How Microsoft could gain an easy 5-10% marketshare with Windows Phone...

Fleon

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
That's just idiotic. The idea that millions of iPhone users are doing all these cool things like video editing and enjoying it just irks the **** out of you. Maybe you are trying to justify why you are paying so much for a WP7 and not getting 1/2 the functionality of an iPhone.

Well, I do agree that the original statement was a bit of a stretch, but you might also try reading up on a little thing called confirmation bias.

KingCrimson

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
Well, I do agree that the original statement was a bit of a stretch, but you might also try reading up on a little thing called confirmation bias.

Actually I don't own a smartphone yet and I've been evaluating all the platforms for the last year. I didn't even know about iMovie until a few days ago and suddenly Windows Phone looks anemic by comparison when you start to think about the stock apps + 3rd party apps that iOS brings to the table. Maybe WP will get up to par in 2-3 years, but who is going to wait. Also to you WP7 fans - why do you accept a platform that doesn't let you do all the super cool things that iOS does?

M

mkr10001

Actually I don't own a smartphone yet and I've been evaluating all the platforms for the last year. I didn't even know about iMovie until a few days ago and suddenly Windows Phone looks anemic by comparison when you start to think about the stock apps + 3rd party apps that iOS brings to the table. Maybe WP will get up to par in 2-3 years, but who is going to wait. Also to you WP7 fans - why do you accept a platform that doesn't let you do all the super cool things that iOS does?

gtfo

Pronk

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site

If the "best" platform for you is the one that can literally do absolutely the most, up to and including features you probably won't ever use, then you should be trumpeting android, not iOS, as it's the most tweakable and has the widest array of apps.

Back in the real world, if I were wanting to use a movie editor on my phone or there were some other app I *had* to have access to that was only available on one platform, then obviously that would be the platform I'd choose. However, the truth is the vast majority of smartphone functionality is available on all platforms and so it now comes down to preference for OS/hardware. Heck, I can tweet, post to facebook, use GPS maps, send email, browse the web and even track runs via GPS on my backup Palm Pixi, and that's not had a software update for nearly 2 years. Waiting is simply not required because all smartphones can do "super cool" stuff.

mprice86

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site

You'll note that the very vast majority of people here don't talk crap about platforms they haven't at least used for a reasonable amount of time.

But lets get this straight. You own neither a Windows Phone, an iPhone or an Android, yet somehow you find yourself qualified to pass judgement on the platforms. Riiiiiight ok.

To answer your question though; 1st and 3rd party apps are pretty much irrelivant once you've used the platform for any length of time. Rather than list all my personal problems with the devices, OS and company, I'll just say this:

On iOS I bought loads of apps, over ?200 worth by the end but as cool as it felt to be able to make music on my phone, i never did, because its a phone. I was able to edit photos and do vector drawings too, but i didn't, because its a phone.

If I was stitting still long enough to do any of those things i was at home and doing them on the computer. Not only that, but doing it on the computer was faster, easier and didn't give a headache staring at a tiny screen.

With iOS and then Android I learned that it doesn't matter how many apps there are, you're still going to use the core functions more than anything else. Phone, music, internet.

N8ter

Banned
Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Apps are never irrelevant unless.both platforms have the same apps, in which case it doesn't bear mentioning unless one platform is at a huge quality deficit. That would be thebcase in an Android vs. iphone comparison - forth most part.

Both first and third party apps are relevant, though.

Having a happy stock calendar, or browser, or email client, matters a lot. Blackberry users fled in proves to Android and iphone because ofbthe better browsing experience and the much better Html email clients.

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Tapatalk

Dexter505

Jan 16, 2012
Visit site
I am really interested in getting a Windows phone device. I recently switched from Sprint to tmobile and using another android device. I really like the look of wp7 and might get the Nokia phone when it hits tmobile. I had a palm pre but webos turned out to be a complete failure.

I think wp7 problem is the devices but they are doing much better in apps than webos did. Most of the apps I want to use are there.

Does wp7 have swype?

based_graham

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site

The reason why I own a Windows Phone is because everything else I own is Microsoft so might as well. If you use Apple for everything then its best to go with an iPhone. If you love to mess around and customize everything buy an Android.

Windows Phone is the best for communication IMO everything is well built in and I aint a app type of guy keep it stock and clean

mprice86

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
Does bing maps have turn by turn navigation like Google navigation for android ?

Yep.

Hold on map to drop the bing version of a pin. Click on it, select get directions. It sets your route, sets points at each turn with written directions and tracks you on the map too.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss