Which new phone will have the best accessories?

RonV42

Jun 8, 2011
Visit site
With CES and MWC coming up I wonder which brand/phones will have the best selection of accessories for their Windows Phone line? I was excited when I saw that Nokia was going to have a dock for their new windows phone and that the HTC Titan even had one but when you look there isn't many windows phones that provide the full line of accessories.

One thing that makes me jealous is that when Motorola comes out with a new phone they have accessories for docking in the car and at home. Apple accessories are pretty much ubiquitous. When Samsung or HTC comes out with a phone the carrier usually only has one 3rd solution that really doesn't do the job very well. Usually nothing directly from the phone manufacturer.

With my contract coming up in a couple of months I would like to have a solution that docks at home for charging/nightstand, and then would allow me to dock easily in the car for GPS/Music use while charging. I don't want to play with plugging lose cables after docking just have the connector in the dock. Currently I love my Samsung focus but the 3rd party mount in my car and the hanging micro usb cable that I have to fiddle with is a big turn off.

enahs555

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
Well, most windows phones seem to have the power cable on the top! This I think it silly, because it makes docking and such impractical!

aubreyq

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
All these phones use microUSB connections. Are you suggesting docks/accessories with female USB connectors in a similar manner that Apple uses their proprietary connector?

aubreyq

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
Well, most windows phones seem to have the power cable on the top! This I think it silly, because it makes docking and such impractical!
Yep. Not having the connector in the same spot kind of makes it hard to make universal accessories for WP7.

Let's face it, the accessory market is owned by Apple and will continue to be like that for a while.

RonV42

Jun 8, 2011
Visit site
All these phones use microUSB connections. Are you suggesting docks/accessories with female USB connectors in a similar manner that Apple uses their proprietary connector?
Samsung has the USB on top for one phone and HTC on the side. The best places are the bottom or side since that is how you would dock the phone right?

I know on the Zune docks they way they handed the different dimensions of their devices was to have a "plate" for the type of device and the male connector in the dock would slide left and right to align with the plate.

How hard would it be for Samsung, Nokia, and HTC to come to some type agreement here just to make the USB connection on the same edge of the device?

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I would guess that Nokia will end up having the best accessory line. I say this mainly because Nokia is "all-in" with Windows Phone. So I would imagine that they would have to make their phone lineup as enticing as possible.

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site

The focus s is on the bottom which I think is the ideal place to have them. the HTC is on the side and has/is getting a horizontal dock so you could use the device as an alarm clock. Not sure where the Nokia is As far as other accessories none of the phones seem to have a whole lot of accesories so far especially the 2nd generation devices.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graceevans