So...since it looks like carriers have the power to pass on updates....

Premium1

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
the update cycle hasn't changed, Microsoft themselves have confirmed that. Carriers can skip an update if they deem it too small or insignificant but it'll be added to the next update which they're required to rollout. This "maintenance update" was probably not originally scheduled which is why Microsoft is giving the carriers the chance to skip it. If you all enjoy the Nexus more than Windows Phone great but go talk about it at android central and quit flaming Microsoft for this slip up.

Sent from my Radar 4G using Board Express

Sorry that nobody can talk about what you use because it is perfect. I have a nexus and a trophy and thanks for the suggestion but if you don't like what I say ignore it. There is always room for improvement. Damn you are as bad as the android fanboys. smh

Last edited:

Luisraul924

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Agreed. The Nexus actually gets updates quicker than any Windows Phone. My brand new Titan is already two versions behind and there are bug fixes in those two releases that I would really like to have. So far I'm rather disappointed with the update situation. It's pretty much like Android.
I would attribute this to the fact that google more than likely keeps quiet on the release of an update until its actually ready for its own device.

Edit: I remember Microsoft tried to do this with Mango but there were too many OEMs to keep it quiet. Well that and HTC is leak central.

jrdatrackstar1223

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
No I'm pretty sure anybody that is knowledgable in this matter would know that there are less risks. You see, with Android it is precisely because it is open source that it is worse for updates. You see with Android, OEMs need to focus on compiling a brand new build for each and every device they have, as well as adjust and/or recompile each device's firmware to adjust for that new build. THEN as if that didn't take long enough, there is still the possibility that either google or the carrier rejects the build and/or firmware requiring the OEM to recheck their code (especially because Android is buggy as ****). Windows Phone on the other hand, Microsoft builds once for all devices hands it to OEMs for firmware adjustment and carriers for approval (which often more than not is accepted on the first shot since this OS is strictly controlled and virtually bugless compared to Android) what's the beauty of WP7? it's so organized because it is a closed source, controlled environment that we get updates faster than any Android device would dream of having. Now, tell me... Which part of the above explanation makes Windows Phone seem more "risky" in terms of OS updates? From where I'm standing Android is in a much worse position in terms of updates. Oh and that wasn't even mentioning the fact that most OEMs don't even bother with all that bull****, they just succumb to capitalism and create a new device six to eight weeks later (sometimes sooner) officially ****ing over previous owners of updates.

I understand this, but I was talking about installing the 8107 update manually. When it comes to Android, its nearly impossible to brick your device because it's Linux. With Windows Phone you have a higher chance of errors and mistakes (from what I understand anyway).

If this is untrue, and all the whore stories I'm seeing over on XDA aren't really reflective of anything then I take it back. But people installing updates manually on a Windows Phone obviously aren't noobs at hacking and rooting, etc...

canesfan625

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
I understand this, but I was talking about installing the 8107 update manually. When it comes to Android, its nearly impossible to brick your device because it's Linux. With Windows Phone you have a higher chance of errors and mistakes (from what I understand anyway).

If this is untrue, and all the whore stories I'm seeing over on XDA aren't really reflective of anything then I take it back. But people installing updates manually on a Windows Phone obviously aren't noobs at hacking and rooting, etc...

This is absolutely a big fat lie. You can brick an Android device with ease. Especially if you mess around with rooting/custom roms and you don't know what you are doing. I've seen people brick theirs just from having a incorrect radio/spl configuration.

Thats what they said the policy was when nodo came!

You aren't getting every little update that is released because they aren't all relative to your device. I.E Microsoft wont be feeding you an update to your phone that doesn't actually do anything.

Last edited:

jrdatrackstar1223

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
This is absolutely a big fat lie. You can brick an Android device with ease. Especially if you mess around with rooting/custom roms and you don't know what you are doing. I've seen people brick theirs just from having a incorrect radio/spl configuration.

You aren't getting every little update that is released because they aren't all relative to your device. I.E Microsoft wont be feeding you an update to your phone that doesn't actually do anything.

Like I said, I would like to be wrong. I'm just going off of what I've seen (and read) about Windows Phone hacking, specifically related to this update. I went to the forum and looked at comments and I see nothing but people saying they're having problems here or there with their device after doing it. Not necessarily bricking, but just things missing or something not working when they're done installing 8107...etc...

Premium1

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site

That is false, not to mention 99% of androids get released with the stock images so if anything goes wrong you can flash it back to stock and you are good to go. Can't really do that with wp.

jrdatrackstar1223

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
I think I'm going to go ahead and take the plunge and install 8107. Someone posted they put it on their Arrive, so it can't be that hard to do it....

It's just a shame because I loved Windows Phone for NOT having to hack and root my phone...left that behind in the Android days (I THOUGHT)...

bigkevbosky

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
I think I'm going to go ahead and take the plunge and install 8107. Someone posted they put it on their Arrive, so it can't be that hard to do it....

It's just a shame because I loved Windows Phone for NOT having to hack and root my phone...left that behind in the Android days (I THOUGHT)...

Yeah I just put 8107 on my Focus. I don't mind the hacking because the system is so much more stable than Android.

canesfan625

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
That is false, not to mention 99% of androids get released with the stock images so if anything goes wrong you can flash it back to stock and you are good to go. Can't really do that with wp.

you are right. no need to mention that. If it is a brick in the strictest terms you wont be flashing anything without jtag or some other means. Brick as it is also applied to a bad flash that requires you to recover via the recovery console or bootloader is quite easy on android.

blehblehbleh

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site

Yeah well that's really more of a carrier problem, though MS should just regain control and let us all enjoy updates.

Luisraul924

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Yeah well that's really more of a carrier problem, though MS should just regain control and let us all enjoy updates.
They haven't lost control of the process, they just hit a bump on the road and didn't know how to handle it publicly that's all. It looks bad, but that's just something they'll recover from like NoDo.

jrdatrackstar1223

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
So i received a message from a guy from T-Mobile that they haven't received 8107 from Microsoft, so perhaps that is why there are no releases for unlocked phones. Maybe Microsoft pulled the update back?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo