Windows Phone Blog (Next Windows Phone Update News)

ilifecomputer

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the share.

As a new wp7 user, the post made me sad. I can't believe carriers can have a final say when deciding when to push mission critical minor updates. I know I'm not about to give up on my recent decision because my keyboard disappears 5-10x a day, but c'mon maaaaaan.....

MS should really step up their authority in this type of thing. I understand carriers having to thoroughly test updates with their carrier software but after that it needs to be released always. :confused:

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
I tried to read the blog and it would not load. I assume this is about S decision on the 8107 update I read about on WMPoweruser? the disappearing keyboard is cross carrier and all carriers should test and release the update/fix. Along with the 7740 stuff as well That way every carrier would be at the same point for the tango update.

Pronk

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
Don't like this at all. Apart from anything else, I have NEVER had an update needed notification via my phone. And as I'm unlocked and unbranded, where does that leave me if updates are carrier-dependent?

kinslayer

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
Unlocked devices should get this. I don't think there are carrier specific updates.

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 800 using Board Express

mhans311

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
I fully agree that it would be great if Microsoft could just force carriers to do what they want, but microsoft really isn't in any position to be calling the shots. They need the carriers much more than the carriers need them. WP is in its infancy and needs the push from the carriers to really take off.

Btw, my keyboard disappeared twice while typing this. Super annoying.

Sent from my mwp6985 using Board Express

fogel35

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
I think it is a terrible idea to allow the carriers to update Microsofts platform. Well I was considering moving to WP7 because I thought Microsoft owned the update process. Better go start scouting for Galaxy Nexus rumors for at&t. Sucks, I loved Nokia to.

Chris Coyle

Jan 7, 2012
Visit site
I think it is a terrible idea to allow the carriers to update Microsofts platform. Well I was considering moving to WP7 because I thought Microsoft owned the update process. Better go start scouting for Galaxy Nexus rumors for at&t. Sucks, I loved Nokia to.

Only Apple owns the update process now..off to 4s

jeremyshaw

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
Btw, apple can go the updates whenever they want, because they handle all of the support responsibilities (seriously, check the AT&T support page on which phones are supposed to contact whom). Not only that... They have the all important b&m presence, to handle said support responsibilities.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
but then you have a BlackBerry.... LOL

70 million people seem to be ok with that. ;)

Lets be honest, the OS itself is the only draw to WP. Well, I guess if you need Nokia hardware too. They dont have any other exclusive hardware or top if the line specs. If the OS itself cant be gaurenteed to be up to date any longer, many people obviously will look elsewhere. If you dont like Blackberry, thats fine. Their new OS is completely different that previous stuff. They make solid built devices, call quality is always excellent, compressed data to save on the monthly allowance, PUSH email for everything, working BB services through their NOC even if your carrier has an outtage, along with excellent reception. Their new OS will not be on any single core devices and they also said it will have "iphone 4-like dpi". It also supports Flash if you choose to enable it. HTML5 compatibility is leading any mobile browser (329+9 on html5test.com). Granted their new OS isnt complete yet, but besides that part, the reviews have been great.

Sorry for "preaching" but I own both. :) (Blackberry Tablet and Windows phone)

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo