Windows Phone 7 doomed to fail?

Aeon2k

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
All Microsoft needs to do is include a WP with the purchase of each new Windows 8 PC and they will be #1 in no time.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express

It would imo even be enough if they made some sort of promotion that if you buy a Windows 8 PC you get a 100+ $/? price reduction on the WP7 of your choice or something like that. That would make the Windows 8 + WP7 phone package more attractive than each separately and should be somewhat of a sales boost to both.

KingCrimson

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
That Abdel guy is an obvious Apple ****** and he wasn't even really listening to Jon's valid points. He is in Apple la-la land and nothing else matters.

rightontime

Jan 16, 2012
Visit site
As an avid android ****** I really hope WP7 is successful. Was really interested in them before even trying one out and when I did I liked it even more! Metro is very slick looking. Can't say I would switch from my Galaxy nexus though, I've been with android since the G1.

Really wish Microsoft still made zunes, I would definitely buy one.

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
As an avid android ****** I really hope WP7 is successful. Was really interested in them before even trying one out and when I did I liked it even more! Metro is very slick looking. Can't say I would switch from my Galaxy nexus though, I've been with android since the G1.

I gotta say it's refreshing to hear this from a self-professed fandroid! I take a similar approach to my rabid wp7 fanboyism. Although I would rather go back to a feature phone than use an android or ios device, I hope they stick around for two reasons: 1 no one OS is gonna please everybody; and 2 competition makes everybody improve to stay in the game.

condemned

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
Obviously WP7 isn't doomed to fail but I doubt it'll ever overtake iOS or Android. Their marketshare still isn't even close to beating BlackBerry which leaves them in 4th place and that saddens me since I believe WP7 is a better OS than BB.

I'm guessing Microsoft has too much focus on the PC and even the Xbox before WP7.

This OS is good but like Palm, it's not as popular as we'd all like it to be.

I think iOS and Android will always be fighting for first place while WP7 fights for 3rd with BB in terms of marketshare/popularity.

I hope Microsoft doesn't abandon it like they did Windows Mobile because this is actually a good OS.

condemned

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site

Same here

I bought an HD7 around this time last year and liked the OS but it was still second to Android in my opinion and still is today. WP7 has gained a ton of support since its debut but it's still very, very far from iOS and Android.

I went back to Android last year and I still hold interest in WP7 but right now if someone asked me if I would trade my Sensation for any WP7 out I would say no. And that's only because I prefer Android as of now.

WP is a great OS but I think it coming out after iOS and Android have been so successful will prevent it from overtaking them. It'll always be fighting for 3rd with BB at this point.

WP needs hardware that can match the newest iPhone and the top Android phones. It's come a long way in terms of features and support but it's still behind Android and iOS very much. Their apps being more expensive doesn't help either.

Just look at the roadmaps. Android is already rumored to be coming out with quad core phones and even nicer screen technology that's better than 720p, qHD, and SA+ (all of which are already out on current Android phones). Obviously the next iPhone will also come out with new hardware. All the time while WP will just be releasing phones with hardware Android and iPhone have already had since a year prior. Of course the hardware is good but the better hardware will be more eye catching. This is why I think WP will continue to play catch up.

Last edited:

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
It'll always be fighting for 3rd with BB at this point.

Its got a ways to go before its even at that point. BB holds a solid 3rd. 2012 may bring WP closer, but BB has a great new Platform in QNX rolling out Q3 also. Blackberry's App World for their new OS is really taking off too, for the short time its been out. I would guess it nearly matches the quantity of WP Marketplace, but I think WP Marketplace has the lead in Quality. The BB Playbook does have some decent games though. RIM made sure to support all the major game engines.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if all 4 platforms were closer to leveling out overall marketshare, after this year. They all look to be strong platforms.

condemned

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
Its got a ways to go before its even at that point. BB holds a solid 3rd. 2012 may bring WP closer, but BB has a great new Platform in QNX rolling out Q3 also. Blackberry's App World for their new OS is really taking off too, for the short time its been out. I would guess it nearly matches the quantity of WP Marketplace, but I think WP Marketplace has the lead in Quality. The BB Playbook does have some decent games though. RIM made sure to support all the major game engines.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if all 4 platforms were closer to leveling out overall marketshare, after this year. They all look to be strong platforms.

Yes I mentioned it's still got a long way to even passing BB (which is still one of the most popular mobile platforms).

I thought 2010 would be the year RIM goes to **** but they showed that they could still hang with OS7 and now QNX is looking impressive. But I doubt either will overtake iOS or Android anytime soon. These are the top 4 platforms but I honestly see it like this for years down the road: iOS and Android fighting for the top spot with BB and WP7 fighting for the next spot.

Microsoft doesn't have to be #1 but they could still get some good marketshare if they really make a good effort.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I think people are underestimating Nokia.

I think that Nokia's ad campaign and solid devices will almost single-handedly propel WP into a solid #3 position by the end of the year. And the wave will bring along other WP OEMs along with it. Just like the Droid did for Android. Not only did the Droid sell well, but it brought along a lot of the other Android phones with it.

I would not be surprised to see WP break 5% by the end of the year. And then 15% by the end of next year. By the end of 2014, WP will be right up there competing closely with iOS and Android with over 25%.

condemned

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
I think people are underestimating Nokia.

I think that Nokia's ad campaign and solid devices will almost single-handedly propel WP into a solid #3 position by the end of the year. And the wave will bring along other WP OEMs along with it. Just like the Droid did for Android. Not only did the Droid sell well, but it brought along a lot of the other Android phones with it.

I would not be surprised to see WP break 5% by the end of the year. And then 15% by the end of next year. By the end of 2014, WP will be right up there competing closely with iOS and Android with over 25%.

The difference is that back then the iPhone was on only one carrier and the top Android was exclusive to one carrier.

Now we have top Android phones on all carriers and the iPhone is no longer exclusive to just one carrier.

Also, Nokia is really popular outside the US, not so much in the states.

sr!

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
I'm a wanna be wp7 convert. I'm almost there - like 90%. But reading negativity hurts, but I don't think I can go for another iOS device. And I hate anything google. That's my personal opinion so wouldn't go for android, and I really really like wp7.
Darren Murph had only bad things to say on engadget podcast recently from CES - And this was after Nokia announcement. He predicts wp7 won't even b around in 3 years.
Tom Warren in the verge wrote an article this morning about quality of apps in wp7, another sad negative promotion. I really hope MS can come out of the crappy advertisement from the media.

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities

Last edited:

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Nokia still has a very strong brand for consumers over the age of 33 or so. Not techies, but average people who had Nokia as their first phone. Most people in the US have no idea why Nokia almost disappeared in the US. But their memories are positive.

As I said, I think people are underestimating Nokia.

Even though Android and iOS are out there on multiple carriers, that does not exactly translate into brand loyalty. Many are willing to jump ship.

Check out these recently released numbers.

iPhone 4S inches Apple closer to Android in top market share | Apple - CNET News

“Analyzing last year’s smartphone market, NPD found that iOS’s share surged to 43 percent in October and November from just 26 percent in the third quarter, thanks largely to demand for the iPhone 4S. Though Google’s mobile OS maintained its lead, its share dropped in October and November to 47 percent from 60 percent in the previous quarter.”

Google = 47% (was 60%. Lost 13%)
Apple = 43% (was 26%. Gained 17%)

Those are big swings that happen in a very short period of time. There's a significant portion of the existing smartphone market that really has no loyalty to a particular product yet.

There are many more feature phone users that are expected to upgrade to smartphones. This is an area that MS is targeting. And WP has some excellent cheap devices right now in the form of Gen 1 phones or phone like the Lumia 710.

condemned

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
I'm a wanna be wp7 convert. I'm almost there - like 90%. But reading negativity hurts, but I don't think I can go for another iOS device. And I hate anything google. That's my personal opinion so wouldn't go for android, and I really really like wp7.
Darren Murphy had only bad things to say on engadget podcast recently from CES - And this was after Nokia announcement. He predicts wp7 won't even b around in 3 years.
Tom Warren in the verge wrote an article this morning about quality of apps in wp7, another sad negative promotion. I really hope MS can come out of the crappy advertisement from the media.

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities

1st world problems

Stop taking everything on the forums so seriously and go play with a phone in a store and base your opinion on that.

based_graham

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
Same here

I bought an HD7 around this time last year and liked the OS but it was still second to Android in my opinion and still is today. WP7 has gained a ton of support since its debut but it's still very, very far from iOS and Android.

I went back to Android last year and I still hold interest in WP7 but right now if someone asked me if I would trade my Sensation for any WP7 out I would say no. And that's only because I prefer Android as of now.

WP is a great OS but I think it coming out after iOS and Android have been so successful will prevent it from overtaking them. It'll always be fighting for 3rd with BB at this point.

WP needs hardware that can match the newest iPhone and the top Android phones. It's come a long way in terms of features and support but it's still behind Android and iOS very much. Their apps being more expensive doesn't help either.

Just look at the roadmaps. Android is already rumored to be coming out with quad core phones and even nicer screen technology that's better than 720p, qHD, and SA+ (all of which are already out on current Android phones). Obviously the next iPhone will also come out with new hardware. All the time while WP will just be releasing phones with hardware Android and iPhone have already had since a year prior. Of course the hardware is good but the better hardware will be more eye catching. This is why I think WP will continue to play catch up.

You can look at it that way but I look at it this way. The average consumer probably wont care if his/her phone is dual/quad core as long as the phone is fast, smooth and delivers a great experience.

Didn't MS sign a deal with Qualcomm so whatever their flagship chip is going to be is probably what WP is going to run on. Say if MS doesn't reach quad core status by the end of this year dual core might actually provide them with some sort of advantage over its iOS and Android quadcore counterparts.

Price is a big advantage. I am going to assume the flagship Android and iOS phones will retail at 199$ if WP flagship product can be sold at 149$ I bet WP is more appealing to the average user. The average user will probably have a mindset of "ehh I dont need quad core etc I am going to go with what works at a lower cost" or "ehh I dont think I want to spend 200$ on a iPhone when I can get a Lumia for 149$" As long as the WP are priced competitively against the Quad core super phones WP will do great!

Low end phones. If Android and iOS keep going up the charts in hardware the low-end market will slowly open up to MS. If WP can provide that awesome low-end experience they will eat up alot of marketshare. Most likely the iPhone 4 will struggle running iPhone 5 apps and samething goes for low-end Androids.

The way that WP is optimized low end handsets user experience is the same as its high end counterparts and I can see that attracting alot of people.

So going quadcore might be awesome for power hungry users but dont count out lower spec dual cores and single cores to still compete. As of right now no phones beat the Samsung Focus Flash and Lumia 710 as budget phones.

rightontime

Jan 16, 2012
Visit site
I gotta say it's refreshing to hear this from a self-professed fandroid! I take a similar approach to my rabid wp7 fanboyism. Although I would rather go back to a feature phone than use an android or ios device, I hope they stick around for two reasons: 1 no one OS is gonna please everybody; and 2 competition makes everybody improve to stay in the game.

As much as I love android I'll be the first one to admit there is still a lot of problems with it. Competition is always good but sometimes I wish they can collaborate on things. Having Facetime, Gtalk, and I''m assuming skype for WP7 are all different video chatting services. While I'll probably never use video calling it would be nice if video calling was as easy as facetime across all phones.

mprice86

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
As much as I love android I'll be the first one to admit there is still a lot of problems with it. Competition is always good but sometimes I wish they can collaborate on things. Having Facetime, Gtalk, and I''m assuming skype for WP7 are all different video chatting services. While I'll probably never use video calling it would be nice if video calling was as easy as facetime across all phones.

Current status on skype for Windows Phone is hazy at best but it's looking like it'll be an app first (soon, apparently) and then full OS integration with Apollo.

@based_graham

I would also add that the Tango update is supposedly adding compatibility with further low end devices so there is a strong possibility we'll see sub-?200 handsets unlocked or free on contract before the summer. If Microsoft can get the OS running as well as it does now on lower end hardware then they could really be on to a winner with the current feature phone users.

based_graham

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
Current status on skype for Windows Phone is hazy at best but it's looking like it'll be an app first (soon, apparently) and then full OS integration with Apollo.

@based_graham

I would also add that the Tango update is supposedly adding compatibility with further low end devices so there is a strong possibility we'll see sub-?200 handsets unlocked or free on contract before the summer. If Microsoft can get the OS running as well as it does now on lower end hardware then they could really be on to a winner with the current feature phone users.

Cant wait hopefully we see Blackberry style devices

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro