The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
05-02-2012 08:09 AM
90 123 ...
tools
    Hi guys

I'm not sure if I'm alone in thinking this, and don't get me wrong I love my windows phone, but I can't help thinking that this lovely OS of ours is in danger of going stale.

Microsoft seem to be spending more time pushing Mango (which although is creditable) they really need to be showing us what they are working on now, and ASAP.

It seems an age since we first saw the first demos of Mango and new features that had been implemented, the drawn out wait for it's arrival, and now the excitement has gone.

Technology moves on so fast, and already Mango is outdated, the Facebook & Twitter integration is getting out of date with all the new features they've added recently. Top app developers are losing interest (Mehdoh & Metrotube). Still no news from the likes of Audible or Skype.

I love the OS, but really want to see where it's going, it's time for MS to start showing the enthusiasts what to expect from Tango & Apollo.

It doesn't help that the second wave of devices so far have hardly pushed the boat out hardware wise. I'm due an upgrade in May, and as yet there's nothing to really get excited about (apart from maybe the Ace) It feels like all the innovation is going elsewhere.

Metro in design, whilst beautiful and amazingly functional I feel is holding the platform back for developers. Everything is too big! You see devices such as the Titan, and they are really not being used to their full potential, how about a subset of Metro? scale it down, allow more bells & whistles. iOS has (albeit basic) video editing options, are we going to get anything like this? I can't imagine so. The options and the possibilities have to be there for every type of user, and the restrictive nature of WP in it's current form I think is turning developers away.

Staying positive & hoping for something exciting soon!
    01-05-2012 06:20 PM
    Creating an OS is incredibly complex. And the addition of new features must be balanced with stability and bug fixing. So there's a limit to how fast these new features can be rolled out. But the speed it has been rolling out has been pretty impressive in my opinion. Especially considering how smooth it has turned out.

It really hasn't been that long since we received Mango. And we're likely going to hear something about what's coming next by MWC next month.
    01-05-2012 06:27 PM
    Seriously? 6 months in with Mango and Tango coming, followed by Apollo later this year? WTF do you want?
    01-05-2012 06:28 PM
    i dont find it going stale at all . MS advertise new features ever week . and new system they are working on NONE STOP!!

read more on different forums and websites.... seems they have new news every other day.

and if you think MS is slow .. dont get an android or Iphone they even slower...

MS has MAJOR updates in 10-11months . as for IOS and Android are all over 12months.

I-OS 4 to I-OS 5 took 16months... BTW..... so how is MS going stale... if any one is going stale its Apple

MS is WAY faster at updating and adding feature then any other OS on the market right now.. dont even get me started on Rim they the worst

PS:

Tango = Basic bug fix and network updates .. nothing special.... guaranty... sorta like NODO only really gave us Copy/past..

maybe TANGO will give us CUT? ROLF

Apollo = WINDOWS 8!!!!!!

better ecosystem , and probly allot of feature that have the most votes in the Customer Feedback for Windows Phone section
    Last edited by Se1fcr3ation; 01-05-2012 at 06:45 PM.
    01-05-2012 06:35 PM
    Seriously? 6 months in with Mango and Tango coming, followed by Apollo later this year? WTF do you want?
    that's what I'm sayin.
    01-05-2012 06:40 PM
    Tango & Apollo are just names, we are yet to know what is coming - that is my point.

True it's not long since Mango was launched, but when was it first demoed? Must be 8-9 months or so back, and what has been shown since?

I suppose a lot comes down to everyone's own use, but I'm tempted atm to skip WP in March and go iOS. I work in my spare time in design, and the camera options and creative apps are a little behind what the competition offer, so this is quite a big deal for me.

If I was to get a Windows Phone, I'd likely get rid of my Omnia & have whatever I chose as a sole device. If I went for an iPhone they'd compliment each other, I'd keep both & it would fill the gaps.

By the time my next upgrade came around Apollo should be out, so I'd be able to take a fresh look at it then.

Edit --------------------------------
    It was things like this which once gave me more optimism (a year ago)
    http://mobilitydigest.com/video-edit...-7-via-trakax/
    Last edited by sHAYM4N; 01-05-2012 at 07:15 PM. Reason: Adding link
    01-05-2012 07:08 PM
    Tango & Apollo are just names, we are yet to know what is coming - that is my point.

True it's not long since Mango was launched, but when was it first demoed? Must be 8-9 months or so back, and what has been shown since?
    It was just a month ago that MS had the last of the Mango launch parties. Give it at least 2 months to settle in before they go promoting the next version.

You want more demos of the new features expected in the next iterations of the OS. Look at when the last demos were in 2011. And find those events in 2012. You'll likely see stuff there.

It looks like in the mean time, the announcements have mainly been about strengthening the ecosystem. Like the improvements to Skydrive. Or the XBOX Companion app. Not huge things. But the foundation is strengthening.

I suppose a lot comes down to everyone's own use, but I'm tempted atm to skip WP in March and go iOS. I work in my spare time in design, and the camera options and creative apps are a little behind what the competition offer, so this is quite a big deal for me.
    If you're a professional designer, you're likely not going to be doing that stuff on your phone. But if those apps are very important to you for other reasons, and you can't find a legitimate alternative in WP, then it could make sense for you to give iOS a try.

But you likely won't get anywhere near as many updates about what will be happening in future versions as you do with Windows Phone. If just 3 months or so after Mango you're already getting antsy about needing more info on the next version, you'll be getting really antsy with iOS.

If I was to get a Windows Phone, I'd likely get rid of my Omnia & have whatever I chose as a sole device. If I went for an iPhone they'd compliment each other, I'd keep both & it would fill the gaps.

By the time my next upgrade came around Apollo should be out, so I'd be able to take a fresh look at it then.

Video Editing Is Coming To Windows Phone 7 Via TrakAx - Mobility Digest
    If iOS works for you for now, then there's no harm in going for what works for you. Maybe Apollo will call you back.

Though you might want to wait until after Mobile World Congress just so you could get more information about the short term future of WP.
    sHAYM4N likes this.
    01-05-2012 07:31 PM
    well if you go according to your logic they dont need to give us news on Apollo for an other 4months. lol.

we sorta do knwo whats comming....

Tango = network updates , network support for specific regions , bug fix, and general support for Asian social networks.

Apollo= Windows 8 = Fully working ecosystem.. do you really need to know more?

its going to be a general Update and they are going to be adding features from the SUGGESTING thread. and probably more bug fixes.

probly access to new APIs , more dev tools for apps and games . probly a update on the notification system .

MORE INTEGRATION: Xbox companion , Skype , PC companion? (lol) ..ect..... i think i even saw somewhere of a new voice system ..

im sure willg et 100% confirmations int he upcoming events.

we haven't even had mango 2 months ... !!!!! so if thatch going stale for you id hate to see you buy a car and get stuck with it for 5 year++ with out *upgrades* lol
    01-05-2012 07:36 PM
    Maybe some Jam to take away the staleness? :) And 6 months after the next version, bet it goes stale as well, probably. Guess the grass is always greener...
    01-05-2012 08:44 PM

Why leave the superior WP for a more inferior iOS? If you really loved WP like you said you wouldn't even consider leaving let alone post such a thread.
    01-05-2012 08:44 PM
    I sorta want to see what they have planned too. I mean, what more could they add. I'd like to see how they plan on improving the OS. Nothing wrong with being curious.
    01-05-2012 09:08 PM
    Perhaps I could have put it a little better. Mango was awesome, and a huge upgrade over the initial version and Nodo, in a way it was like getting a new phone, but when I upgrade in March - I want more! Perhaps it's the failings of the Omnia being so lovely as it is :)

Unless the Ace is something amazing, I'm going to get a slightly faster CPU (which nothing that springs to mind will get the most out of it) and a couple of more megapixels, and a FFC that I will never use? Apollo might not even be coming to the Ace or whatever handsets are out at the moment, so Tango will offer bug fixes and that's about it? So if I go iOS I can have two phones with two marketplaces and for different use? Being a fanboy is all well and good, but why narrow down your options? At the end of my next contract I can have a look again and see whats on offer.

Apollo/Windows 8 may well be the key - but as far as I understand won't they both be using completely different architecture? So its likely that any power apps developed will be tablet based. WP7 as a consumer device as amazing, but as a smartphone for a power user it's still falling a little short due to what's available in the marketplace.

These devices cost 300-400 so why shouldn't I look to get as much as I can out of them?
    01-05-2012 09:28 PM
    Perhaps I could have put it a little better. Mango was awesome, and a huge upgrade over the initial version and Nodo, in a way it was like getting a new phone, but when I upgrade in March - I want more! Perhaps it's the failings of the Omnia being so lovely as it is :)

Unless the Ace is something amazing, I'm going to get a slightly faster CPU (which nothing that springs to mind will get the most out of it) and a couple of more megapixels, and a FFC that I will never use? Apollo might not even be coming to the Ace or whatever handsets are out at the moment, so Tango will offer bug fixes and that's about it? So if I go iOS I can have two phones with two marketplaces and for different use? Being a fanboy is all well and good, but why narrow down your options? At the end of my next contract I can have a look again and see whats on offer.

Apollo/Windows 8 may well be the key - but as far as I understand won't they both be using completely different architecture? So its likely that any power apps developed will be tablet based. WP7 as a consumer device as amazing, but as a smartphone for a power user it's still falling a little short due to what's available in the marketplace.

These devices cost 300-400 so why shouldn't I look to get as much as I can out of them?
    You are due for an upgrade in May, by that time we should know everything about Apollo except the details of the specific devices. No point in making a decision now, just hold off until you have all of the information. Besides, iPhone 6 (or 5, whatever they call it) probably won't be out until fall, around the same time as Apollo devices. Or would you actually buy a 4S in May?

BTW, It's pretty much guaranteed that Apollo will come to at least the 2G devices, and likely the 1G devices as well. The rumored low level changes are purely software, WP8 will continue to run on Qualcomm Snpadragon, which means the hardware is essentially compatible.
    01-05-2012 09:43 PM

who cares about a faster CPU when everything runs pretty fast already?
    Who cares about megapixels when it's all in the optics?
    I am 110% sure that Apollo will be delivered to all existing WP devices.
    01-05-2012 09:54 PM
    Why leave the superior WP for a more inferior iOS? If you really loved WP like you said you wouldn't even consider leaving let alone post such a thread.
    Os choice is all personal preference. Each have their advantages and disadvantages over other is not to mention wp isn't really superior in any way over ios atm.
    01-05-2012 10:10 PM
    You guys are in store for some heartache. I say Apollo won't be coming to 1st Gen devices. Tango probably, but not Apollo. Faster CPUs are need for higher quality games. Idk how u can be against better optics.

Sent from my SGH-i917 using Board Express
    Premium1 likes this.
    01-05-2012 10:11 PM
    who cares about a faster CPU when everything runs pretty fast already?
    Who cares about megapixels when it's all in the optics?
    I am 110% sure that Apollo will be delivered to all existing WP devices.
    Gaming would require more CPU/gpu power. Whether you play games or not many do and want that in a phone. Not to mention optics or mp the iPhone takes better pics than any wp out noe.
    01-05-2012 10:14 PM

Dude theres a story here in the news that ATT may be showing off a Windows 84G LTE tablet as CES next freaking week!!!! New devices from Nokia and probably HTC Radiant may be shown as well. The Samsung Mendel (in all likelyhood the samsung I-667 has passed BT certification with LTE radio and ATT bands maybe it will show up at CES if not WMC ion February. Theres an update bug fix sent to carriers for testing. There's a pre Tango post Mango build with LTE support thats coming in the Nokia 900 they're showing all kinds of stuff Stale no way man no way near stale!
    01-05-2012 10:36 PM

Well Apollo is supposed to be out as early as June When's your upgrade supposed to be available? That quick? Apollo will be available to all devices is what they are saying as far as I know Certainly to all second generation devices. So shouldn't be an issue. I am planning to get either the Nokia 900 or the Radiant or the Mendel I will look at the iPhone 5 if its out or if for some reason I hold on to my gen 1 focus. My wife and daughter have iPhones so thats always a possibility but its not very probable.
    01-05-2012 10:43 PM
    Os choice is all personal preference. Each have their advantages and disadvantages over other is not to mention wp isn't really superior in any way over ios atm.
    look at you getting a hard on to my posts again. How exactly is iOS superior to WP? it isn't.
    Rockstar Beaver likes this.
    01-05-2012 10:52 PM
    :) Oh no, I wont be making any decisions now, in this instance anyway it wouldn't be a switch, just an addition. TBH this is the first time I've ever thought about iOS - despite being a hefty Photoshop user, I stay clear of Apple if possible, I detest the likes of iTunes and the closed down system they have - but as long as I have a WP7 device as well I'll be a happy bunny.

Yep it is as much about the optics, but also to me about MP - I need to take a lot of reference photos for the work I do, and not always have a proper camera with me, its important that I have a decent enough substitute. Of course I don't expect to do any proper work with a smartphone, but having a few simple options is nice.

WP7 is still getting forgotten about - how many times do you see apps being released for iOS and Android, with WP7 as "coming soon" or not at all? There are some really talented developers that have made some awesome apps for WP7, and it's been disappointing to see a couple drop development in the last few weeks.

Sad thing is, perhaps had it been another platform, their products would have been bought up by the big guns.
    01-05-2012 10:52 PM
    apps aren't everything
    01-05-2012 10:58 PM
    look at you getting a hard on to my posts again. How exactly is iOS superior to WP? it isn't.
    Once again learn to read. I said it is all preference and never said ios was better. Nice try.
    01-05-2012 11:24 PM
    apps aren't everything
    No - but the success, survival, future & development of any smartphone system currently depends on them.

WebOS? Meego? both apparently nice systems, but where are they now?
    01-05-2012 11:27 PM
    Once again learn to read. I said it is all preference and never said ios was better. Nice try.
    ok that's it. You're going to my ignore list, its obvious that you're trying to bait me, I rarely ever ignore people so yea. Fuggin dckhead
    01-05-2012 11:33 PM
90 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD