T-Mobile store reps still hate Windows Phone?

Saljen

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
My friend friend saw the Nokia 710 and absolutely fell in love with it. She went to the store to buy it and you should of heard the way the T-Mobile store reps talked about Windows Phone. They talked about it like it's a disease. When I asked why she should chose an Android device over Windows Phone, the rep actually told me that Android is more "user friendly" and that unless she wanted to spend the next 3 months not knowing how to use her phone at all, then she better get an Android. I really had to bite my tounge at this point, the T-Mobile rep was obviously an idiot. I thought Microsoft was training these people on Windows Phone, if they can't get the sales reps to like it, then our little OS can never succeed.

aubreyq

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
My friend friend saw the Nokia 710 and absolutely fell in love with it. She went to the store to buy it and you should of heard the way the T-Mobile store reps talked about Windows Phone. They talked about it like it's a disease. When I asked why she should chose an Android device over Windows Phone, the rep actually told me that Android is more "user friendly" and that unless she wanted to spend the next 3 months not knowing how to use her phone at all, then she better get an Android. I really had to bite my tounge at this point, the T-Mobile rep was obviously an idiot. I thought Microsoft was training these people on Windows Phone, if they can't get the sales reps to like it, then our little OS can never succeed.
Hopefully your friend saw through the bullsh*t and got the Lumia! BTW, I have to laugh at the reps comment that Android is more "user friendly."

Premium1

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
That is why when I go into a carrier store(which is very rare) I just tell them what I want and that is it. I like to order online for that reason alone. Plus online they don't try and push you so hard for accessories.

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
I'm not really surprise about that, Windows Phone is not as easy to use as you might think. The other day an woman came in with an HD7 and it was a complete mess. The call tile was at the bottom of the screen, no people tile on the main screen, tiles were not organized neatly together so there was gaps everyone and just a bunch of pinned contacts. No mango either.

I did my best to put her phone presentable, putting the important things front and center and talked to her about the update, poor lady didn't even knew you could download applications because the rep tell her she couldn't. ( I guess it might be one of those days when the market is down by that was just crazy).

Have you give your phone to a person that has never use them? They don't know what do with it, as soon as they try to go to a third screen and find themselves unable too it's like their IQ drops 300 points. You can see the confuse and scared look on their faces.

Residing

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
You said she was your friend, yet you didn't educate her, or go back to the store with her to walk her through the WP OS so that she could make a true, informed decision?

I know it's her money, but some friend you are :)

aubreyq

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
You said she was your friend, yet you didn't educate her, or go back to the store with her to walk her through the WP OS so that she could make a true, informed decision?

I know it's her money, but some friend you are :)
Friends don't let friends get Android phones, hahahaha!

KingCrimson

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
I think it's speaks volumes that anyone could get lost on a Windows Phone. I mean think about it, when you press the home key on an iPhone you always get back to the home screen which has all the relevant stock apps and the "App Store" application on the bottom. It's impossible to get lost there - Windows Phone is more for hipster geeks.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Plenty of people get lost on the iPhone.

The truth is, older people that didn't really grow up with tech may get lost with many things that we consider user friendly.

There really should be a DVD that comes with every smartphone that goes over setting things up and basic tasks.

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
I think it's speaks volumes that anyone could get lost on a Windows Phone. I mean think about it, when you press the home key on an iPhone you always get back to the home screen which has all the relevant stock apps and the "App Store" application on the bottom. It's impossible to get lost there - Windows Phone is more for hipster geeks.

The problem with Windows Phone is that there's a lot of hidden menus in bellow the three dots and holding the tiles. So the woman didn't knew she could delete or move things on her main page. Of course learning that is as simple as reading the manual, or reading the first text message that Microsoft sends you, or reading the app that has all the info on how to use the phone But you cannot be sure anything will read any of that.

Thankfully Mango phones come with everything you need right in the screen, I like that when I reset my phone.

aubreyq

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
...Of course learning that is as simple as reading the manual, or reading the first text message that Microsoft sends you, or reading the app that has all the info on how to use the phone But you cannot be sure anything will read any of that.
That's a good point that I was going to bring up in a different thread. Windows Phone is not difficult to use BUT most people would need a short tutorial to get the concept (e.g. long presses, the 3 dots) that will help them get the most out of the phone. iOS, on the contrary, was designed to just grab and use without having to ask anyone anything and I have to say Apple has been very successful at accomplishing that goal.

jlarkins08

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
I work for t-mobile as a retail sales rep and I always find out what my customers need and want in a phone before I make my suggestions.. I don't just push phones on people and say that this OS is horrible or that OS is horrible.. I ask questions and find out what the customer needs then I give them my expert opinion... I personally use the Nokia lumia 710 got it a week before it came out and I love it.. Always showing customers what my phone can do and how it easy it is to operate.. Coming from a blackberry windows is blowing it out the water and I am happy that I decided to make the switch.. Yes I have an iPod touch 4 gen (32gb) and I love this thing for apps and music, but my Nokia is a way better phone than the iPhone or any other phone in my opinion.. So android and iOS and blackberry or even windows for that matter is not for everyone.. We all have to find out what we need and want in a phone..

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

jabtano

Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
All I can say is this if you walk into the T-MO store in Plastow NH. and ask for a WP7 device they walk you over to the display show you both device the radar and 710 show you how the OS operates how to change tiles move them around and remove them. they show you how you can add all your email accounts and how simple it is to use with facebook and such. I know I was there this week and a fellow walked in asking about the Nokia poster so I stood there waiting to just jump in. I never had too. the Manager of this store is on the ball she makes sure that all the reps know about all the products in the store. they guy bought the device and they helped him set it up and made sure when he walked out of there he knew what he was doing. I sent an email to T-MO saying how impressed I was with they the reps knew about the OS there was no why do you want that get that get an android speech at all.. which is why I'm going to hate leaving them but with no high end devices coming to T-MO that may happen.

aubreyq

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
I work for t-mobile as a retail sales rep and I always find out what my customers need and want in a phone before I make my suggestions.. I don't just push phones on people and say that this OS is horrible or that OS is horrible.. I ask questions and find out what the customer needs then I give them my expert opinion... I personally use the Nokia lumia 710 got it a week before it came out and I love it.. Always showing customers what my phone can do and how it easy it is to operate.. Coming from a blackberry windows is blowing it out the water and I am happy that I decided to make the switch.. Yes I have an iPod touch 4 gen (32gb) and I love this thing for apps and music, but my Nokia is a way better phone than the iPhone or any other phone in my opinion.. So android and iOS and blackberry or even windows for that matter is not for everyone.. We all have to find out what we need and want in a phone..

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
I wish all carrier salespeople would be like you :)

ayopancheezy

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site
Wow really? My local T-Mobile store actually like Windows Phone 7. They tried to persuade me to get the HD7 sometime ago, but i already had it.

I had android...and in no way is it more "user friendly" than WP7..

jeremyshaw

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
Local mall T-mobile store in Roseville, Cali (an actual store, not one of the partner kiosks), seem to be open and friendly to any platform, though at least one of the reps runs a Radar as his phone. Was stopping by to see about the HTC Sensation (sorry.... if that phone arrived on AT&T, I would of likely never looked beyond my ill, badly executed, and dysfunctional Moto Atrix), since I really loved the version back home, but my family here is already AT&T (a good thing, for my WP7 taste; a bad thing, when I was still enamored with Android).

Either way, I think it's conditional on the person. I have seen reps at BB, Frys, spew their opinions as fact to people who don't know much, and are willing to accept whatever the rep says as true... Even the local AT&T store (one of the reps) seemed suprised that I would want a WP7 device (though this was just as the first of the 1.5gen WP7 phones launched, so it's understandable).

Matts4313

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Tested today, went to a TMo Store, ATT and BBY.

TMo- The displays were everywhere and the person helping me had just been given a Radar to learn WP with... But was still bad mouthing the platform. Said she hates WP because of the HD2.

BBY - The guy >literally< didnt even know they sold WP7

ATT - Not a single WP7 active display, they were all dummy phones. Had the droids and iPhones as active devices..

Smack my head.

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
My Local T-mobile actually was the one that convince me to go to another carrier. They talk so bad about the HD7 that I wouldn't even dream of getting that device.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo