The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
    I read over at MobileTechWorld that you can use CABs to install the newest OS to your Windows Phone. This could be very useful, since MS is no longer enforcing OS updates across the board. I was just wondering how legitimate (or rather illegitimate) is this method? Does anyone know if it voids anything or if future updates will still be able to be officially given after it is done?

Here is the link, in case you want to look into it more: Windows Phone 7 build 7.10.8107.79 roll out started get it now and update manually | MobileTechWorld
    01-07-2012 01:02 AM
    I read over at MobileTechWorld that you can use CABs to install the newest OS to your Windows Phone. This could be very useful, [BOLD]since MS is no longer enforcing OS updates across the board.[/BOLD] I was just wondering how legitimate (or rather illegitimate) is this method? Does anyone know if it voids anything or if future updates will still be able to be officially given after it is done?

Here is the link, in case you want to look into it more: Windows Phone 7 build 7.10.8107.79 roll out started get it now and update manually | MobileTechWorld
    Where are you getting your info? I have read that they are no longer detailing update progress through the Where's my update? and weekly blogs, but no where have I read that they are no longer enforcing mandatory updates. Link to where you saw this?
    01-07-2012 01:38 AM
    Where are you getting your info? I have read that they are no longer detailing update progress through the Where's my update? and weekly blogs, but no where have I read that they are no longer enforcing mandatory updates. Link to where you saw this?
    It is from the official Windows Phone Blog.

The update, available to all carriers that request it, is part of our ongoing maintenance of Windows Phone... ...In the months ahead, we’ll continue to send out firmware and maintenance updates as needed. These will be available across the globe—although not everybody will receive or require them. It depends on your country, carrier, and phone model.
    They said that the carriers must request them, not that they are being enforced. I would understand if this was a minor update, but I do not find disappearing keyboards to be a minor bug.

Link: New maintenance release for Windows Phone
    01-07-2012 01:48 AM
    In the comment section below the article it appears people are reporting problems with the manual update process. It could be a vendor/firmware/carrier specific problem as one person noted.
    01-07-2012 07:56 AM
    carrier had the way to manually update to MANGO via cab files because they got NODO phone after mango had came out.. its legit....

but is it reliable? probly not. chances are your gona be missing importent carrier Specific firmware. unless the update you have is specific to your carrier.
    01-07-2012 08:15 AM
    In the past they said that if a carrier could pass on one update but they had to take the next one and they have apparently changed and are only shipping the most recent update .8107 to those carriers who ask for it. I hope that this does not mean that carriers can skip the major updates like tango or apollo
    01-07-2012 12:36 PM
    In the past they said that if a carrier could pass on one update but they had to take the next one and they have apparently changed and are only shipping the most recent update .8107 to those carriers who ask for it. I hope that this does not mean that carriers can skip the major updates like tango or apollo
    For major updates carriers have to bring them, so there are no worries there :)

Sent from my HTC Arrive using Board Express
    01-07-2012 01:13 PM
    That was apparently changing but MS has come out and said nothing has changed about the process of the updating so all is back to status quo!
    01-07-2012 06:55 PM
    If all is truly back to the status quo, then all US carriers should be bringing 8107. I don't believe any received 7740, and since MS said that only one update can be skipped at a time, we should be receiving the 8107 with 7740 wrapped up in it.
    01-07-2012 07:04 PM
    If all is truly back to the status quo, then all US carriers should be bringing 8107. I don't believe any received 7740, and since MS said that only one update can be skipped at a time, we should be receiving the 8107 with 7740 wrapped up in it.
    You actually believe that Microsoft can force carriers to release an update just because they skipped the previous one?

Edit: I guess I might be wrong, apparently it is in effect
    Last edited by PG2G; 01-07-2012 at 09:29 PM.
    01-07-2012 07:56 PM
    You actually believe that Microsoft can force carriers to release an update just because they skipped the previous one?

Edit: I guess I might be wrong, apparently it is in effect
    That's was what MS said when the first updates were being rolled out! Then they appraently were changing and then not!
    01-08-2012 05:23 PM
    When they (Microsoft) say "this is a maintenance release that is available to carriers that request it" doesn't really sound like "all future updates will be available only to carriers that request them" I don't know why people blew this outta proportion. I honestly believe that this update was pretty much an unscheduled update that wasn't in the original game plan. So although we here in America didn't get 7740, I doubt we'll be seeing this one either because I'm pretty sure Microsoft would rather push the carriers to test and rollout Tango rather than this "maintenance release". That's probably why they didn't put such a big emphasis on this release. Yeah they ****ed up in terms of the way they handled its announcement but I'm sure they hope to just put this behind them and get Tango out as quickly as possible.
    01-08-2012 05:37 PM
    When they (Microsoft) say "this is a maintenance release that is available to carriers that request it" doesn't really sound like "all future updates will be available only to carriers that request them" I don't know why people blew this outta proportion. I honestly believe that this update was pretty much an unscheduled update that wasn't in the original game plan. So although we here in America didn't get 7740, I doubt we'll be seeing this one either because I'm pretty sure Microsoft would rather push the carriers to test and rollout Tango rather than this "maintenance release". That's probably why they didn't put such a big emphasis on this release. Yeah they ****ed up in terms of the way they handled its announcement but I'm sure they hope to just put this behind them and get Tango out as quickly as possible.
    Fair enough. Ideally, though, we would get the 7740/8107 combo and the Tango1/Tango2 combo. That would truly be every other update. Otherwise, I wonder if we'll even get Tango 2 or if we'll just get 7740, 8107, Tango 1, and Tango 2 all wrapped up together.
    01-08-2012 08:30 PM
    Hey can we get back on topic? The question is has anyone done the manual cab install like here: Impatient for Windows Phone 7.8? Fetch the CAB files and DIY | Windows Phone Central or here: Windows Phone 7.8 update rollout started for Nokia handsets but others can also update now manually | MobileTechWorld or even here: [CAB] Official WP7 Updates List up to WP 7.8 + ALL LANGUAGES complete + OEM updates - xda-developers The reason I ask is because HTC will not be updating the HD7 to 7.8. While this phone is old it is still very popular and many people still have it. Do i plan on getting a new phone sure when it is an option but until then i want 7.8. So has anyone successfully completed a 7.8 update from the steps on these links????
    01-31-2013 07:23 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD