01-28-2012 09:15 AM
74 123
tools
    You are missing the point. Imagine you're at a ski resort and you've just recorded this unbelievable video and you won't get back home for another few days. But the iPhone will allow you to create a little movie out of it and post it on Twitter/FB within an hour. That's the kind of "little miracles" that surround the iPhone. Sure most people will never use iMovie on iPhone, but it's apps like that give it that magic halo that makes it a 100% must buy for miilions.
    Nothing is that important that you can't wait to get home and do a PROPER JOB of editing it.
    jdevenberg likes this.
    01-13-2012 12:16 PM
    You are missing the point. Imagine you're at a ski resort and you've just recorded this unbelievable video and you won't get back home for another few days. But the iPhone will allow you to create a little movie out of it and post it on Twitter/FB within an hour. That's the kind of "little miracles" that surround the iPhone. Sure most people will never use iMovie on iPhone, but it's apps like that give it that magic halo that makes it a 100% must buy for miilions.
    But you know what this is pretty cool if you need it do it right at the spot so say if your up in the mountains snowboarding and you recorded this awesome video. So instead of snowboarding and having fun Im gonna chill up here edit this video and upload it. Thats pretty cool! I can't do that on my WP thats for sure and I don't even think I can get signal up there.
    willied likes this.
    01-13-2012 12:17 PM
    Hahah it's you that's getting irked by the fact that I like my phone and don't want an iPhone and couldn't care less about video editing.

Why are you even on here if you just want to bad mouth WP and praise the iPhone? Seriously?
    He is just a troll (as far as I can see). The fact he thinks millions of people edit movies on their phone is laughable. I am sure the number of people who do that is in the four maybe low five digit range.
    01-13-2012 01:47 PM
    It's neat that they can edit their videos. It really is.

But it's nowhere near a deal breaker for me. I do my editing on a PC.

But I can understand why it's a deal breaker for some people. And those people should get an iPhone. Not a big deal.

If someone told me, "It's important for me to be able to edit video clips on my phone."

I'd answer, "WP doesn't have an app for that yet. But the iPhone does."

No drama.
    jdevenberg likes this.
    01-13-2012 01:59 PM
    Ignore the troll.

Anyway, back to the original topic. I don't see a Forza mobile comming to WP7, EVER. As a avid sim racing fan, the touchscreen controls/accelerometer would limit the controls so much. The steering would be fine, but braking and throttle would be severley limited. In sim racing games, smooth steering, throttle control, and braking are all extremley important and cannot be implimented when the touch screen only gives the user 2 throttle and brake positions (on/off). It's not a problem in the arcade racers but for a sim it would suck. It's one of the main reasons steering controlers are so popular. Also, I have no Idea how manual shifting could be implemented. Maybe a Project Gotham Racing mobile?

As far as Halo, they don't need to hire iPhone devs to make it for WP7. They have Bungie and 343 Studios

I think they need Multiplayer on WP7 Xbox Live and you shouldn't have to pay for it either.
    01-14-2012 03:02 PM
    Age of Empires or their similar RTS offerings. They can tone them down if the touchscreen proves to be an extremely limiting factor (you obviously won't be able to execute as many commands in the same amount of time without keyboard shortcuts and a mouse), but they have all the stuff there. Porting and adjusting seems like much less work than trying to establish a balanced game (very difficult from what I see with ARMED) from scratch. Such games also have real replay value.

I think they need Multiplayer on WP7 Xbox Live and you shouldn't have to pay for it either.
    This is true. I also think it's pretty dumb that they bundle multiplayer support on the console into a subscription. It should be free, period. On the phone, I don't think there's any way they could get away with charging for online - it's already annoying to many of us that XBL titles are priced at premiums due to achievements that we don't care for. XBL has what, 40 million subscribers? They're planning to sell more than 40 million Windows Phones, right?
    01-14-2012 10:41 PM
    Well if they are offering Batman Lumia phones, why not custom gamer phones!

http://www.windowscentral.com/nokia-...eads-its-wings
    01-15-2012 05:37 AM
    They have Bungie and 343 Studios
    Nope, Bungie is independent now. I know, it made me sad when I found out.
    01-15-2012 09:57 AM
    Well if they are offering Batman Lumia phones, why not custom gamer phones!

http://www.windowscentral.com/nokia-...eads-its-wings
    If only they had mass-produced this bad-boy... I would have snapped it up in a heartbeat! I was drooling when I 1st read about it. I'd learn to live with a smaller screen, even with my fat fingers, for the Batman 800. And I wanted an iPhone until I tried typing on one!
    01-15-2012 04:26 PM
    I feel the biggest thing MS needs to do to bolster market share is what they are doing with the 900: give carrier reps a reason to actually SELL the damn thing!
    01-15-2012 04:28 PM
    Bing Maps are too monochrome compared to Google Maps. People like color.
    I disagree. I prefer the elegance of Bing Maps' look to Google's offering. But then again, I like class.
    01-15-2012 05:03 PM
    That's just idiotic. The idea that millions of iPhone users are doing all these cool things like video editing and enjoying it just irks the **** out of you. Maybe you are trying to justify why you are paying so much for a WP7 and not getting 1/2 the functionality of an iPhone.
    Well, I do agree that the original statement was a bit of a stretch, but you might also try reading up on a little thing called confirmation bias.
    01-15-2012 05:04 PM
    Well, I do agree that the original statement was a bit of a stretch, but you might also try reading up on a little thing called confirmation bias.
    Actually I don't own a smartphone yet and I've been evaluating all the platforms for the last year. I didn't even know about iMovie until a few days ago and suddenly Windows Phone looks anemic by comparison when you start to think about the stock apps + 3rd party apps that iOS brings to the table. Maybe WP will get up to par in 2-3 years, but who is going to wait. Also to you WP7 fans - why do you accept a platform that doesn't let you do all the super cool things that iOS does?
    01-15-2012 05:06 PM
    Actually I don't own a smartphone yet and I've been evaluating all the platforms for the last year. I didn't even know about iMovie until a few days ago and suddenly Windows Phone looks anemic by comparison when you start to think about the stock apps + 3rd party apps that iOS brings to the table. Maybe WP will get up to par in 2-3 years, but who is going to wait. Also to you WP7 fans - why do you accept a platform that doesn't let you do all the super cool things that iOS does?
    gtfo
    01-16-2012 01:26 AM
    If the "best" platform for you is the one that can literally do absolutely the most, up to and including features you probably won't ever use, then you should be trumpeting android, not iOS, as it's the most tweakable and has the widest array of apps.

Back in the real world, if I were wanting to use a movie editor on my phone or there were some other app I *had* to have access to that was only available on one platform, then obviously that would be the platform I'd choose. However, the truth is the vast majority of smartphone functionality is available on all platforms and so it now comes down to preference for OS/hardware. Heck, I can tweet, post to facebook, use GPS maps, send email, browse the web and even track runs via GPS on my backup Palm Pixi, and that's not had a software update for nearly 2 years. Waiting is simply not required because all smartphones can do "super cool" stuff.
    willied likes this.
    01-16-2012 02:55 AM
    You'll note that the very vast majority of people here don't talk crap about platforms they haven't at least used for a reasonable amount of time.

But lets get this straight. You own neither a Windows Phone, an iPhone or an Android, yet somehow you find yourself qualified to pass judgement on the platforms. Riiiiiight ok.

To answer your question though; 1st and 3rd party apps are pretty much irrelivant once you've used the platform for any length of time. Rather than list all my personal problems with the devices, OS and company, I'll just say this:

On iOS I bought loads of apps, over 200 worth by the end but as cool as it felt to be able to make music on my phone, i never did, because its a phone. I was able to edit photos and do vector drawings too, but i didn't, because its a phone.

If I was stitting still long enough to do any of those things i was at home and doing them on the computer. Not only that, but doing it on the computer was faster, easier and didn't give a headache staring at a tiny screen.

With iOS and then Android I learned that it doesn't matter how many apps there are, you're still going to use the core functions more than anything else. Phone, music, internet.
    Reflexx, wolf1891 and willied like this.
    01-16-2012 06:27 AM
    Apps are never irrelevant unless.both platforms have the same apps, in which case it doesn't bear mentioning unless one platform is at a huge quality deficit. That would be thebcase in an Android vs. iphone comparison - forth most part.

Both first and third party apps are relevant, though.

Having a happy stock calendar, or browser, or email client, matters a lot. Blackberry users fled in proves to Android and iphone because ofbthe better browsing experience and the much better Html email clients.

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Tapatalk
    01-16-2012 11:08 AM
    I am really interested in getting a Windows phone device. I recently switched from Sprint to tmobile and using another android device. I really like the look of wp7 and might get the Nokia phone when it hits tmobile. I had a palm pre but webos turned out to be a complete failure.

I think wp7 problem is the devices but they are doing much better in apps than webos did. Most of the apps I want to use are there.

Does wp7 have swype?
    01-16-2012 11:48 AM
    I disagree. I prefer the elegance of Bing Maps' look to Google's offering. But then again, I like class.
    Does bing maps have turn by turn navigation like Google navigation for android ?
    01-16-2012 12:23 PM
    The reason why I own a Windows Phone is because everything else I own is Microsoft so might as well. If you use Apple for everything then its best to go with an iPhone. If you love to mess around and customize everything buy an Android.

Windows Phone is the best for communication IMO everything is well built in and I aint a app type of guy keep it stock and clean
    01-16-2012 12:29 PM
    Does bing maps have turn by turn navigation like Google navigation for android ?
    Bing maps does have turn by turn not as good as Nokia Drive I used it it wasn't bad at all. Also Bing maps have indoor maps too pretty cool. Not bad I thought it suck but I was wrong.
    01-16-2012 12:33 PM
    Yep.

Hold on map to drop the bing version of a pin. Click on it, select get directions. It sets your route, sets points at each turn with written directions and tracks you on the map too.
    01-16-2012 12:33 PM
    Remember this... Halo for the DS..

info:

Halo DS - Matt-IGN: Blog - IGN

bring that to the windows phone!
    01-28-2012 04:28 AM
    No, but its pretty clear that Microsoft and Apple will be introducing their version of Google Navigation soon. Probably this year.
    01-28-2012 09:15 AM
74 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD