Windows Phone 7 fragmentation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xtian.Castro

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
With the news of the Lumia 900 release, Im curious if anyone has considered the possibility of our beloved OS suffering its first signs of fragmentation. The phone will be shipping with a very customized version of Mango.

A problem could be updates. One of the most wonderful things about WP7 is that its updates were rolled out in a quick fashion. The advent of very customized OS version could mean a delayed update timeframe. Custom OS versions are one of the main issues with delayed or nonexistent updates with Android devices.

anyways just my thoughts, sound off if you got anything to say

Last edited:

Luisraul924

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
The phone will be shipping with a very customized version of Mango that supports a dual core processor
I don't know where you got that information from but as far as I know and remember it's only a 1.5 ghz SINGLE core processor, which the the Titan and Titan II also have. The LTE support has always been there albeit in "secret" form so as far as I can tell, apart from battery modifications that both Microsoft and Qualcomm worked with Nokia on, I don't see any real "customization". The only thing I could possibly see that resembles fragmentation on the platform is between low-end devices and high-end devices. The reason I say resembles is because chances are most markets won't see the "special Tango" build for low-end devices and even those that do there truly won't be too much of a difference between those devices and mid to high end devices apart from some of the more intense games. If you're buying intense games on a smartphone, chances are you're an enthusiast or a gadget geek, which means you would probably get a high-end phone no matter what market you're in anyway. I highly, highly doubt this OS will suffer fragmentation to the point where the regular majority of consumers can see and feel the difference (e.g. Android)

Xtian.Castro

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
I don't know where you got that information from but as far as I know and remember it's only a 1.5 ghz SINGLE core processor, which the the Titan and Titan II also have

sorry you are totally correct, I must have crossed that info with another phone. Tons of news this week so far

Judge_Daniel

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
You might have some of your information confused, but I feel like you have a valid point in being concerned about fragmentation given Nokia's position in the Windows Phone ecosystem. However, Nokia has stated time and again that they are going to differentiate themselves without breaking apart. They are going to get exclusive apps, but only for a certain amount of months. They'll have custom hardware, but nothing that will cause apps not to run on other devices. Despite having so much power over Windows Phone, I imagine Nokia still realizes that if it is going to succeed, it needs the other OEMs to succeed right now, and if they are going to succeed, then Nokia can't be ruining the user experience on those phones.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium