So...since it looks like carriers have the power to pass on updates....

Luisraul924

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
It makes perfect sense why this was only a "maintenance" update and Microsoft isn't putting such emphasis on it. They're giving the carriers an "extra skip" so to speak so that they can push the carriers to testing and approving Tango. I think they made the maintenance release to show customers that they're actually doing something about bugs they complain about. The only issue is that they didn't quite get the PR right... I don't mind waiting another 30-60 days for Tango and the two updates that were skipped sure it's annoying but hey Tango is right around the corner.

roffleswaffles

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
I updated manually... I didn't really notice a difference to be honest. But then again, I was on version 7720 and not 7740 so I might have dodged a bullet with all the bugs you guys say your phones have.

Premium1

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
It makes perfect sense why this was only a "maintenance" update and Microsoft isn't putting such emphasis on it. They're giving the carriers an "extra skip" so to speak so that they can push the carriers to testing and approving Tango. I think they made the maintenance release to show customers that they're actually doing something about bugs they complain about. The only issue is that they didn't quite get the PR right... I don't mind waiting another 30-60 days for Tango and the two updates that were skipped sure it's annoying but hey Tango is right around the corner.

If they include this minor update in tango then I could see the carriers skipping on the single smaller bug fix update, but if that is not the case and some of the fixes are left out, especially ones such as they sms bug or keyboard disappearing, I do not think carriers should be able to skip on those. I mean they do affect the user experience and can turn off users if they never get bug fixes or only get certain ones.

Chris Coyle

Jan 7, 2012
Visit site
Tango is not for all phones. Its a stripped down version for these so called low end phones that Nokia wants for international and places like China and India. Our next big update will be Apollo in mid to late 2012. My guess At&t will wait til then. Maybe if MS releases that Sms bug fix, then maybe then.

Sent from my Windows Phone using Board Express

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
well if in fact the update policy of old is still in place they cant pass as they passed on the 7740 update and therefore would have to rol out 8107

Luisraul924

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
All updates are cumulative, so the changes in 8107 will be part of whatever build Tango is.
this is correct.
Tango is not for all phones. Its a stripped down version for these so called low end phones that Nokia wants for international and places like China and India. Our next big update will be Apollo in mid to late 2012. My guess At&t will wait til then. Maybe if MS releases that Sms bug fix, then maybe then.

this is not correct, albeit not incorrect either, we have no solid confirmations on what Tango is exactly, there were rumors of there being two versions of Tango one for low-end devices and the other for regular devices.
well if in fact the update policy of old is still in place they cant pass as they passed on the 7740 update and therefore would have to rol out 8107
This may or may not be correct, if the "every other update" schedule is written into a contract somewhere then yes it would be required, however if this "maintenance release" was an unscheduled release then depending on the terms of that update contract, carriers might be allowed to skip this update as well, which is what I think actually happened.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site

Nokia has abandoned their plan to use the Windows Phone OS on low end phones. I wouldn't expect anything "lower end" than the 710. Nokia will most likely use Symbian and now Smarterphone to fill any gaps.

GG916

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
Here's MS's latest statement about the update process from a recently posted article over at WMPoweruser.com Microsoft reassures WP7 users–Nothing has changed regarding updates | WMPoweruser

Hopefully this means that ATT and all other US carriers who passed on the 7740 update will now be bringing out 8107 along with the 7740 update. Hopefully it wont take long to test, but with where's my update page going away will it be harder to keep up with progress? Hopefully not!
Last I checked, the Where's My Update page had 7.5 as the latest update release. They haven't even updated that page with either the 7740 or 8107. Edited to add: I can't even find the page anymore. It's gone.

Last edited:

Rocket_Girl

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
Last I checked, the Where's My Update page had 7.5 as the latest update release. They haven't even updated that page with either the 7740 or 8107. Edited to add: I can't even find the page anymore. It's gone.

They said they were taking the page down...as it had become "too unwieldy"

Really? I wish I could forego a three-column, 10-ish row data table because it is 'too unwieldy."

Luisraul924

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
How....? Are you suggesting the risks are the same?

No I'm pretty sure anybody that is knowledgable in this matter would know that there are less risks. You see, with Android it is precisely because it is open source that it is worse for updates. You see with Android, OEMs need to focus on compiling a brand new build for each and every device they have, as well as adjust and/or recompile each device's firmware to adjust for that new build. THEN as if that didn't take long enough, there is still the possibility that either google or the carrier rejects the build and/or firmware requiring the OEM to recheck their code (especially because Android is buggy as ****). Windows Phone on the other hand, Microsoft builds once for all devices hands it to OEMs for firmware adjustment and carriers for approval (which often more than not is accepted on the first shot since this OS is strictly controlled and virtually bugless compared to Android) what's the beauty of WP7? it's so organized because it is a closed source, controlled environment that we get updates faster than any Android device would dream of having. Now, tell me... Which part of the above explanation makes Windows Phone seem more "risky" in terms of OS updates? From where I'm standing Android is in a much worse position in terms of updates. Oh and that wasn't even mentioning the fact that most OEMs don't even bother with all that bull****, they just succumb to capitalism and create a new device six to eight weeks later (sometimes sooner) officially ****ing over previous owners of updates.

Premium1

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
No I'm pretty sure anybody that is knowledgable in this matter would know that there are less risks. You see, with Android it is precisely because it is open source that it is worse for updates. You see with Android, OEMs need to focus on compiling a brand new build for each and every device they have, as well as adjust and/or recompile each device's firmware to adjust for that new build. THEN as if that didn't take long enough, there is still the possibility that either google or the carrier rejects the build and/or firmware requiring the OEM to recheck their code (especially because Android is buggy as ****). Windows Phone on the other hand, Microsoft builds once for all devices hands it to OEMs for firmware adjustment and carriers for approval (which often more than not is accepted on the first shot since this OS is strictly controlled and virtually bugless compared to Android) what's the beauty of WP7? it's so organized because it is a closed source, controlled environment that we get updates faster than any Android device would dream of having. Now, tell me... Which part of the above explanation makes Windows Phone seem more "risky" in terms of OS updates? From where I'm standing Android is in a much worse position in terms of updates. Oh and that wasn't even mentioning the fact that most OEMs don't even bother with all that bull****, they just succumb to capitalism and create a new device six to eight weeks later (sometimes sooner) officially ****ing over previous owners of updates.

Actually the nexus devices get updates just as fast as wp7 since the updates come from google. No carrier bs.

Luisraul924

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Actually the nexus devices get updates just as fast as wp7 since the updates come from google. No carrier bs.
yeah but not everybody has a nexus device and that only counts for one device not all devices like Windows Phone. Microsoft already stated that the update cycle hasn't changed so that means every device will get the update all depending on the rollout schedule. Whereas Android, you're at the mercy of whether or not the OEM even wants to compile an updated build for your device... That sucks.

Premium1

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
yeah but not everybody has a nexus device and that only counts for one device not all devices like Windows Phone. Microsoft already stated that the update cycle hasn't changed so that means every device will get the update all depending on the rollout schedule. Whereas Android, you're at the mercy of whether or not the OEM even wants to compile an updated build for your device... That sucks.

Yeah it does suck, but with carriers essentially getting to pick and choose which updates they will issue for their wp's it seems wp is going in the same direction of android.

gtg465x

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Agreed. The Nexus actually gets updates quicker than any Windows Phone. My brand new Titan is already two versions behind and there are bug fixes in those two releases that I would really like to have. So far I'm rather disappointed with the update situation. It's pretty much like Android.

Luisraul924

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Yeah it does suck, but with carriers essentially getting to pick and choose which updates they will issue for their wp's it seems wp is going in the same direction of android.
the update cycle hasn't changed, Microsoft themselves have confirmed that. Carriers can skip an update if they deem it too small or insignificant but it'll be added to the next update which they're required to rollout. This "maintenance update" was probably not originally scheduled which is why Microsoft is giving the carriers the chance to skip it. If you all enjoy the Nexus more than Windows Phone great but go talk about it at android central and quit flaming Microsoft for this slip up.

Sent from my Radar 4G using Board Express

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss