Bing Maps

will_solo

Nov 30, 2011
Visit site
So while with my girlfriend yesterday (who uses a BB and loves her google maps) we were trying to get directions using my Titan. Once we got the directions, we tried to go through the directions by tapping on the next step but it would always start back to the first step. Nothing would allow it to go to the next step. I tried this another time while I was at home and it did the same thing. I could not move to the next step for directions. Is there something I am doing wrong? I just find this a little irritating and I am really missing my google maps that I had on my Blackberry.

cgk

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
So while with my girlfriend yesterday (who uses a BB and loves her google maps) we were trying to get directions using my Titan. Once we got the directions, we tried to go through the directions by tapping on the next step but it would always start back to the first step. Nothing would allow it to go to the next step. I tried this another time while I was at home and it did the same thing. I could not move to the next step for directions. Is there something I am doing wrong? I just find this a little irritating and I am really missing my google maps that I had on my Blackberry.

I've had the same problems plus it's just generally very slow, we tried to use for directions in a situation last week and got totally lost. Just go into the market and download gmaps for a superior experience.

Justin.TV312

Banned
Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
I've had the same problems plus it's just generally very slow, we tried to use for directions in a situation last week and got totally lost. Just go into the market and download gmaps for a superior experience.

must've done something wrong yourself. Never had that happen with Bing maps

Mike-Mike

Oct 14, 2011
Visit site
are you talking about using the Maps built in app? Or putting an address into Bing and getting directions?

They may be the same thing, but I'm not sure, since I never used Maps. But I have used Bing to get directions to people in my address book. I find this integrated feature to be pretty great. It's quick and easy, I've had no mistakes at this point, and it's much less of a battery hog than Telenav

seriousdave

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
Were you actually moving? The directions come up numbered. After you pass each number the next number becomes available for spoken directions by tapping. If you were at home, not driving past the numbers, it will default to step 1.
If you just want to read all the steps to see the route, just scroll through the directions list manually.

Sent from my Titan

enahs555

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
I think it waits to allow you to click the next one and tell you what to do, after you reach the actual current checkpoint. So no, you can not use it just sitting there!

wolf1891

May 12, 2011
Visit site
Were you actually moving? The directions come up numbered. After you pass each number the next number becomes available for spoken directions by tapping. If you were at home, not driving past the numbers, it will default to step 1.
If you just want to read all the steps to see the route, just scroll through the directions list manually.

Sent from my Titan

this. it's not going to advance through the steps until you actually move past those checkpoints.

will_solo

Nov 30, 2011
Visit site
this. it's not going to advance through the steps until you actually move past those checkpoints.
don't you think that's a little dumb? With google maps on my blackberry (i know it's a different program in it's own right) I was able to press 6 to see the next step of my directions. I know obviously to turn left on the first few street to get to the freeway, but its when I am on the freeway that I want to know what's next. Thats what I am saying, I don't want it to just give me the next directions when I get to the next point.

CHIP72

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
don't you think that's a little dumb? With google maps on my blackberry (i know it's a different program in it's own right) I was able to press 6 to see the next step of my directions. I know obviously to turn left on the first few street to get to the freeway, but its when I am on the freeway that I want to know what's next. Thats what I am saying, I don't want it to just give me the next directions when I get to the next point.

With Bing Maps, you can view all directions step by step, but to get voice directions, you need to be physically moving along the route or between your origin point and destination point.

Check the "Local Scout" tile (which should have been preloaded on your WP) and select a nearby attraction that preloads into the tile based on your location. You should see what I mean.

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
I'm not having this issue. Using the Maps app I can just map to a location then in the written list of directions just slide the directions up to the next step and the map will move on its own to the corresponding location on the map.

If you are still having issues there are many other mapping options like gmaps in prices ranging from free to very good GPS like options like Navegon.

will_solo

Nov 30, 2011
Visit site
I'm not having this issue. Using the Maps app I can just map to a location then in the written list of directions just slide the directions up to the next step and the map will move on its own to the corresponding location on the map.

If you are still having issues there are many other mapping options like gmaps in prices ranging from free to very good GPS like options like Navegon.
I know if you slide up that I can read the directions. I just find it dumb that in order to get voice directions I have to be moving. So lets say when I am approaching a place where I need to turn and I lose signal, there is a possibilty that I will miss that turn because it wasn't able to see my location. I would like for there to be an option to be able to still hear the directions with the press of a button. Cause like I said before, I know how to get to the freeway for example. It's after that I want to know where I go. I guess Gmaps it is.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05