Need a phone I killed my Samsung Captivate.

dawrath

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
As the title said I killed my Samsung Captivate today. The loudspeaker stopped working AGAIN and did my normal taping it on table a few times. Well I guess I was not as gentle as normal (I was very pissed). Screen is messed up now. Had it for over a year anyhow so time to upgrade. I plan to stay on ATT because most my family is on ATT etc.

Thinking of going for a 4" plus phone. I use my phone for these things in mostly order:
Music>Netflix>Google voice texting>phone calls.

I am debating on getting the HTC Titan because of the 16 Gigs of memory and nice size screen. With the issue I had with my Samsung phone and now my GF got a newer Samsung phone on Verizon with plenty of issues. I want to avoid Samsung now.

I also like the look of the HTC Vivid. Plus with the vivid I can buy a huge micro SD card for a nice music collection. I hate to always be streaming music.

I know going to WP7 I will lose one app I use ALOT with GF, words with friends. Hopefully it comes to the market soon. But how is the sound quality on most WP7 phones? I have been surfing here over the last few months and WP seems to be better on battery then Android in general. I HATE having a phone that can not last thru one day with normal usage.

So, HTC Titan, Vivid, LG Nitro (bad battery life?) or struggle without a phone for a few weeks and hope for a Nokia phone...

toyotast165

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
30 day return policy, $35 restocking fee, try out whatever you want. If the titan is on your mind, put it in your hand for a few days. Nice option seeing you'll have it for 2years

SolunaKitty

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
The Titan's battery is great according to most people (it lasts me over 3 days, but then again, I don't use it that much, except for texts, emails, and a little gaming on the side).

As for Nokia, I believe the first device (the 900) will be available starting March 18.

Judge_Daniel

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
I have a spare Focus that I could let you borrow or buy. You'd just have to promise to treat it well, as that was my first Windows Phone and I've grown attached. :p

dawrath

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
I have a spare Focus that I could let you borrow or buy. You'd just have to promise to treat it well, as that was my first Windows Phone and I've grown attached. :p

Thanks I will keep that in mind. Going to the ATT store tomorrow to see if they will help me early upgrade before April.

jdevenberg

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
I say get the Titan for now, You'll be in your 30 day window when Nokia announces what is going on for the US. I switched from Android to Windows Phone and will never go back. I just returned my Titan to wait for a Nokia phone on AT&T, but my wife elected to keep her Titan. It is a great device, but the screen is too big in my opinion. Its one of those things you can only decide by using it for a while.

dawrath

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
Thing I am worried about with the Titan is call quality. My Dad is hard of hearing but refuses to admit he has an issue. Only time he can currently understand me is when I talk loud and use my bluetooth headset.

jdevenberg

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
Thing I am worried about with the Titan is call quality. My Dad is hard of hearing but refuses to admit he has an issue. Only time he can currently understand me is when I talk loud and use my bluetooth headset.

I had issues with my Titan with that, thats one reason I returned it. However, there is a thread in the Titan forums about how to fix it. Take of the outer casing and put a small piece of electric tape over the upper microphone. Put the outer shell back on, you can't see the tape, and call quality is vastly improved. The call quality has been linked by many users to an over sensitivity of the upper noise canceling mic. It picks up your voice and tries to cancel it out. I think it is worth a shot on the Titan, after all, if you don't like it, just return it when the Nokias launch.

anon(5329672)

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
I know going to WP7 I will lose one app I use ALOT with GF, words with friends. Hopefully it comes to the market soon.

I can't add much to ur 'How is the Titan?' dilemma, cause I ain't got no Titan, but in going to WP7 there are a few alternatives to words with friends. The one I use is Words By Post. Its cross platform so u can play ur GF. Just something to keep in mind.

jdevenberg

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for all the helpful feedback. Most friendly feedbacks out of 3 forums I asked for help with a new phone.

Thats because those of us that use Windows Phone aren't always frustrated at our phones so we are in good moods when we talk about them. I second Words By Post, my wife loves it.

btbam91

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
Not trying to derail this thread but the dictionary and algorithms in Words by Post sucks. I miss Words with Friends!

Sent from my Windows Phone using Board Express

dawrath

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
Well went to ATT, the local store said I have to wait 2 months for the upgrade price. So now I can either buy local on craiglist or go thru the retention department for there deal. Last time I talked to them (before my phone broke) it was $175 for the Titan. But not 100% sure I want to extend my ATT contract another 2 years.

Premium1

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
Well went to ATT, the local store said I have to wait 2 months for the upgrade price. So now I can either buy local on craiglist or go thru the retention department for there deal. Last time I talked to them (before my phone broke) it was $175 for the Titan. But not 100% sure I want to extend my ATT contract another 2 years.

I would say buy a cheap phone off craigslist to hold you over until your upgrade that way if you decide you do not want to sign another contract you will be free to look at other carriers.

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
I would hold off for the 900 if it were me... The Titan has a less than stellar rep for call quality... Plus people are raving about Nokia and the clear black screen.

dawrath

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
Ok, how silly would it be to get a normal Focus off Amazon from Samsung direct? Showing as $239 then I won't need to sign on the dotted line for another 2 years.

Are the SD bugs really that bad with the Focus? I like the idea of more storage because I love to carry alot of music on me.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786