifies me if there is a tweet mentioning me. With this, I have actually doubled my social networks on the phone.

The People's Hub also has my entire stream and just for the notifications, I have Seesmic, which again gives me my Twitter Timeline.

And same goes with the Facebook app. It gives notifications hence downloaded.

So now, I have the Facebook app, the Twitter app (Seesmic) and the People's Hub. The need for Facebook app and Twitter app would have been nullified (in my case) only if Microsoft had given push notifications in the Me Tile.

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
The notifications on WP aren't that great, but I make do. I still prefer this os over the others. They all have weaknesses, you just have to decide which weakness is a bigger deal to you.

Sent from my Windows 7 Phone using Board Express

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
You make some good points. I really like what you're saying about having the pictures appear on the messaging tile. I hadn't even thought of that possibility.

I do hope to see these live updates improve over time. They're pretty good already, but there is so much potential for more.

Justin.TV312

Banned
Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
If you have the person or group the person is in pinned to your start screen it will flip over saying who sent the message. The Me tile doesn't have push but it does usually flip over with the notification usually within 5 minutes.

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
notification does need an update

the SMS live tile shows a 1 and the happy face changes depending on a phew things.. thats why you dont see pics .

- Blinking face
- happy face
- sad face

not sure if any more. it be nice to have more options for live tiles doh

example: each live tiles have different option on what you can see. so switch it from a happy face the the face of the person that sent you the msgs. witch i dont really like.

i get over 30 txt a day. all itsgona do is , show me the SAME pic as my people hub.. witch would be dumb and confusing for me.

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
If notifications for someone does not open for a whileit could be that their facebook profile or security settings may have changed even inadvertently.

Jake_M

Jul 31, 2011
Visit site
I get notifications on the Me tile :S

Or maybe I'm talking about something else...but it tells me when I have a mention on Twitter or some Facebook event.

Big Supes

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
The "Me" tile notifies me just fine, although, up until this Wifi issue, notifications are rather slow (whilst connected to my home network).

As for a picture of the last person to have missed called/text, I'd rather keep that private.

WPGenius

Oct 14, 2011
Visit site
I agree, I wouldnt like the tiles flipping over with the person's picture, wouldnt do you any justice sometimes, plus what if you have 10 messages, that you havent checked, you're saying my battery life will deminish because its flipping through 10 differ pictures of people who've text me...lol. I like the Me tile personally though, delayed or not, it WORKS...we can be thankful for it...But the notifications could be a little better....

Speebs

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
I agree, I wouldnt like the tiles flipping over with the person's picture, wouldnt do you any justice sometimes, plus what if you have 10 messages, that you havent checked, you're saying my battery life will deminish because its flipping through 10 differ pictures of people who've text me...lol. I like the Me tile personally though, delayed or not, it WORKS...we can be thankful for it...But the notifications could be a little better....

Most people don't text all day long or have a ton of outstanding text messages. The people tile can hold 9 pictures, so if you use the same style, you could have 9 pictures on the tile. I think it would be nice to be able to see who contacted me without having to open the messaging or phone apps.

N8ter

Banned
Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
I suspect you really mean consistent not stable.

He means stable. The notification turnaround is not stable; it is volatile because it depends on abackground task for updates. This post wasn't warranted.

Should have the Facebook app installed if you care about that, anyways.

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Tapatalk

gkrew

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
At the root of the issue it is not a Mango problem. It's app developers not making tiles more useful. Hopefully that can change if they ever get feedback from sites like this

M

mkr10001

what an evil topic....maybe we should start a topic about why we don't like you

L

lumic

Notifications are weak on the platform, OP picked it up within a fortnight. Surprised that others continue to defend Microsoft when this is an obvious flaw in the OS.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos