Live/Hotmail vs Gmail for data management

masherro

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
This may be a repeat but I could not find it...

I regularly use both live.com and Gmail. Both work well within my expectations. However, the live.com email seems to be just a bit more efficient at managing my calendar and contacts than my Gmail does. Am I crazy or is hotmail actually better?

Here's where a potential problem lies for me: I use Google Apps for Business and my Company email is facilitated by Gmail. Given cost factors, I am unable to move to Microsoft Exchange and Hotmail doesn't appear to offer a similar service. Any thoughts or feedback?

KingCrimson

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
Gmail is way better with threaded conversations, nested labels, calendar widget and multiple layouts. We'll see what the latest Hotmail iteration brings.

Major

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
I like Gmail better, but Hotmail is not a complete dog, either. I just wish stuff would update in the cloud with Hotmail/Live as fast as it does with Gmail. Gmail is instant.

o4liberty

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
I use both and I like live better. I had a lot of issues with android devices and Gmail. I wasn't getting my email fast enough and depending on the device I was using sometimes it took hours. With windows so far it consistent.

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
I used outlook for most of my proffesional life and when I switched to windows phone and could nmot direct sync I was taken aback after years on windows mobile. But I have adapted to using the hotmail calendar I still use outlook for email but I have my office email and my msn.com hotmail address linked and I am ling it a lot. The addition of to dos in the live calendar is a big help I just wish they would renamne it tasks instead of to dos then it would at least named the same as outlook. I am to the point where if they bring back direct sync with outlook it would be okay but if they dont I can live without it. I have two gmail accounts and toyed with the idea of using ggogle calendar but it seems to be pretty much the same so I probably wont do it.

enahs555

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
I use gmail for email, and live for everything else. Really like the skydrive, and Windows Live Mesh to sync folders on PC (like dropbox, but more free space)!, with built in nice web access to Skydrive. The Windows Live Calendar I like because it is nicely integrated with phone, and I got a cool little desktop gadget that displays the Live calendar, and so if I update it on my phone (or desktop) the other places shows the change, etc.

Justin.TV312

Banned
Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
Without a doubt hotmail is the best. Provides the most storage,easiest to use ,doesn't bog down and crash web browsers and doesn't mess up quality of contact pictures like Gmail does. Anyone who says otherwise must be on something

masherro

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
Thank you everyone. I actually ended up reaching out to a contact at Microsoft and found what I am looking for. It's Office Live for Small Business. It looks to be the perfect choice for me. I appreciate the feedback.

alaskanjackson

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
Used both for private and business, our IT guy spends a large amount of time "fixing" our inexpensive gmail scheduling/calendar. Because of that and security concerns we will be switching to ms exchange later in the spring. Personally, my wife and I switched back to Hotmail for email etc recently because of the ease of use with our new phones, I do keep a gmail account for email info requests and not that it matters but gmail is dated in appearance and functionality.

*you must of posted as I was typing, "alls well that ends well"

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
Thank you everyone. I actually ended up reaching out to a contact at Microsoft and found what I am looking for. It's Office Live for Small Business. It looks to be the perfect choice for me. I appreciate the feedback.

Is that Office 365 with the built in Exchange server capability? I have looked at that for 6.00 a month.

cgk

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
I set up a trial account yesterday for that, I perfer gmail to hotmail but will give 365 a trial and see what is like.

Last edited:

TGBmark1234

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
It's all down to personal taste. I use both.

I've never liked gmail's website, but only ever use it through my WP7 and Outlook. Hotmail's website is better and the integration with WP7 and Outlook is far superior.

But, that's just my opinion.

Mike-Mike

Oct 14, 2011
Visit site
I used Gmail on my BB and thought it was fine, but on the WP7, I definitely prefer Live.com. But I didn't have a live.com address on my BB, I only created that when I signed up for Zune.

S1NKING SH1PS

Aug 7, 2011
Visit site
I came to WP7 from Android, so I was using Gmail for all my stuff. But in the past few months I've had my WP, I've began moving everything over to Live and like it so much better. Both are really great, powerful tools, though, so it really does boil down to personal taste I think. I'm excited to see what the Live/Hotmail team comes up with this year.

N8ter

Banned
Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
It's all down to personal taste. I use both.

I've never liked gmail's website, but only ever use it through my WP7 and Outlook. Hotmail's website is better and the integration with WP7 and Outlook is far superior.

But, that's just my opinion.

Both use activesync. The only thing hotmail has is the connector for outlook but that thing is shoddy. You're better off just using Windows Live Mail which makes Hotmail function much like an Exchange account if run concurrently with WLM (can set it to start WLM when you start the mail app).

The thing I dislike about hotmail is the amount of spam and phishing emails I get there. Account security is a huge issue on Windows Live in my experience. Hotmail has a relatively bad reputation. That's why Microsoft tried to rebrand it like 50 times.

I use both and just keep things separated. I don't mind the extra work.

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Tapatalk

N8ter

Banned
Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
I use both and I like live better. I had a lot of issues with android devices and Gmail. I wasn't getting my email fast enough and depending on the device I was using sometimes it took hours. With windows so far it consistent.

Not sure if serious.

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Tapatalk

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99