Lumia 800 from asia pacific works on Bell

Nataku4ca

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
Hi Guys

just to confirm, I finally got my hands on the beautiful thing and can confirm it works on Bell (so most carriers except one of the Quebec ones I think)

oh and ya, should've waited for CES, now Telus is getting it in March or something lol, oh well couldn't wait

BEAUTIFUL PHONE :D very happy atm

yumcha

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
Can you text message and everything?...I've read that some people are having problems with mms and internet access?...Im planning on getting one as well, I'm in the Vancouver area.

Nataku4ca

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
Can you text message and everything?...I've read that some people are having problems with mms and internet access?...Im planning on getting one as well, I'm in the Vancouver area.
i dont have any issues so far, can't test 3G though... i got cheap and went the "use wifi for as long as i can until i make more $" :p

as far as the batteries go, im guessing either i got new batch or they fixed the issue, had the thing on last night and i haven't seen any decrease in battery, bluetooth not on though, still have to play with it more to see.. :)

yumcha

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the quick reply!
...darn, too bad you can't the 3G...I'm in Hong Kong right now and I'm leaving soon...Im either going to pull the trigger and buy the cyan one...or get the nokia N9....if I can find one in HK before I leave...

Nataku4ca

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the quick reply!
...darn, too bad you can't the 3G...I'm in Hong Kong right now and I'm leaving soon...Im either going to pull the trigger and buy the cyan one...or get the nokia N9....if I can find one in HK before I leave...
:) well if it helps, apparently Telus is getting the 800 somewhere around March (Rogers got the 710)

yumcha

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
Okay so just so everyone else who reads this knows, I've purchased the Lumia 800 from Hong Kong as well and am using it on Bell Network in Vancouver, the 3G does work! although it only supports the 1900 mhz HSDPA..and not the 850 mhz, it still works pretty flawlessly.

Very happy with my purchase :D

MrBacon42

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
Okay so just so everyone else who reads this knows, I've purchased the Lumia 800 from Hong Kong as well and am using it on Bell Network in Vancouver, the 3G does work! although it only supports the 1900 mhz HSDPA..and not the 850 mhz, it still works pretty flawlessly.

so the fact that it doesn't support 850Hz has no effect on performance?

Also can i get some opinions?: Currently I am using a loaner android phone as my palm pre broke a while back. Since it was still under warranty Bell said they would give me $200 towards a new phone (they can't fix the pre). So I have the option of either getting the HTC HD7 from bell, an unlocked lumia800, or waiting to see if Bell gets a new wp. any thoughts?

Bifurcated

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
What are your thoughts on the 800 versus the 900? Are you happy you got the 800, or wishing you'd held out to see if the 900 shows up?

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
Mrbacon42: The HD7 is a great device, especially running mango. I'm using it to post this. :) However, that 800 is a sexy beast... If I had smaller hands I'd scoop one up in a heartbeat! If the screen size thing isn't an issue for you you'd be hard-pressed to beat the 800. And with the Nokia-exclusive apps it becomes an easier choice. 800. From somebody who loves his HD7.

yumcha

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
so the fact that it doesn't support 850Hz has no effect on performance?

Also can i get some opinions?: Currently I am using a loaner android phone as my palm pre broke a while back. Since it was still under warranty Bell said they would give me $200 towards a new phone (they can't fix the pre). So I have the option of either getting the HTC HD7 from bell, an unlocked lumia800, or waiting to see if Bell gets a new wp. any thoughts?
well I live in Vancouver, some people I've read say they get a jump in 3G to 2G reception..but I've been using it all day now and so far all I've is the 3.5G and 3G. So far there doesnt seem to be any performance issue.

Bell hasn't announced any Wp devices yet, and Telus will be locked...so I know that any Nokia Windows device taht will become available is going to be carrier locked which means it will take forever for device updates because the updates have to be rolled out by the carrier. My unlocked Lumia is from HK Nokia, so when any update becomes available I'll get them much faster.

I was in HK for 3 weeks and I was looking at a lot of phones and nothing really caught my eye, I am not a fan of Apple, and I use to use android but it didn't really do much for me. Half of the Apps were useless and battery consumption was terrible. The past few years I've consistently gone back to Nokia, but also I am a huge nokia fan...I've been using the Nokia E6 and N8 for a while now and I love it.

I'm not a huge fan of HTC I've never really liked any of there phones or design...If I was to get any Android phone I would wait for the New Sony Xperia S that was just announced at CES.

I'd recommend the Lumia 800 at the end because the design is beautiful and the OS is pretty slick and smooth, it has great facebook integration...and it's just something different also that no one has in Vancouver (thats if youre sick of the android and Apple phones)

yumcha

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
What are your thoughts on the 800 versus the 900? Are you happy you got the 800, or wishing you'd held out to see if the 900 shows up?
I am very happy with the 800, I was thinking of waiting for the 900, but as freestaterocker states it depends...for me I actually do not like my phones being very big, so I found the 800 to be a perfect size and I am very very happy with a 3.7 inch screen.

The 900 has a 4.3 screen, but screen size is not an issue for me, and I dont konw if you google pictures of people comparing the phones, I personally still love the design of the 800, it's much smoother and more slick looking to me, as the 900 has a wierd bezel around the touch screen, and the glass i believe isn't curved anymore like the 800.

The only reason I would wait for the 900 is because of NFC, but seeing how it is not being used very much and the specs between the 2 phones are almost identical, I prefer the 800.

I'd say if screen issue isn't a problem and NFC doesnt matter to you, I'd say go for the Lumia 800. Also the 900 is going to be damn expensive and AT&T is going to launch it exclusively, so we won't know when it will be avaiable to the rest of the public/world.

Nataku4ca

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site

Very happy with my purchase :D
@yumcha
congrats :) glad you like the 800

@MrBacon42
thats a tough call, if your will to wait a little bit, may be wait for mobile world congress, i think we might be surprised, but then again its hard to say

wonder if Nokia would sell unlocked versions of the phone here like in the states, is Bell limiting ur 200 credit to their stores?

yumcha

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
yeah wait till the MWC if you can...but I don't know if Nokia willl release any new Windows phone...although I hope I am wrong, but I think they'll probably release a few new Symbian Belle devices most likely (possibly the successor to N8?)...because they won't want to take away any attention from the Lumia 900 that just launched recently.

The only other thing is that if you wait till MWC...the phones announced then probably won't be released to Q2 to Q3 probably...really depends how bad you want a new phone...haha :p

MrBacon42

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
@Nataku4ca
ya I have to get a bell phone otherwise i wont get the discount, although I'm sure if I argue enough maybe they'll just credit the money to my bill if I buy an unlocked phone.

I've already been waiting a few months for a new phone, but I guess I'll wait until mwc at least. I wouldn't want to pay full price for an 800 and then have bell announce the 900 soon after.

hwalker84

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
I am very happy with the 800, I was thinking of waiting for the 900, but as freestaterocker states it depends...for me I actually do not like my phones being very big, so I found the 800 to be a perfect size and I am very very happy with a 3.7 inch screen.

The 900 has a 4.3 screen, but screen size is not an issue for me, and I dont konw if you google pictures of people comparing the phones, I personally still love the design of the 800, it's much smoother and more slick looking to me, as the 900 has a wierd bezel around the touch screen, and the glass i believe isn't curved anymore like the 800.

The only reason I would wait for the 900 is because of NFC, but seeing how it is not being used very much and the specs between the 2 phones are almost identical, I prefer the 800.

I'd say if screen issue isn't a problem and NFC doesnt matter to you, I'd say go for the Lumia 800. Also the 900 is going to be damn expensive and AT&T is going to launch it exclusively, so we won't know when it will be avaiable to the rest of the public/world.

The 900 doesn't have NFC unless you meant to type FFC?

yumcha

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
The 900 doesn't have NFC unless you meant to type FFC?

hmm...well at first I thought it didn't have NFC...because I've been hearing that Windows right now doesn't or can't support it...but at multiple sites it has listed it to have NFC...so I'm not even to sure now...GSMArena lists it, so does Mynokiablog I believe...

I guess I will have to look into this more now...hahaha :p

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
to clear a phew things up on behlf of bell:

- if you have problems with texting or data , you simply need to fix your APN settings ( the bell once )

Bell Mobility

APN1: pda2.bell.ca
Leave the Username and Password blank.

APN2: pda2.bell.ca
- Leave the Username and Password blank.
MMSC: http://mms.bell.ca/mms/wapenc
MMS Proxy: web.wireless.bell.ca
PORT: 80

=================================================

Will your phone work on Telus/Bell's HSPA network?

With the launch of Telus & Bell's new HSPA network, there seems to be quite a few questions on whether a particular phone will work or not.

In order for your unlocked phone to work on Telus & Bell's new network, the phone must have the following frequency support:

UMTS/HSPA 850MHz and/or 1900MHz

Ideally your phone should support both frequencies to get the best coverage.

Bell & Telus do not have the GSM/EDGE network to fall back on like Rogers/Fido do, and they do not support HSPA on the 2100MHz frequency. That means if you cannot get an HSPA (3G) signal, you will have no service on these phones.

Hope this clears up any confusion.

==================================================

PS bell MIGHTbe getting the 900 .. ;)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte