So frustrated with Verizon.

Judge_Daniel

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
I think today has been the most I've been mad at Verizon in a while. Seeing that AT&T is getting a Titan II, while Verizon still has the Trophy is like they are spitting in the face of Microsoft and WP consumers. I wish AT&T would let me move over unlimited data from Verizon. I'd even be willing to double my current contract rates to get it.

Umm Yeah

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
I had been holding out for the second generation WP phones since last April to replace my aging BlackBerry. I like the Trophy but I was hopeful that there would be some amazing phones coming to Verizon, which I have to stay with for my work. I gave up waiting about a month or two ago and just re-upped with Verizon on a new BB 9850. I would have preferred to have a WP phone but it was becoming obvious that Verizon isn't interested yet in supporting WP phones.

I'm hoping that when my contract is up, I will have a choice of WP8 phones on Verizon to choose from, but that won't happen unless AP7.5 phones take off on AT&T and the other carriers. While I'm stuck on Verizon, I do hope a LOT of you jump ship to AT&T and let Verizon know you are leaving because of their lack of support for WP devices.

I wish I could join you, but even though I can't, I do share your frustration. :mad:

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I'm not all that confident that Verizon will have very good WP8 offerings now.

When WP8 comes out, I wouldn't be surprised to see several Hero-type devices come out for AT&T, with a few lower-end models for Verizon.

red grenadine

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
Verizon is the Droid carrier. They are married to that and the new iPhone in the way AT&T used to be with Apple and the way Sprint currently is with Apple.

Here's their lineup:

Droid 3, Droid 4, Droid Bionic, Droid Incredible, Droid Incredible 2, Droid Charge, Droid Razr, Droid Razr Maxx, Droid X2, Droid Pro

(Just think: I post on a cell phone message board and I can't keep any of these straight and/or differentiate them between each other. The normal person has no chance)

AT&T (and T-Mobile) are the carriers looking for a new phone to push. AT&T looks to be doing that with the Titan and the Lumia 900. Hopefully T-Mobile gets some love

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
De la Vega mentioned in an interview that he could see LTE bands that support multiple carriers coming to phones in the near future. So that gives me hope that there might be something going on with AT&T and T-Mobile partnering up to share spectrum. And then that would mean that AT&T phones, when unlocked, would work on T-Mobile.

Let's hope that's the case.

Premium1

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
Verizon is the Droid carrier. They are married to that and the new iPhone in the way AT&T used to be with Apple and the way Sprint currently is with Apple.

Here's their lineup:

Droid 3, Droid 4, Droid Bionic, Droid Incredible, Droid Incredible 2, Droid Charge, Droid Razr, Droid Razr Maxx, Droid X2, Droid Pro

droid 3, pro, inc, all are EOL. They are more about "android" than just "droid" they have plenty of android top of the line phones( nexus, rezound, spectrum)

CHIP72

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
Verizon is, IMO, a conservative carrier that prefers to focus on building and improving its infrastructure rather than having the latest and greatest phones. (The reason they have the latest and greatest Android phones right now is that a lot of manufacturers want to show off high spec Android smartphones that have 4G LTE.) They, much more so than AT&T, want proof that they should support a platform and want manufacturers/mobile OS developers to come to them rather than the other way around. When Windows Phones start taking off, which I think will start happening later this year, I think we'll see Verizon step up to the plate with greater support.

I realize the above is somewhat self-serving to say, considering I'm a Verizon customer with a Windows Phone and want Windows Phone to succeed in a big way. Don't get me wrong, Verizon's current tepid attitude towards Windows Phone annoys me too. However, when you look at things objectively, historically-speaking Verizon has usually lagged in its phone lineup, due to (IMO) the aforementioned conservatism. I've really only been following smartphone goings-on since I bought my Droid 2 in December 2010, so people can correct me if I'm wrong, but when has Verizon been cutting edge in supporting a new platform? They weren't the first carrier with the iPhone and it took them 4 years to get the iPhone. They weren't the first carrier with an Android phone, and to my knowledge they didn't really start getting behind Android until the Droid 1 became a big hit. They weren't the first carrier with a webOS phone, and though they are a carrier for the Palm Pre 2 (and would have been one for the HP Pre 3), they never aggressively pursued webOS devices. Finally, they didn't have (or do have) the broad array of Blackberry devices that some other carriers have (to my knowledge they've never had a portrait slider Blackberry Torch for example). The way Verizon is handling Windows Phone right now is not inconsistent with how they've handled every other mobile OS. In time, I think we'll see Verizon give solid support to Windows Phone, and if WP does legitimately become the 3rd primary mobile OS, IMO Verizon will step up their support accordingly.

Last edited:

DaveGx

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
I guess WP fans that are Verizon customers now know what it was like to be a Verizon customer who wanted the iPhone not too long ago.

That was a bit different though. ATT had a special contract with Apple over the Iphone until the last couple years or so. As soon as Verizon could start selling the Iphone, they did. Perhaps Im wrong but thats how I remember it.

Verizon now is absolutely shunning WP7. Its almost as if they are getting paid off by Google or Apple to stick it to WP7 and do the absolute bare minimum. WP7 devices would absolutely take off towards the sky if Verizon started to even act like it cared and picked up some high end devices.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
That was a bit different though. ATT had a special contract with Apple over the Iphone until the last couple years or so. As soon as Verizon could start selling the Iphone, they did. Perhaps Im wrong but thats how I remember it.

Verizon now is absolutely shunning WP7. Its almost as if they are getting paid off by Google or Apple to stick it to WP7 and do the absolute bare minimum. WP7 devices would absolutely take off towards the sky if Verizon started to even act like it cared and picked up some high end devices.

But for all we know, AT&T might have come to an agreement with Nokia for exclusivity of the 900 series for a certain period of time.

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
Exclusive phones are NORMALY for set period of time.

but by the time the contract between ATT and nokia ends. they already have better phones out. so time frames dont change much

LTE phones are not being rushed out cause on most part LTE is useless. the only advantage to LTE is Download speeds... but it has 100 Disadvantages.

so stop worrying about not having LTE, your actually better off. ( for now any ways and probly an other year or so )

wanting LTE now is like wanting a 3D TV when they first came out ... nothing but problems.

jleebiker

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
Exclusive phones are NORMALY for set period of time.

but by the time the contract between ATT and nokia ends. they already have better phones out. so time frames dont change much

LTE phones are not being rushed out cause on most part LTE is useless. the only advantage to LTE is Download speeds... but it has 100 Disadvantages.

so stop worrying about not having LTE, your actually better off. ( for now any ways and probly an other year or so )

wanting LTE now is like wanting a 3D TV when they first came out ... nothing but problems.

I kinda have to disagree. Apps are getting more and more data intensive, I'm making a distinction here between an app that needs some connectivity and one that needs as much as it can get. I'm finding that I am doing more with apps that need as much bandwidth as I can get; remote desktop, streaming media being the 2 biggest. The other stuff will work fine over 3G speeds. It's just that sometimes I need as much bandwidth as I can get.

As far as VZW, I agree that their business model is one that is not focused on innovation. They don't necessarily go for the latest and greatest innovative product. Look back at their history. Like it has been said, they are a very conservative company, but guess what, it seems to be working for them. In the US, they have the biggest market share. There's no arguing that. Me personally though, I think I will change to ATT. They are carrying the devices I want and more than that, they are listening to what their customers want. Yeah, they may not have the largest 4G network, and it probably doesn't work in my area, but I'll make do somehow. I guess we'll see what happens...

bigkevbosky

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
Maybe some of you VZW people should move to AT&T. I hated AT&T when I had an iPhone, but haven't had a problem with them on any of their other devices. Its true the data speeds could be better on 3G and HSPA+ but its fast enough to do most tasks like stream music and download podcasts in a reasonable amount of time.

Siah1214

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
I'd move to AT&T but their coverage is lacking compared to Verizon. They have the largest network, period, and it shows...I'll be on a road trip to some remote area, I'll have 2 or 3 bars of 3G and my Sprint and AT&T friends have nothing, can't even send a text.
While it's nice to have a nice smartphone, it doesn't help when the phone part stops working as soon as you leave a major metropolitan area.

CHIP72

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
As far as VZW, I agree that their business model is one that is not focused on innovation. They don't necessarily go for the latest and greatest innovative product. Look back at their history. Like it has been said, they are a very conservative company, but guess what, it seems to be working for them. In the US, they have the biggest market share. There's no arguing that.

I think Verizon IS focused on innovation, but it is infrastructure innovation (i.e. 4G LTE, probably 4G LTE Advanced in the future, and even FiOS), not phone "innovation" (which isn't really innovation or a lack thereof on the part of Verizon as much as it may be an unwillingness to buy phones from manufacturers unless they feel confident they will sell). Keep in mind that Verizon views itself as an infrastructure company first (and probably second and third) before it views itself as a phone supplier and retailer.

CNET just posted an article saying that all future Verizon devices will be 4G LTE-capable (no surprise in that announcement at all), and that Verizon does intend to support Windows Phone. Though it is frustrating to almost everybody (including me) that Verizon has dragged their feet on Windows Phone, I think we'll start seeing some good/very good WP devices on Verizon by the second half of 2012.

Premium1

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
I think Verizon IS focused on innovation, but it is infrastructure innovation (i.e. 4G LTE, probably 4G LTE Advanced in the future, and even FiOS), not phone "innovation" (which isn't really innovation or a lack thereof on the part of Verizon as much as it may be an unwillingness to buy phones from manufacturers unless they feel confident they will sell). Keep in mind that Verizon views itself as an infrastructure company first (and probably second and third) before it views itself as a phone supplier and retailer.

CNET just posted an article saying that all future Verizon devices will be 4G LTE-capable (no surprise in that announcement at all), and that Verizon does intend to support Windows Phone. Though it is frustrating to almost everybody (including me) that Verizon has dragged their feet on Windows Phone, I think we'll start seeing some good/very good WP devices on Verizon by the second half of 2012.

If that CNET article is true does that mean the 710 will have lte when it comes to verizon? Do you have a link to the article?

Last edited:

DaveGx

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
I really dont get it with these carriers. Unless they are really beholden to a particular company like Apple/Google, why not try and get the best possible phone you can for all manufacturers/OS's?

It would do nothing but increase sales and customer satisfaction. For Verizon to be such a pain in the *** about WP7 is just mind boggling to me. What is so damn hard about saying yes Nokia, HTC, Samsung we want a top of the line WP7 phone to sell?! And why would you not want that?

And dont give me the crap that its not selling well. You cant come out with a behind the times phone and then say "well, its not doing well enough".... Maybe if you come out with a top of the line phone for WP7 it will sell. Heck, I can almost guarantee it would sell. Had Verizon picked up something like the Nokia 900, it would fly off the shelves. A big win for Nokia, Verizon, and huge for WP7.

This is just so frustrating. I really want to more improved device and I want Windows Phones to succeed. I strongly believe that if Verizon did what it should Windows Phones would REALLY start to take off.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss