05-02-2012 08:09 AM
90 1234
tools
    Dude theres a story here in the news that ATT may be showing off a Windows 84G LTE tablet as CES next freaking week!!!! New devices from Nokia and probably HTC Radiant may be shown as well. The Samsung Mendel (in all likelyhood the samsung I-667 has passed BT certification with LTE radio and ATT bands maybe it will show up at CES if not WMC ion February. Theres an update bug fix sent to carriers for testing. There's a pre Tango post Mango build with LTE support thats coming in the Nokia 900 they're showing all kinds of stuff Stale no way man no way near stale!
    LTE? Im in the UK 4G/LTE is a way off here, means very little atm, the rest of your points are not about specific features, a pre Tango release? So that's a pre (Bug Fixing) release? Exciting times, I'll look forward to my keyboard sticking around then.
    Premium1 likes this.
    01-05-2012 11:33 PM
    You guys are in store for some heartache. I say Apollo won't be coming to 1st Gen devices. Tango probably, but not Apollo. Faster CPUs are need for higher quality games. Idk how u can be against better optics.

Sent from my SGH-i917 using Board Express
    So what is it that makes you think Apollo won't come to 1st Gen devices?
    01-06-2012 12:18 AM
    It can always be a limited version, like what iOS does for older iOS devices... The gen 1 devices are already long in the tooth I doubt i can keep this HD7 until contract renewal. I can even scroll PDF files smoothly on the thing. It's getting frustrating :-(

Really I want to go down to one phone, and the feature disparity is not working in wp7's favor there for me. I am going to ETF all my lines and move to AT&T next month so they have until then to dish sone details about Apollo, specs, and devices. They aren't in a position to be hush about this. Unproven platforms need to tell users what to look forward to...

I won't hesitate to get an iOS or Android devices otherwise, and I won't look back cause I'm tired of holding back buying apps and media because of the potential platform migration.

Basically my next purchase is going to determine what platform I use until that platform dies. I need future proof specs and functionality in the OS, not another raincheck like when I bought my HD7.

Absolutely no more faith purchases. I'm over that.

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Tapatalk
    01-06-2012 12:57 AM
    :) Oh no, I wont be making any decisions now, in this instance anyway it wouldn't be a switch, just an addition. TBH this is the first time I've ever thought about iOS - despite being a hefty Photoshop user, I stay clear of Apple if possible, I detest the likes of iTunes and the closed down system they have - but as long as I have a WP7 device as well I'll be a happy bunny.

Yep it is as much about the optics, but also to me about MP - I need to take a lot of reference photos for the work I do, and not always have a proper camera with me, its important that I have a decent enough substitute. Of course I don't expect to do any proper work with a smartphone, but having a few simple options is nice.

WP7 is still getting forgotten about - how many times do you see apps being released for iOS and Android, with WP7 as "coming soon" or not at all? There are some really talented developers that have made some awesome apps for WP7, and it's been disappointing to see a couple drop development in the last few weeks.

Sad thing is, perhaps had it been another platform, their products would have been bought up by the big guns.
    It's worth noting that the Ace/900's camera could be the best to come.

Regarding apps... unfortunately, until WP claims more marketshare, it's something we have to put up with. Personally, coming from iPhone, I found that I didn't really use a lot of apps. Whatsapp, MyfitnessPal, and Spotify were the only apps I missed on Nodo and they're available to WP now, anyway.

I'm in a similar situation to you; due to upgrade in March. My only problem at this stage is working out which WP handset to hold out for. Going back to iPhone isn't an option for me (for ethical reasons, mainly) so I could end up 'sim free' until this fall (Apollo). One thing I can say for sure is that I'm currently putting my pennies away for a Windows 8 tablet.

It can always be a limited version, like what iOS does for older iOS devices... The gen 1 devices are already long in the tooth I doubt i can keep this HD7 until contract renewal. I can even scroll PDF files smoothly on the thing. It's getting frustrating :-(
    Wait... whaa? You must be on your 4th HD7 by now. I thought you got rid of the third replacement?

Really I want to go down to one phone, and the feature disparity is not working in wp7's favor there for me. I am going to ETF all my lines and move to AT&T next month so they have until then to dish sone details about Apollo, specs, and devices. They aren't in a position to be hush about this. Unproven platforms need to tell users what to look forward to...

I won't hesitate to get an iOS or Android devices otherwise, and I won't look back cause I'm tired of holding back buying apps and media because of the potential platform migration.
    hahaha the current understatement of 2012. :D

Basically my next purchase is going to determine what platform I use until that platform dies. I need future proof specs and functionality in the OS, not another raincheck like when I bought my HD7.

Absolutely no more faith purchases. I'm over that.

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Tapatalk
    I agree with this, although NO platform has me tied for life... [sarcasm]the messiah[/sarcasm] Steve Jobs discovered that.

I will continue to support MS as long as they keep making good products and, more importantly, continue to give me a fair deal. As soon as they start acting like Apple (which I'm pretty sure they won't)... I'll drop them like a bad habit.
    01-06-2012 04:51 AM
    While I still like the OS functionality-wise, I think the *look* could certainly go stale. I'm already getting a bit bored of the fact that (realistically, because I don't like neon pink etc.) I can have three or four homescreen tile colours and that's the limit of my customisation other than lockscreen wallpaper. Have a look at some of the fabulous design work done on deviantart for Android and jailbroken iOS devices for themes/lockscreens: it's a world that WP7 users don't get a look into, and even the limited customisation available via Chevron Unlock is now gone.

I think whatever other changes come in, MS need to allow more personalisation soon. It's the most locked down of any of the main mobile OSs, and the longer this goes on the more constricting it'll feel.
    1jaxstate1 likes this.
    01-06-2012 05:04 AM
    So what is it that makes you think Apollo won't come to 1st Gen devices?
    because that's when they will add support for "Super phones". Dual cores, more Ram, better screen resolution. I don't think it's gonna work on 1st Gen devices. My opinion only though, but it seems logical.

01-06-2012 05:53 AM
    because that's when they will add support for "Super phones". Dual cores, more Ram, better screen resolution. I don't think it's gonna work on 1st Gen devices. My opinion only though, but it seems logical.

Add support for, not demand support for. Windows phone will always support low and devices for a few reasons.

1. Nokia demands and needs it, most of their revenue comes from them
    2. Half of the push is for them to attract first time smart phone owners, this requires budget devices
    3. Tango is all partially about bringing lower end devices, it would be the death of the platform to release phones that would never see one update
    01-06-2012 07:07 AM
    While I still like the OS functionality-wise, I think the *look* could certainly go stale. I'm already getting a bit bored of the fact that (realistically, because I don't like neon pink etc.) I can have three or four homescreen tile colours and that's the limit of my customisation other than lockscreen wallpaper. Have a look at some of the fabulous design work done on deviantart for Android and jailbroken iOS devices for themes/lockscreens: it's a world that WP7 users don't get a look into, and even the limited customisation available via Chevron Unlock is now gone.

I think whatever other changes come in, MS need to allow more personalisation soon. It's the most locked down of any of the main mobile OSs, and the longer this goes on the more constricting it'll feel.
    I go backwards and forwards on this - sometimes I'd like to be able to change this stuff but then I think about all the time I wasted on Android getting the device just so and I think "I can't be bothered", I can understand why *users* want it but my concern would be that once you open that door, then *OEMs* start turning out their own skinned versions of WP7 and you get into that android mess of having to hack your device to get the 'windows experience'.
    01-06-2012 07:31 AM
    LTE? Im in the UK 4G/LTE is a way off here, means very little atm, the rest of your points are not about specific features, a pre Tango release? So that's a pre (Bug Fixing) release? Exciting times, I'll look forward to my keyboard sticking around then.
    The big markets will get LTE phones this year (starting with the Ace) and the rest will get Tango updates on 1st gen phones:D
    01-06-2012 07:51 AM
    There's a big difference between launcher-style skinning and allowing some more customization though. For example, I really can't believe it would be impossible not to offer semi-transparent tiles and wallpaper on the start screen (as some mockups have shown) and/or a more variable colour slider rather than a set list of colours right now, without the need for more than a very minor update to Mango.

That said, to be fair, I don't think any manufacturer has got the balance right between allowing tinkering and keeping the setup consistent. WebOS is/was probably the closest to date, and WebOS homebrew is fabulous. If Apple allowed jailbreaking just a little more openly (because they could lock it down overnight, but don't - which suggests to me that it's tolerated but they can't do more because then people would (wrongly) expect them to actively support it), that would be the perfect system. Everyone gets the same basic, fully-functional experience and can then make as few or as many tweaks as they like. I agree Android though is way too unrestricted - the fact that only a tiny, tiny percentage of devices have ICS and only a small percentage will EVER get it in a non-tweaked way is testament to that.
    01-06-2012 07:57 AM
    I go backwards and forwards on this - sometimes I'd like to be able to change this stuff but then I think about all the time I wasted on Android getting the device just so and I think "I can't be bothered", I can understand why *users* want it but my concern would be that once you open that door, then *OEMs* start turning out their own skinned versions of WP7 and you get into that android mess of having to hack your device to get the 'windows experience'.
    I'm the same, TBH. At the moment I'm leaning more towards the customisation side. I'd like to be able to some of the things Pronk is talking about. Transparent tiles with different background themes would be awesome.

Maybe, to keep things freed up, they could implement it into Zune. Once you connect via USB, you could click on a customise tab and demo different themes, etc, on the scaled picture of your handset (the one under the Phone heading).
    01-06-2012 09:58 AM
    Hmmm Im not too sure on the customisation part, I think it would work better to do something with transitions, showing your wallpaper behind the panes as they turn with a bi of blur etc. The flip effect is nice bit tiresome after a while needs some more variation. I think a colour picker for the tiles would be nice but with limits.

After a sleep Im back in favour with my phone. A tablet would be nice, but again were talking probably years until the creative apps could match the likes of the iPad. I could get an iPad but then wouldn't that be better with an iPhone? See the problem? They're losing an audience here. WP is awesome but struggling because of the head start Apple had. Same thing happening with Tablets.

Sent from my OMNIA7 using Board Express
    01-06-2012 10:39 AM
    If you look at ICS UI that is the new gold standard, Google has outdone themselves this time!
    Premium1 likes this.
    01-06-2012 12:49 PM
    Even if it was (which it isn't, IMO)... I wouldn't use it out of principle; Ice cream, what? Oohhh ha. ha. ha. Google have such wit when choosing model names, it's just killing me....

01-06-2012 01:48 PM
    I'm a fan of the way you can customize Android, but I've been unimpressed with ICS. I've only used it for a minute and seen hours of videos of it. I may have to use it extensively to appreciate it, but as of right now, I'm not overwhelmingly impressed.
    If you look at ICS UI that is the new gold standard, Google has outdone themselves this time!
    01-06-2012 01:53 PM
    oh boy... here we go again... :rolleyes:
    Big Supes likes this.
    01-06-2012 02:47 PM
    I think it's absolutely horrible - cold, unintuitive and unoriginal. Plus as there are no set icon/widget requirements or styles for Android, many of the elements of the UI will look jarringly out of place. And of course so few handsets will see it unadulterated its not really relevant what it looks like - most android users will be looking at HTC Sense, Samsung TouchWiz or whatever Mototola are using these days.
    01-06-2012 04:01 PM
    apps aren't everything
    Without apps you just have a feature phone. They are important and I want more apps.
    01-06-2012 04:35 PM
    Without apps you just have a feature phone. They are important and I want more apps.
    Plus without apps you have no developer support and essentially no lifeline for the OS. Look at RIM and WebOS
    01-06-2012 04:37 PM
    I like Touchwiz. A simple flash can handle all that though.
    I think it's absolutely horrible - cold, unintuitive and unoriginal. Plus as there are no set icon/widget requirements or styles for Android, many of the elements of the UI will look jarringly out of place. And of course so few handsets will see it unadulterated its not really relevant what it looks like - most android users will be looking at HTC Sense, Samsung TouchWiz or whatever Mototola are using these days.
    01-06-2012 04:38 PM
    Really I want to go down to one phone [after trying various mobile OS],...[and] Basically my next purchase is going to determine what platform I use until that platform dies.
    Even though I don't agree with your views on the Windows Phone, N8ter, I do respect what you are trying to do, in large part because that's also what I'm trying to do. My next upgrade is in August (though the 2 year mark is in December), and I hope to have my mind made up about my long-term mobile OS by the end of this year. For me personally, I've grown tired of Android OS lagginess; I think any future Android smartphone purchases, with the possible exception of buying a Samsung Stratosphere in the near future, will probably be Nexus devices. Though webOS probably won't be a player for future smartphones, I have some issues with webOS glitchiness (though I generally like webOS) and poor hardware, so I probably wouldn't move in that direction even if more webOS smartphones are released. With Windows Phone OS, I do have some issues with the lack of set-up options (which hopefully will be fixed in future OS updates) and problems with some live tiles, like the HTB Hub weather, not updating (though the latter issue is likely a HTC hardware/weak antenna issue rather than a WP OS issue). Finally with iOS, even though I haven't used it much yet, it is very annoying that I have to enter a password ANYTIME I download something from the app store. Mind you, there are positives about every operating system I mentioned above too (with Windows Phone OS having the most, at least to me right now), but the negatives may actually play a bigger role in my ultimate decision.

As for the original poster's comment, I say "what the heck do you want?" NO company is going to release a dramatically different operating system every 6 months just because people are getting bored with the current OS. The functionality of the mobile OS/hardware, whether it be through the user interface, how information is delivered, the available applications, and other things you can do to get information on the smartphone, are the things that make devices more or less useful and/or keep you entertained.
    01-06-2012 04:50 PM
    Plus without apps you have no developer support and essentially no lifeline for the OS. Look at RIM and WebOS
    Others can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Windows Phone OS already has more apps available than either Blackberry OS or webOS. Personally I think that is amazing considering the small number of people using Windows Phone OS devices and its relative newness compared to webOS and especially Blackberry OS. The relatively high number of apps available for Windows Phone OS, despite its small market share, IMO is probably a positive for the OS' long-term viability. I'm not a developer, but I'm guessing the relatively extensive app line-up indicates 1) WP OS is relatively easy to develop for and 2) many app developers have confidence is the future success of the platform.
    01-06-2012 04:56 PM
    I love the continued argument that there's no apps available for the platform.

The Marketplace passed 50k apps recently, showing a 400% year on year growth. The 50k number puts them beyond all other stores, including Ovi and RIM, other than Android and iOS obviously. Source.

Furthermore, the App Store saw similar growth in its first year. Source.

For the record, I am not saying there are enough apps, more is always good and there are some that would be of benefit to the platform. But it is useful to bare in mind that growth takes time, Windows Phone will lag behind Android and iPhone Stores for some time, Android is only now starting to catch up to iOS in terms of available apps.

It is also useful to note that it too over a year for iPhone to see a significant jump in sales. Source. There is no reason that Windows Phone won't follow a similar pattern given the forthcoming releases of Apollo, Windows 8 for PC and Tablet. This will be a big year for Microsoft.
    Big Supes likes this.
    01-06-2012 05:05 PM
    edit: ignore I am miles behind the conversation due to seeing a cached version.

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Board Express
    01-06-2012 06:09 PM
    I love the continued argument that there's no apps available for the platform.

The Marketplace passed 50k apps recently, showing a 400% year on year growth. The 50k number puts them beyond all other stores, including Ovi and RIM, other than Android and iOS obviously. Source.

Furthermore, the App Store saw similar growth in its first year. Source.

For the record, I am not saying there are enough apps, more is always good and there are some that would be of benefit to the platform. But it is useful to bare in mind that growth takes time, Windows Phone will lag behind Android and iPhone Stores for some time, Android is only now starting to catch up to iOS in terms of available apps.

It is also useful to note that it too over a year for iPhone to see a significant jump in sales. Source. There is no reason that Windows Phone won't follow a similar pattern given the forthcoming releases of Apollo, Windows 8 for PC and Tablet. This will be a big year for Microsoft.
    Except when the iPhone first came out smart phones weren't common place. Its 2012 now they are more common and pretty much everyone has one.
    Last edited by redraider133; 01-06-2012 at 08:08 PM.
    01-06-2012 06:24 PM
90 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD