Keyboard Accuracy gone down?

firedancer1189

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Forgive me if there are other posts made about this. I looked briefly but didn't see anything.

When I first switched from a Blackberry to a touchscreen device like my Samsung Focus I was pretty hesitant as obviously most people prefer a hard keyboard to a soft one when it comes to text/email.

I was surprised about how accurate the touch keyboard was on my new Windows Phone. I quickly accumulated to it and found myself being able to email and text as fast or faster then I was able to on my 9630 Tour.

Maybe it's just me but it feels like over the course of the last few months the accuracy has deteriorated in a big way. I am not sure if it was since the last update or maybe it's just all in my head. I was able to text extremely fast and more importantly accurately for the better part of a year. Now it seems every single message I have to go back and correct typos and even more annoyingly get rid of the periods. I never used to have an issue with the period being right next to the space bar but now it seems I hit it all the time in the middle of a sentence.

I am just wondering if anyone else is having this issue, if it's being addressed, or if I am just going crazy and this is all in my head.

jrdatrackstar1223

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
Forgive me if there are other posts made about this. I looked briefly but didn't see anything.

When I first switched from a Blackberry to a touchscreen device like my Samsung Focus I was pretty hesitant as obviously most people prefer a hard keyboard to a soft one when it comes to text/email.

I was surprised about how accurate the touch keyboard was on my new Windows Phone. I quickly accumulated to it and found myself being able to email and text as fast or faster then I was able to on my 9630 Tour.

Maybe it's just me but it feels like over the course of the last few months the accuracy has deteriorated in a big way. I am not sure if it was since the last update or maybe it's just all in my head. I was able to text extremely fast and more importantly accurately for the better part of a year. Now it seems every single message I have to go back and correct typos and even more annoyingly get rid of the periods. I never used to have an issue with the period being right next to the space bar but now it seems I hit it all the time in the middle of a sentence.

I am just wondering if anyone else is having this issue, if it's being addressed, or if I am just going crazy and this is all in my head.

I knew I wasnt the only one and that I am not crazy when people say they havent noticed decreased accuracy. Ive been having the exact same problem ever since Mango dropped. Keyboard was flawless with NoDo and I couldn't make a mistake if I tried. With Mango it's way less accurate (still somewhat decent though compared iOS and Android).

The new update (8107) that's supposed to be dropping soon (hopefully, if carriers approve) has rumored to fix the accuracy, along with the disappearing keyboard. So far, everyone I've seen comment on it has said that it does fix the accuracy, so this is like the most important update in the world to me.

Last edited:

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
Alot of people are complaining of new keyboard accuracy issues since the mango update. I seem to to be having issues myself on my HD7. Biggest one I'm finding is the space bar doesn't seem to be as responsive, so alot of words I type get run together. At the same time, the auto correct seems faster and smarter so it's kind of a trade off. Now it's actually practical to use the tex predictions for abbreviations and some longer words cuz they come up fast enough that can spot and hit them faster than typing the word manually. (I've been doing it this whole post. :D) In a perfect world I'd enjoy the pre-mango accuracy along with the speed of prediction/correction... Perhaps a fix will come.

Sent from my HD7 using Board Express

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
Theres another thread about this somewhere in these forums . I have not really noticed the accuracy going down since Mango. What works best for me is trying to hit the key on the left side of it it seems to be more accurate than hitting wither the middle or right side of the keys. But I have never done touch typing I just use my thumbs and my indeaxc fingers to type on a regular kb I usually use my index fnger to type on screen on if I have the phone on my desk both of my thumbs.

Judge_Daniel

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site

I feel like the phone isn't autocorrecting as often as it used to. It sometimes leaves i's lowercase and won't correct small words like "ne" to "me"--something I've seen it do before. I'm just not sure what would cause this.

firedancer1189

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Appreciate all the replies guys and glad I am not the only one.

It seriously sounds trivial but if this isn't addressed soon I am going to go to another mobile OS until it is. I am not abandoning Windows but let's face it, more communication is done through text these days. Not having a functioning keyboard just pains me every time I hear my text or email notification on my phone.

I have been a huge proponent of this OS so far and most of the bugs haven't really got to me. But, for some reason after having such a nice keyboard then have it suddenly get hit with the suck stick.....it could be time to bench the OS until it's addressed.

Rocket_Girl

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
Me, too. allthetui bdje (which is supposed to say 'all the thing's) you said. I find spaces where I want the keys Bove (above), shift when I want 'a' (see previous), and multiple wordssteungtogether when I mean to have spaces. I am s scientist, which for much of my time mKes me a writer...so the typing is something I do both often and well...on most devices...

aubreyq

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
The consensus is that, for plenty of people, Mango reduced typing accuracy. I noticed it right away but other people noticed it later. Some lucky ones didn't notice a difference, but if Microsoft "fixes it" then that means indeed there was a problem.

aubreyq

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
...What works best for me is trying to hit the key on the left side of it it seems to be more accurate than hitting wither the middle or right side of the keys.
Agreed. Tapping a little to the left of the target character is what helps me, although I not always remember to do it.

I have noticed mine autocorrects to words I don't want when I type correctly.
I disabled autocorrect for that reason. I'd rather send a typo than a complete different word when texting, etc.

colin002

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
Very bad

I'm on my Lumia 800, and the accuracy seem to have decreased. Could it be that the phone is trying to figure out my typing habits and maybe interpreted wrong? The problem is so bad, anyone would figure it out.

The problem: cannot type 'u' on first try. So everytime I try to write "you", I end up typing "yoy" or "yoi". I don't think in these past weeks have I typed "you" correctly in one go without suggestions. Is it a bug? Is there a way to reset these predictions? I don't want to reset my DICTIONARY though, but I would like to reset these 'guessing's.

psiu_glen

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
I never played with NoDo much but it does seem to not always be co sistent. Also, like in the previous sentence, it does t handle incorrect spaces very well, I've also notices that hitting the period key on accident will barf things up really badly.

This post was obviously typed on a Windows Phone (then again the Android keyboards I've tried all suck, and the iOS one is annoying with its all caps all the time look and no exposed period/comma keys).

jrdatrackstar1223

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
Just revisiting this thread to see if anyone is experiencing better keyboard accuracy post 8107? I've installed it the manual way via cab sender, but noticed no increased accuracy in finger detection.

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
If I am having problems with keyboard accuracy I still attribute all of it to operator input error not the device.

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
My carrier pushed the update a while back and it's everything I dreamed! Nodo accuracy is back, no more vanishing, and Mango speed and smoothness is reigning supreme. His is what it should've always been!

jrdatrackstar1223

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
My carrier pushed the update a while back and it's everything I dreamed! Nodo accuracy is back, no more vanishing, and Mango speed and smoothness is reigning supreme. His is what it should've always been!

What carrier are you with, and what device do you have? What device did you have with NoDo on it to determine NoDo's accuracy?

EDIT sorry just read your other post in this thread. So you have the HD7? Interesting, as I used to have that device and the accuracy was terrible on that phone. The last phone I had with good accuracy was my HTC arrive on sprint (virtual keyboard). Like I said before...with NoDo I couldn't make a mistake if I tried. Now, I have to worry about using the backspace button all the time...
On my Lumia 710 with the forced 8107 update nothing has changed with the keyboard at all. Its still pretty inaccurate with detecting my finger touches, and I have to use backspace all the time. Its really annoying knowing how good the keyboard could be but it isn't...

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnwilliam9750