Why I don't like WP Mango

Big Supes

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
Notifications are weak on the platform, OP picked it up within a fortnight. Surprised that others continue to defend Microsoft when this is an obvious flaw in the OS.

At least describe (for the benefit of everyone's time) 'why' you think the notifications are weak...

wolf1891

May 12, 2011
Visit site
Notifications are weak on the platform, OP picked it up within a fortnight. Surprised that others continue to defend Microsoft when this is an obvious flaw in the OS.

that is ONE opinion... personally, I don't have any real issues with the notifications so I fail to see how this can be such an "obvious" flaw when not everyone agrees that there even IS a "flaw". I will acknowledge that there are people who are not pleased with how the notifications work for this O/S and that they have a right to their opinion on the subject. Whether they are right in insisting that this MUST be addressed quickly however is something that I would consider to be a bit more open to interpretation...

KingCrimson

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
Oh god, I couldn't care less about notifications. What I really don't like right now in Windows Phone is the hardware is 2 generations behind the industry leaders. How can they expect a person to want to buy a phone that is state-of-the-art for 2009 when you can get a iPhone 4S or Galaxy Nexus?

Big Supes

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
Oh god, I couldn't care less about notifications. What I really don't like right now in Windows Phone is the hardware is 2 generations behind the industry leaders. How can they expect a person to want to buy a phone that is state-of-the-art for 2009 when you can get a iPhone 4S or Galaxy Nexus?

But, the hardware requirements aren't the same of the competition. Mango runs as smooth as a baby buttock, so why over do it on the hardware, whilst losing the price appeal?

After having a friendly bit of banter with a friend of mine who owns an iPhone 4, he said he would have actually gone with WP if he had known about it... and here's the best bit, when I told him what my tariff was he was kicking himself!

My only criticism at this stage is the lack of support for expandable storage... and memory storage on the whole; needed 32GB....

... we digress.

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I think the 2nd Gen hardware is right up there with both Android/iOS. If someone says their phone has a dual core processor, you should ask them, "and what does that do for you?" I bet they will have no answer.

KingCrimson

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
I think the 2nd Gen hardware is right up there with both Android/iOS. If someone says their phone has a dual core processor, you should ask them, "and what does that do for you?" I bet they will have no answer.

My only question for you is there any Windows Phone that can play a game like Infinite Blade II, record 1080p video or take super high quality photos like the iPhone 4S? Not to mention you can get built-in 64GB storage and no WP goes higher then 32GB with micro SD card.

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
At least describe (for the benefit of everyone's time) 'why' you think the notifications are weak...

Here's what I don't like about the notifications: Say I'm using board express to read wpcentral. I get a toast notification from words by post. I click on the notification, go to the game, make my move. Long-press back button and I switch back to wpcentral. What if I don't want to go to the game and make a move at that time? The notification is gone and I have to actually go to words by post. What if I'm reading wpcentral and I get an email? No toast notification, so I have to go to the start screen and open the email app. These are small details, but it would be so nice if every app gave a toast notification and they stayed in a pull-down menu similar to android. Don't get me wrong, I make do and I have no desire for another platform, but these are the things that bug me about the WP notifications.

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
I actually like the idea of the messaging tile shoeing a pic of who texted you, or it could show you their name and part of the message last received... All good ideas. Possible MS just didn't think of it, or did and felt it would be too similar too the people hub...

Sent from my HD7 using Board Express

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
@scottcraft you can set up a tone for emails, but yah a toast would be nice. I'm a welder, so I don't generally get urgent work emails thus it matters less to me, but the option would be nice for corporate types. With all the other office considerations WP makes, this seems like a big oversight...

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
My only question for you is there any Windows Phone that can play a game like Infinite Blade II, record 1080p video or take super high quality photos like the iPhone 4S? Not to mention you can get built-in 64GB storage and no WP goes higher then 32GB with micro SD card.

Well I have a friend with a rezound and it does the 1080P and has super screen resolution and a really good camera and has an sd card slot that supports 32 GB. I dont want it because its VZN and Android. Personal reasons for VZN unrelated to Android and android because its .. well.. android

apRPhle

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
But, the hardware requirements aren't the same of the competition. Mango runs as smooth as a baby buttock, so why over do it on the hardware, whilst losing the price appeal?

After having a friendly bit of banter with a friend of mine who owns an iPhone 4, he said he would have actually gone with WP if he had known about it... and here's the best bit, when I told him what my tariff was he was kicking himself!

First of all, I do agree with you, but a majority of consumers aren't tech savvy. I wouldn't even say tech savvy is the right word, most consumers simply don't do their research when buying things. They walk into a store and either go straight to the iPhone or an Android phone. If they were to walk into the store and start playing with a windows phone, a sales associate would quickly tell them that it's only a single core processor and that an android phone has dual core, along with 1080p video, a front facing camera, apps apps apps and etc. Once they hear that, its over! Most consumers don't realize that a windows phone doesn't need to have dual core to run really smooth, they just think more is better.

People like you, me and any other person that participates in the forums on sites such as wpcentral, imore, androidcentral, webosnation, and crackberry are what I call knowledgeable consumers but compared to consumers as a whole, it's only a small percentage. Thus, in order to appeal to the masses and maximize profit and recognition, I feel that windows phone would benefit from enhancing their phone specs. IT'S ALL ABOUT HARDWARE, HARDWARE sells when it comes to regular consumers, 4.3 inch display is better than 3.7 inch, dual core is better than single core, FFC is better than no FFC (EVEN THOUGH PEOPLE RARELY USE IT! My brother has an iPhone and I asked him how many times he's used his FFC, he said none, what's the point? None of my friends do it.) and etc.

Perfect example is webOS, great software but horrific hardware. If webOS and even Mango, were on phones such as the Samsung Galaxy Nexus, there is no doubt in my mind that they would be equal in market share with respect to iOS and Android...maybe even surpass one of them. If Android came out with Palm Pre hardware, they wouldn't even be around now, b/c their software wasn't that great in the beginning, but that's just my opinion.

Im very interested in seeing how the Nokia Lumia 900 will do in the U.S but the fact that it's single core makes me think it won't do as well. I'm personally waiting to get the 900 myself but once again, I know that a majority of consumers will look elsewhere. Why? Not because it has windows mango on it...it's bc 2 > 1 (i.e. core processor). Who knows, maybe Nokia will reveal something totally different at CES this week, like a QUAD CORE Lumia 1000, hahaha.

Last edited:

mhans311

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site

Why do you always pull the infinite blade card? The percentage of people who want to play games like that is very very small. Also, who want to record at 1080p when it looks crappy? There is not a cell phone on the market right now that has good 1080p recording capabilities. It looks no better than 720p to me.

Keep in mind, I am a huge android fan. I am giving WP a go, but I kept my droid x as a backup in case I don't like WP too much. I have been very impressed with my Trophy so far and wp is much smoother than any rom I tried in my droid x.

Sent from my Trophy using Board Express

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
@scottcraft you can set up a tone for emails, but yah a toast would be nice. I'm a welder, so I don't generally get urgent work emails thus it matters less to me, but the option would be nice for corporate types. With all the other office considerations WP makes, this seems like a big oversight...

I have a separate tone for emails. Most of my emails are notifications from forums such as this one. I can make do with it as it is, but toasts for everything would be nice. I prefer WP notifications to pre-iOS 5 iphones though.

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
Wp7 is fine the way it is.. And competes at 100%. Any one who say or thinks otherwise is mistinformed and that's your lost... If u simply don't like it move on n hold your tongue..

Sent from my SGH-i917R using Board Express

Forgewizard

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
wp is much smoother than any rom I tried in my droid x.

YES! BINGO!
I don't have to try ANY custom ROMS to be happy with my WP7 Mango HTC Arrive! I haven't had to Doctor it, install UBER anything, or overclock the CPU like I did to my Palm Pre. It has simply worked straight out of the box and with the Mango update! There are a few things I've suggested changes for on UserVoice and with the Marketplace suggestion app, but all in all the stability of this platform has me enjoying my cell phone again. I don't feel like I am in a love/hate relationship!

While having a phone that integrates with gaming apps is cool for some - I'd say the majority of people use a cell phone to communicate socially - WP7 takes THIS into account.

The second largest set of people using cell phones would likely be the corporate/business folks and WP7 has lots of on board tools to keep them running smooth.

Those who get a cell phone as a status symbol or fashion accessory are likely to give WP7 a pass, unless they are the type that like to be cutting edge and stand out from the crowd.

Gamers, well - sorry- do they really count? Its a cell PHONE - right? Aren't there already portable gaming devices? Aren't games on cell phones designed to pass the time when stuck in checkout lines, waiting at doctors offices or to keep kids entertained on car trips?

Cheers!

Why do you always pull the infinite blade card? The percentage of people who want to play games like that is very very small. Also, who want to record at 1080p when it looks crappy? There is not a cell phone on the market right now that has good 1080p recording capabilities. It looks no better than 720p to me.

Keep in mind, I am a huge android fan. I am giving WP a go, but I kept my droid x as a backup in case I don't like WP too much. I have been very impressed with my Trophy so far and wp is much smoother than any rom I tried in my droid x.

Sent from my Trophy using Board Express

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
Drives me nuts when I'm using the browser and I hit the Windows button to do something else quick. Do what I need to do and hit IE from the homescreen. Now hit back, thinking you'll load the previous webpage, but no, back to the homescreen. Makes no sense and so annoying.

Big Supes

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
Here's what I don't like about the notifications: Say I'm using board express to read wpcentral. I get a toast notification from words by post. I click on the notification, go to the game, make my move. Long-press back button and I switch back to wpcentral. What if I don't want to go to the game and make a move at that time? The notification is gone and I have to actually go to words by post. What if I'm reading wpcentral and I get an email? No toast notification, so I have to go to the start screen and open the email app. These are small details, but it would be so nice if every app gave a toast notification and they stayed in a pull-down menu similar to android. Don't get me wrong, I make do and I have no desire for another platform, but these are the things that bug me about the WP notifications.

That makes sense, especially if you're coming over from Android. Personally, I manage to multitask just fine on WP, but we're all so different in how we navigate and interact with UI's. For example, if I'm in the middle of something and I get toast, I read it and prioritise whether or not I want to attend to it. If it can wait, I'll continue what I'm doing, then simply hit the start button and open whatever application is needed. I do agree that some minor little touches need to be added to the notification system on WP though.

I have to admit, I was impressed with my friends iPhone 4S's notification system under screen lock. Missed calls were acknowledged through the 'slide to unlock' function.

First of all, I do agree with you, but a majority of consumers aren't tech savvy. I wouldn't even say tech savvy is the right word, most consumers simply don't do their research when buying things. They walk into a store and either go straight to the iPhone or an Android phone. If they were to walk into the store and start playing with a windows phone, a sales associate would quickly tell them that it's only a single core processor and that an android phone has dual core, along with 1080p video, a front facing camera, apps apps apps and etc. Once they hear that, its over! Most consumers don't realize that a windows phone doesn't need to have dual core to run really smooth, they just think more is better.

People like you, me and any other person that participates in the forums on sites such as wpcentral, imore, androidcentral, webosnation, and crackberry are what I call knowledgeable consumers but compared to consumers as a whole, it's only a small percentage. Thus, in order to appeal to the masses and maximize profit and recognition, I feel that windows phone would benefit from enhancing their phone specs. IT'S ALL ABOUT HARDWARE, HARDWARE sells when it comes to regular consumers, 4.3 inch display is better than 3.7 inch, dual core is better than single core, FFC is better than no FFC (EVEN THOUGH PEOPLE RARELY USE IT! My brother has an iPhone and I asked him how many times he's used his FFC, he said none, what's the point? None of my friends do it.) and etc.

Perfect example is webOS, great software but horrific hardware. If webOS and even Mango, were on phones such as the Samsung Galaxy Nexus, there is no doubt in my mind that they would be equal in market share with respect to iOS and Android...maybe even surpass one of them. If Android came out with Palm Pre hardware, they wouldn't even be around now, b/c their software wasn't that great in the beginning, but that's just my opinion.

Im very interested in seeing how the Nokia Lumia 900 will do in the U.S but the fact that it's single core makes me think it won't do as well. I'm personally waiting to get the 900 myself but once again, I know that a majority of consumers will look elsewhere. Why? Not because it has windows mango on it...it's bc 2 > 1 (i.e. core processor). Who knows, maybe Nokia will reveal something totally different at CES this week, like a QUAD CORE Lumia 1000, hahaha.

I think you've hit the nail on the head, which leaves the question: so what is the solution? Do MS up the system requirements for WP, whilst increasing the price dramatically of an OS that needs to attract more of the marketshare? I'm not sure that's the best way forward, TBH, although I wouldn't be surprised if that worked due to sales staff pushing it more due to higher commission rates. Also, a lot of people want the best and they make that judgement based on price.

Since joining this forum and lurking on various others, something I've noticed is this bizarre hatred for MS, which seems to be focused in the US. Don't get me wrong, I've been well aware of their negative press for a long time, but up until now, I've realised that a lot of it seems to be a US thing. I can honestly say that, not once has a phone rep attempted to steer me away from WP, here in the UK... and I routinely walk into mobile phone stores when I'm out and about. Actually, it was an Orange phone rep that steered my away from BB and hooked me up with a WP. :) The only negative thing I can say is their lack of product knowledge.

Big Supes

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
Drives me nuts when I'm using the browser and I hit the Windows button to do something else quick. Do what I need to do and hit IE from the homescreen. Now hit back, thinking you'll load the previous webpage, but no, back to the homescreen. Makes no sense and so annoying.

Tad annoying, yes. Just remember to hit 'recent'. :)

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
Tad annoying, yes. Just remember to hit 'recent'. :)

That is a solution, it just isnt intuitive at all. Not only that, no other Applications behave that way. If you go back to any other App and hit back, it goes back, not close. I dont know if its a bug or an oversight. Thanks for the reply though.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb