Leaving cell phone plugged in all night.

Duvi

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
If you can avoid charging overnight, avoid it!

It doesn't matter if you charge it 6 times a day as long as it isn't at 100% and still charging. I usually stop it around the high 90s.

canesfan625

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
If you can avoid charging overnight, avoid it!

It doesn't matter if you charge it 6 times a day as long as it isn't at 100% and still charging. I usually stop it around the high 90s.

im pretty sure there is a discrepancy between what the % says and actual charge. By that I mean there should be measures to keep the battery from charging to much. Its also probably why the battery drains quick through the first 10%. Unless you have a crappy 3rd party charger than all bets might be off. I'm not sure if it is controlled from the phone side as well

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
I think it's all in your head. Batteries are made to last 2-3 years, which is how long a contract is.
Long enough for you to get a new phone. So just set it and forget it people.

canesfan625

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
I think it's all in your head. Batteries are made to last 2-3 years, which is how long a contract is.
Long enough for you to get a new phone. So just set it and forget it people.

OpoQQ.jpg

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Batteries had a charge limit or something I heard. So it shouldn't matter if you make a quick charge or a long one. It still going to die after a certain time.

Duvi

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
Batteries had a charge limit or something I heard. So it shouldn't matter if you make a quick charge or a long one. It still going to die after a certain time.
Exactly, but being at 100% and continuing to charge it, reduces that. So for example, if you battery has 100 cycles before it craps out or starts to... continuing to charge it will help get it there faster than not charging all the way.

If I can find this podcast I listened to about this, from a battery expert, I'd post it up. Good info on that.

/me heads to find the podcast

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
So I guess it's a bad idea to sync your phone with PC if you still have a full charge? Or even yet, it's a really bad idea to wirelessly sync your phone, because MS states that we have to have it plugged in to the wall to do that.

I don't think so. Your battery is going to die within 2 years, regardless how you charge it. Think of a battery that has been sitting on the shelf, unbought, unused. Would you buy a 2 year old battery? It's going to deteriorate, even with absolutely no charging cycle.

canesfan625

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
Exactly, but being at 100% and continuing to charge it, reduces that. So for example, if you battery has 100 cycles before it craps out or starts to... continuing to charge it will help get it there faster than not charging all the way.

If I can find this podcast I listened to about this, from a battery expert, I'd post it up. Good info on that.

It shouldn't work like that. The charger should close the circuit at a certain point. You don't want to leave it charging 24x7 esp if you are using it because parasitic charge. that it stresses and cycles the battery.

its about how much time you spend doing it. Also, blanket statements of only getting two years is subjective. I'm willing to bet im not the only person that's gotten more than two years off a battery

Last edited:

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site

Duvi, I am sure you're right for optimum battery life. Myself, the convenience is important, I am going plug my phone in every night and let it charge overnight. If I need a new battery after 6 month or a year, it's no big deal to me. :cool:

Duvi

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
It shouldn't work like that. The charger should close the circuit at a certain point. You don't want to leave it charging 24x7 esp if you are using it because parasitic charge. that it stresses and cycles the battery.

its about how much time you spend doing it. Also, blanket statements of only getting two years is subjective. I'm willing to bet im not the only person that's gotten more than two years off a battery
Found the podcast. One of the moderators at TiPb.com runs this site.

http://justanothergeeksite.com/2010/07/so-a-battery-walks-into-a-bar/

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
At the 7:30 mark is when they start talking about it. The guest does charge it overnight, but listening to it, if you don't have to, don't.

He says the same thing with laptops.

I listened to part of it, now my question is why is keeping it at 100% stressful to the battery?

Also, for the rest of you guys I read here:

How to Prolong Lithium-based Batteries - Battery University

That says that partial charges are better for Lithium Ion batteries. You'll get more life out of your battery that way than if you were to always fully discharge, then fully charge your batteries.

Big Supes

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
I completely destroyed my last laptop battery by fully discharging, then fully charging it. I won't be doing that again. My current laptop, granted - probably has a higher quality battery, but after 18 months, it still gives out a good 3+ hours life when on the move. I've been keeping this laptop (like my phone) fully charged when I can.

It's quite a norm thing for me to charge my phone, either in the car, when I get home, or go to bed.

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
I completely destroyed my last laptop battery by fully discharging, then fully charging it. I won't be doing that again. My current laptop, granted - probably has a higher quality battery, but after 18 months, it still gives out a good 3+ hours life when on the move. I've been keeping this laptop (like my phone) fully charged when I can.

It's quite a norm thing for me to charge my phone, either in the car, when I get home, or go to bed.

I've also destroyed a laptop battery by leaving it plugged in all the time like the dude said not to do. I mean, the good quality chargers are smart enough to stop charging when the battery is full, but I still can't figure out why keeping your battery plugged in and the 95-100% range all the time is bad for battery life.

canesfan625

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
I've also destroyed a laptop battery by leaving it plugged in all the time like the dude said not to do. I mean, the good quality chargers are smart enough to stop charging when the battery is full, but I still can't figure out why keeping your battery plugged in and the 95-100% range all the time is bad for battery life.

Keeping it plugged in is bad because you are confusing the charger. It creates a set of conditions where the charger will essentially keep the phone in a continued state of charge. 95-100% is bad because high voltage kills batteries. Keep in mind though that just because your phone says 100% that doesnt necessarily mean the battery is. Some devices purposely report different %s to prevent this kind of thing.

Big Supes

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
The other morning the green LED was on (full battery signal on HD7) after it had been plugged in all night, but the battery indicator was showing around 85%. Weird.

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
Keeping it plugged in is bad because you are confusing the charger. It creates a set of conditions where the charger will essentially keep the phone in a continued state of charge. 95-100% is bad because high voltage kills batteries. Keep in mind though that just because your phone says 100% that doesnt necessarily mean the battery is. Some devices purposely report different %s to prevent this kind of thing.

Okay that makes sense then. The article I linked to earlier was talking about voltage vs capacity vs battery longevity.

kevm14

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Would you buy a 2 year old battery? It's going to deteriorate, even with absolutely no charging cycle.

This. Li-Ion is particularly susceptible to this. The best thing for a Li-Ion is what the Chevy Volt does - keep it climate controlled and manage the charge and discharge level. That is too impractical for a phone, so just use it.

Also, for storage, they say somewhere around 40% SoC is best. So keeping them at 100% is surely not good for life. But what are you going to do...it's a phone. Not worth jumping through hoops to make a $35 battery last 4 years instead of 2.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb