Larger devices

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I need to know, that if I get a Titan with the huge screen, would I get more info on the screen. Like when I use the kindle app, will there be more text per page over the kindle app on my Focus.(ex)

Sent from my SGH-i917 using Board Express

Judge_Daniel

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
Because the screen has the same amount of pixels, nothing extra will be displayed on the screen. Instead, everything will be blown up or magnified, if you will. You might not have more words per page on the Kindle app, but the words will definitely be easier to read.

jdevenberg

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
No, there will be the same amount of info on the screen, but it ill be larger. This is because your focus and the Titan (I & II) have the same resolution (480x800 iirc) because microsoft requires that all WP devices have that specific resolution. When A developer codes an app, they don't program a character or image to be A"xB", they program it to be A pixels x B pixels. This ensures that an app will look and preform the same on any size screen. If they programed using inches, you could end up with apps where part was off the screen on a small phone or it didn't fill the screen on a large phone.

All that to say at a given font size, both will display the same info, but the Titan would display it larger. Because of this, a workaround in the kindle app specifically would be to use a smaller font size on the Titan. Like if you put the Titan on size 5 of 10 for example, the letters would be the same size as having the font set to size 6 or 7 on the Focus. Using the smaller font size would then allow the app to display more on the screen.

Premium1

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
I need to know, that if I get a Titan with the huge screen, would I get more info on the screen. Like when I use the kindle app, will there be more text per page over the kindle app on my Focus.(ex)

No you would not get any more since it has the same resolution as the smaller screened phones. Sad they couldn't at least bump up the resolution some on a 4.7 inch screen.

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the info. I'll pass on the larger device for right now. I was about to grab a Titan off ebay for cheap.

mprice86

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, it's bigger. But you're seeing the same amount of tweets, fb post, web page... as I do with my Focus. I don't see why they haven't bumped up the screen specs.

They're all about preventing fragmentation. Bumping screen specs on new phones means that older apps wont display properly and the OS would appear differently on different phones which is exactly what they don't want.

Only having to write for 800x480 also simplifies the app development process, apparently.

jeremyshaw

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
They're all about preventing fragmentation. Bumping screen specs on new phones means that older apps wont display properly and the OS would appear differently on different phones which is exactly what they don't want.

Only having to write for 800x480 also simplifies the app development process, apparently.

However, the 800x480 (~16:9.5, iirc) ratio is dead. No one has expanded on it. Apple has gone the super-squat 960x640 (~16:11, iirc), most of Android has gone the 16:9 960:540 or 1280x720 route. A very few phones have 16:10, but now, even tablets are going 16:9.

So MS is going to have to deal with different screen ratios, eventually (or just letterbox everything that is old, lol...).

Premium1

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
However, the 800x480 (~16:9.5, iirc) ratio is dead. No one has expanded on it. Apple has gone the super-squat 960x640 (~16:11, iirc), most of Android has gone the 16:9 960:540 or 1280x720 route. A very few phones have 16:10, but now, even tablets are going 16:9.

So MS is going to have to deal with different screen ratios, eventually (or just letterbox everything that is old, lol...).

I think there should be some way they could easily add code to enable different screen resolutions even if it is only 2 different resolutions(current, and higher resolution) like apple does with the iphone and ipad.

red grenadine

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
For something like the kindle app you could make the text size smaller than you would on a correspondingly smaller screen, so technically you'd get more text on the screen that way.

jeremyshaw

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
I think there should be some way they could easily add code to enable different screen resolutions even if it is only 2 different resolutions(current, and higher resolution) like apple does with the iphone and ipad.

Well.... there is an issue with that. The iPhone has two resolutions, yes, but can scale perfectly. Why? Old iPhone res: 480x320. New iPhone res: 960x640. Perfectly scaled. Each "old pixel" can map to an exact 2x2 square of "new pixels," and the OS can even apply a high resolution font render into all applications reguardless of display support, too.

iPad, has not had this issue.... yet.

However, no company is expanding on 800x480, so far. Unless if we see an odd 1600x960 (or something with an identical display aspect ratio) developed, we will not see a continuation of the old ratio (there is ONE other way... a 16:9 display with softkeys, just like the Galaxy Nexus, but specifically sized to allow for ~16:9.5 ratio to match old display ratio). Those are the only ways to see perfect scaling for older applications (and even so, the second and third option would give subpixel rendering issues as many GUI elements, in say, games, are bitmap, and not vectorized; only one is likely, as the other two would possiblely be utterly ignored on phones, as 1280x720 does hit the 300PPI "retina" limit quite well, even at massive screen sizes (for a phone).

However, it's just an interesting issue, and I am curious how MS will tackle it. Android, since it was always open on this from day one, has had a DPI (PPI, technically) scaling setting, and many applications can easily scale from tablet to phone size without any special coding. Though this does introduce another issue of PPI filtering in the marketplace.

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Well they better change something or find a workaround. The display specs must be increased. The OS is already fragmented. Not to the point of Android, but it's just a natural technical issue. The question is,how long is MS going to keep the display specs the same, for the sake of older devices.

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
I hope Microsoft does figure something out. I can't be the only one that wants a phone with resolution like the iPhone 4S, HTC Rezound and Galaxy Nexus.

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Absolutely. And it's not just about specs. It's just a better display for a better device. But for me, it's about more info on the screen.
I hope Microsoft does figure something out. I can't be the only one that wants a phone with resolution like the iPhone 4S, HTC Rezound and Galaxy Nexus.

jdevenberg

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
Well they better change something or find a workaround. The display specs must be increased. The OS is already fragmented. Not to the point of Android, but it's just a natural technical issue. The question is,how long is MS going to keep the display specs the same, for the sake of older devices.
In what way is the OS fragmented?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo